Author Topic: BREAKING>>> Rush has passed  (Read 6357 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
Re: BREAKING>>> Rush has passed
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2021, 01:00:34 am »
Such a shame; we could use his words of wisdom on the horrific stunt Cruz pulled getting out of an ice storm and going to Cancun!  *****rollingeyes*****

We miss you already Rush!

I channeled Rush on that thread. :patriot: He would have done a much better job, but I was in the ball park.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2021, 01:51:30 am »
The big question is who will replace Limbaugh? But can he be replaced? I didn't agree with his support of Trump, but there's literally nobody in the ranks who can replace what he did for conservatism. It wasn't just his support for the conservatism agenda, it was his whole personality, showmanship, and general ability to rouse the masses...the conservative and the liberal masses.
 I was still voting for Dems when I started listening to Rush back in the nineties. I shortly made a switch but not necessarily because of Limbaugh.
But even disagreeing with some of his stances on the issues, Limbaugh was just so entertaining I couldn't stop listening to him.
As a number of prominent conservative media figures have stated, he was the Babe Ruth of radio. Nobody like him preceded the Babe. Nobody like Limbaugh preceded him. Not even Paul Harvey who inspired Limbaugh and who in turn supported and praised Limbaugh.
Harvey was huge in his day but didn't come close to what Limbaugh created.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2021, 11:52:02 pm »
Mark Steyn's message on Rush's show today:
    Yes, America's Anchorman is away, as I have said at the start of all these guest-hosting stints for fifteen years. America's Anchorman is away, playing among the stars, on that great radio set in the sky for all eternity, because those radio waves never stop. So three decades of Rush are flying across the galaxies now and forever - and all those early disc-jockey shows too.

At Ronald Reagan's memorial, the President's dear friend Margaret Thatcher said:

'For the final years of his life, Ronnie's mind was clouded by illness. That cloud has now lifted. He is himself again, more himself than at any time on this Earth.'

Rush's mind was entirely unclouded, right to the end, as you know if you heard his last show just a fortnight ago. But for this miserable ghastly final year his body was ravaged – and that cloud is now lifted and he is free of that wasted shell and, in Mrs Thatcher's words, more himself than at any time on this Earth. And I am not a theological scholar so I do not know how it works in the great hereafter or whether they need bumper music of the spheres up there but I hope Rush's hearing is restored and a grand old disc-jockey can hear all his favorite hits, like that spectacular intro to Tom Jones' 'It's Not Unusual' that he especially liked.

Rush was unusual – unique and irreplaceable; nothing like him in the history of American broadcasting. Today, just forty-eight hours after a grim ending we all – deep inside – knew was coming, we will remember Rush and we will hear Rush.
More at Steyn Online

Kathryn will be with Mark on Monday's show.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online libertybele

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2021, 11:59:35 pm »
Mark Steyn's message on Rush's show today:More at Steyn Online

Kathryn will be with Mark on Monday's show.

I'll try to tune in.  It's hard to accept that the Great El Rushbo is no longer with us.

I appreciate that they are taking the time to eulogize him and rightfully so; I enjoy hearing how he got started and the various sound clips.  But ... millions are wondering what if anything comes next? 

Perhaps Kathryn has a message for us  ... possibly Rush's wishes as to what happens to the show.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:01:50 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2021, 12:02:53 am »
I wanted to mention an anecdote we heard yesterday from a high school friend of Mr. M. The friend I'll call "Steve" lived in Cape Girardeau a few decades ago. He was married with two small children. The Limbaugh family lived next door - Rush's parents and grandmother, who was in her 90s with dementia.

One night, Grandma was smoking too carelessly and caught the living room drapes on fire, a situation of which she was completely unaware. Steve's kids came into his house and said, "Hey, dad, the Limbaughs have fireworks!" Steve ran outside, saw the flames, and tried to get into the Limbaugh home. The door was locked, so he broke in and found Mrs. Limbaugh trying to extinguish the flames with a pitcher of water. He yelled at her to get out, picked up Grandma and slung her over his shoulder, and carried her next door to safety. Mrs. L also fled to safety. He told his wife to keep an eye on the grandmother, then returned to the Limbaugh house to try to help Rush's mom retrieve whatever personal belongings they could save.

A couple hours later, he returned home. His wife - who, by all accounts, was a very disagreeable woman (wife #2 is a lovely woman, in contrast) - told him he needed to get that old lady off her hands before she killed her. "What's the problem?" he asked.

