Author Topic: As a Retired Black Naval Officer, I Believe the Push to Rename Ships Goes Too Far  (Read 147 times)

rangerrebew

As a Retired Black Naval Officer, I Believe the Push to Rename Ships Goes Too Far

16 Feb 2021
Military.com | By S.O. Rasbury

Retired Lt. Cmdr. S. O. Rasbury is a former naval aviator who now flies for a major airline.

As the Navy considers renaming a couple of its ships of the line, it's become obvious to even the most casual of observers that the military has gone whole-hog on cancel culture.

I can understand renaming the Nimitz-class carrier Stennis, given its namesake John C. Stennis' segregationist background. But I am concerned that once we start down this path, there is a risk of creating something that takes on a life of its own.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/opinions/2021/02/16/retired-black-naval-officer-i-believe-push-rename-ships-goes-too-far.html

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I thought renaming ships is bad juju?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline skeeter

I’m all for going back to the old protocol - Capital ships for states and famous battles, cruisers for towns and cities, and destroyers and frigates for military heroes. No more presidents and congresspeople or civil rights leaders. This should be inoffensive to all.

If we continue down this path the left will insist upon naming navy ships after politically ideological figures.