"She keeps asking me the same four questions, over and over," harridan wife #1 said, with a remarkable lack of empathy for an elderly person with Alzheimers.

I sure am glad he was there to help, and that Mrs. Limbaugh and her mother suffered no ill effects, other than the loss of property!

BassWrangler

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2021, 10:43:44 pm »
The big question is who will replace Limbaugh? But can he be replaced? I didn't agree with his support of Trump, but there's literally nobody in the ranks who can replace what he did for conservatism. It wasn't just his support for the conservatism agenda, it was his whole personality, showmanship, and general ability to rouse the masses...the conservative and the liberal masses.
 I was still voting for Dems when I started listening to Rush back in the nineties. I shortly made a switch but not necessarily because of Limbaugh.
But even disagreeing with some of his stances on the issues, Limbaugh was just so entertaining I couldn't stop listening to him.
As a number of prominent conservative media figures have stated, he was the Babe Ruth of radio. Nobody like him preceded the Babe. Nobody like Limbaugh preceded him. Not even Paul Harvey who inspired Limbaugh and who in turn supported and praised Limbaugh.
Harvey was huge in his day but didn't come close to what Limbaugh created.

I don’t think he can ever be replaced. He was one of a kind. But perhaps one of his guest hosts can carry on with this 3 hour time slot. I'd like it to be Mark Steyn, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2021, 11:02:48 pm »
My personal choice would be to move Andrew Wilkow into that slot with Premiere.  He’s the same kind of firebrand brash conservative Rush was at the same age. He’s already a know entity on the national stage from being a fill in for Mark Levin back in the day. 

But more than likely we’ll see Hannity more to the noon to 3 slot nationwide...Steyn or one of the other Rush substitute hosts taking the 3-6 slot on a national level. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

BassWrangler

« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2021, 12:15:03 am »
My personal choice would be to move Andrew Wilkow into that slot with Premiere.  He’s the same kind of firebrand brash conservative Rush was at the same age. He’s already a know entity on the national stage from being a fill in for Mark Levin back in the day. 

But more than likely we’ll see Hannity more to the noon to 3 slot nationwide...Steyn or one of the other Rush substitute hosts taking the 3-6 slot on a national level.

Ugh. Can't stand Hannity. Oh well...

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2021, 12:35:03 am »

I can’t either.   But in the Limbaugh family tree of talk radio broadcasters...ones that hit it big because they guested for Rush...unfortunately Sean sits at the right hand of El Rushbo. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online libertybele

« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2021, 12:51:00 am »
What about the great one?  Mark Levin?

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #135 on: February 21, 2021, 02:55:54 am »
What about the great one?  Mark Levin?

He enjoys his slot.  He’s stated he likes being the cleanup hitter. 

Offline verga

« Reply #136 on: February 21, 2021, 02:59:12 am »
Agre, listen to him for 15 minutes once a wek and you get the entire 15 hours. He just keeps repeating the same thing over and over.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

BassWrangler

« Reply #137 on: February 21, 2021, 03:04:00 am »
Agre, listen to him for 15 minutes once a wek and you get the entire 15 hours. He just keeps repeating the same thing over and over.

Exactly. And his "questions" in the form of a 10 minute statement are the worst, especially when the guest actually has something interesting to say. One of the things I loved about Rush is that he knew when to shut up and listen. And he genuinely listened, not just paused.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 03:05:18 am by BassWrangler »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #138 on: February 21, 2021, 04:08:52 am »
I'll try to tune in.  It's hard to accept that the Great El Rushbo is no longer with us.

I appreciate that they are taking the time to eulogize him and rightfully so; I enjoy hearing how he got started and the various sound clips.  But ... millions are wondering what if anything comes next? 

Perhaps Kathryn has a message for us  ... possibly Rush's wishes as to what happens to the show.
The official statement from iHeart (which owns Rush's show) says they've spent the past few months going through Rush's archives to sort it out by topic and date. For the next three months, guest hosts are basically going to "DJ" these old clips based on their relevance to the news of the day.

After mid-May, all bets are off.
https://radioinsight.com/headlines/205093/premiere-sets-short-term-plans-for-rush-limbaugh-timeslot/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2021, 04:29:03 am »
I've said this elsewhere, but without Limbaugh, I truly believe that conservative talk is going to be off most of its major affiliates within a few months. But here are the options:

DENNIS PRAGER
Pros: Already in the time slot and has been for years on the Salem network. Has seen a renewal of popularity, especially among younger audiences, thanks to his PragerU videos.
Cons: 72 years old and may not have many more years. Already tethered to Salem, a network that has never been particularly popular. Might get some clearances on smaller stations.

DAVE RAMSEY
Pros: Has an independent following. Already partially in the time slot.
Cons: His show doesn't fit the format.

SEAN HANNITY
Pros: Second-highest rated host in America behind Limbaugh.
Cons: Risk of rapidly losing popularity without his lead-in. Not particularly well-liked. His Fox News gig is a sinking ship. I don't see Hannity moving his show up.

MARK LEVIN
Pros: Established talk star, somewhat better reputation than Hannity
Cons: Cumulus owns his show and has already come out willing to neuter its hosts. Thick northeastern accent could be grating. As others noted, Levin likes the spot he's in now.

ONE OF RUSH'S GUEST HOSTS
Pros: Familiar to audiences who listen to the slot already.
Cons: Probably not Mark Steyn, who has other jobs and likely wouldn't be able to devote the work to a 3-hour daily show.

ALEX JONES
Pros: Has been in the time slot for decades.
Cons: Off the deep end crazy. Blackballed from social media and thus promotional opportunities are limited.

A YOUNGER NAME, e.g. a podcaster
Pros: Appeals to a new demographic, pre-recorded format would not be disruptive to the host's schedule. iHeart already has a few "iHeartPodcasts" stations scattered around the country and has experience with the format.
Cons: Would likely be unknown to most, call-in format would likely be abandoned. Most podcasts seldom go beyond an hour a day and thus multiple shows would be needed.

NOBODY
Pros: The easy and cheap way out.
Cons: Would leave a huge hole in a lot of iHeart's stations' schedules. The "nobody" route would essentially mean most of the formats would be changed to something else, meaning Hannity and Beck would be in danger of losing their gigs as well.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

« Reply #140 on: February 21, 2021, 04:37:32 am »
There has been speculation that Donald Trump may continue on in his spot.  I think he'd be perfect.  He has an audience.  He has the personality and the lefts head would spin!!!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #141 on: February 21, 2021, 01:48:15 pm »
Just a reminder that Mark Steyn said Kathryn would be on the show with him tomorrow.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #142 on: February 21, 2021, 04:46:46 pm »
I've said this elsewhere, but without Limbaugh, I truly believe that conservative talk is going to be off most of its major affiliates within a few months. But here are the options:

DENNIS PRAGER
Pros: Already in the time slot and has been for years on the Salem network. Has seen a renewal of popularity, especially among younger audiences, thanks to his PragerU videos.
Cons: 72 years old and may not have many more years. Already tethered to Salem, a network that has never been particularly popular. Might get some clearances on smaller stations.

DAVE RAMSEY
Pros: Has an independent following. Already partially in the time slot.
Cons: His show doesn't fit the format.

SEAN HANNITY
Pros: Second-highest rated host in America behind Limbaugh.
Cons: Risk of rapidly losing popularity without his lead-in. Not particularly well-liked. His Fox News gig is a sinking ship. I don't see Hannity moving his show up.

MARK LEVIN
Pros: Established talk star, somewhat better reputation than Hannity
Cons: Cumulus owns his show and has already come out willing to neuter its hosts. Thick northeastern accent could be grating. As others noted, Levin likes the spot he's in now.

ONE OF RUSH'S GUEST HOSTS
Pros: Familiar to audiences who listen to the slot already.
Cons: Probably not Mark Steyn, who has other jobs and likely wouldn't be able to devote the work to a 3-hour daily show.

ALEX JONES
Pros: Has been in the time slot for decades.
Cons: Off the deep end crazy. Blackballed from social media and thus promotional opportunities are limited.

A YOUNGER NAME, e.g. a podcaster
Pros: Appeals to a new demographic, pre-recorded format would not be disruptive to the host's schedule. iHeart already has a few "iHeartPodcasts" stations scattered around the country and has experience with the format.
Cons: Would likely be unknown to most, call-in format would likely be abandoned. Most podcasts seldom go beyond an hour a day and thus multiple shows would be needed.

NOBODY
Pros: The easy and cheap way out.
Cons: Would leave a huge hole in a lot of iHeart's stations' schedules. The "nobody" route would essentially mean most of the formats would be changed to something else, meaning Hannity and Beck would be in danger of losing their gigs as well.
Nobody can do what Rush did, but nobody should try. One name I've thought of who could rip liberals and deliver humor is Steve Crowder of Louder With Crowder.
Crowder's delivery might be a little hard-edged for many people, but he's smart enough to know when to ease up if given a huge national audience. He's also a lot younger than most of them.
I don't expect it to be him. But Hannity he's not. Nor Levin, nor Ben Shapiro. nor Beck, nor Todd Herman,  nor any of the other conservative talk show hosts.
He is not an angry shouter. And he's young enough to attract the younger demographic.
I don't know if he's under discussion by the big thinkers who are looking to replace Limbaugh. He can't be replaced. But Crowder would be my pick.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2021, 05:00:01 pm »

I like your analysis, and few additonal comments from me...

Noticed you left off Tucker Carlson.  Know it is not his format, but I'd bet he'd flourish in it after a bit of practice.  Has the folloiwng, and is great at eviscerating the left.  I understand he'd be obvioulsy less apt at teaching and preaching the conservative cred, but his ability to expose liberal hypocricy is about the best we got right now.  And then again, who knows if he would even be intersted.  The bucks would be there but.......

Out of those in your writeup, only Levin would be the only one who hold my interest.  Putting Hannity in that slot would destroy Conservative Talk Radio. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2021, 05:50:33 pm »
There has been speculation that Donald Trump may continue on in his spot.  I think he'd be perfect.  He has an audience.  He has the personality and the lefts head would spin!!!
Trump has other things to do rather than spend 3 hours on the radio.

No way I could listen to him over 5 minutes at a time, before he irritated me.

No gonna happen.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2021, 05:55:49 pm »
Trump has other things to do rather than spend 3 hours on the radio.

No way I could listen to him over 5 minutes at a time, before he irritated me.

No gonna happen.

No offense to DJT, but 3 hours unflitered live on the radio would be disastrous.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2021, 06:33:11 pm »

DJT has better things to do with his time.  And, I'm pretty sure spending three hours behind a microphone five days a week ain't on his Bucket List. 

Online libertybele

« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2021, 07:09:17 pm »
Inserting Donald Trump into this time slot would be perfect in so many ways:

What better way to connect to not only his supporters, but Rush supporters and those liberals and independents tuning in to hear what he's saying.

Most importantly, he would be an absolute thorn in Mitch's side.  Example:  Trump comes on the air and states, "folks we need to work on getting better GOP leadership in the Senate ... call your senators to demand he is no longer senate minority leader" ... he then could interview several figures better for the job ....

Trump could continue to start picking off RINO's like, Romney, one by one and interview conservatives to replace them.

This is the perfect avenue and a chance to win back seats in '22.

Those that say he has better things to do?  What better agenda then to ensure a fair election and win back seats?? 

The opportunity for him and us to rid the Senate and House of RINO's would be great ... he doesn't have to do rallies -- he would do them from his seat of talk radio.

After all .. he wanted to drain the swamp AND he mentioned creating his own network. 

He has the personality, talk radio extends his presence, gives him and opportunity to fire back at the liberals and he already has a tremendous audience.

It is a WIN, WIN!!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2021, 07:24:40 pm »
Inserting Donald Trump into this time slot would be perfect in so many ways:

What better way to connect to not only his supporters, but Rush supporters and those liberals and independents tuning in to hear what he's saying.

Most importantly, he would be an absolute thorn in Mitch's side.  Example:  Trump comes on the air and states, "folks we need to work on getting better GOP leadership in the Senate ... call your senators to demand he is no longer senate minority leader" ... he then could interview several figures better for the job ....

Trump could continue to start picking off RINO's like, Romney, one by one and interview conservatives to replace them.

This is the perfect avenue and a chance to win back seats in '22.

Those that say he has better things to do?  What better agenda then to ensure a fair election and win back seats?? 

The opportunity for him and us to rid the Senate and House of RINO's would be great ... he doesn't have to do rallies -- he would do them from his seat of talk radio.

After all .. he wanted to drain the swamp AND he mentioned creating his own network. 

He has the personality, talk radio extends his presence, gives him and opportunity to fire back at the liberals and he already has a tremendous audience.

It is a WIN, WIN!!

Nah, anything that wastes Trump's time is a LOSE, LOSE!!   And this proposal is a BIG waste of his time.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2021, 07:29:14 pm »
Nah, anything that wastes Trump's time is a LOSE, LOSE!!   And this proposal is a BIG waste of his time.

Agreed.  That what was so amzing about Rush.  Maintaining focus and standards for three straight hours 5 days a week.  That is a whole lot harder than anyone realizes.  I know I couldn't do it.  Who ever gets that time slot, WOULD benefit greatly, if they did hand DJT a 10-15 minute slot a few days a week for punditry. Now that I could buy off on.