Author Topic: Massive winter storm prompts disaster declaration and could stress Texas' electricity grid  (Read 4827 times)

Online libertybele

You'd do better to invest in Buddy Heaters, which run on bottled propane. They have a gizmo for em to let em take a barbecue grill size tank... Which means they'll take ANY tank.

The 'Big Buddy' (around 200 bucks) puts out up to 18000 BTU , and comes with safety features.

Stock up a few 20 pound tanks, which you can swap/rotate through your grill anyway, and you're pretty golden for good immediate portable heat.

Winter overlanding, you'll be almost as likely to see that Big Buddy in a tent as you are a wood stove. Very good. Very reliable.

I bought some kind of stove that works with propane, wood or charcoal and it's supposed to be somewhat efficient.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen it since we've moved.  Hopefully it's in the garage somewhere.

Our biggest concern here during hurricane season is flooding.  Our attic is about 9 ft. off the ground in the garage and we put stairs in to easily access it. It has enough of a peak to have standing head room.  We laid boards across to be able to sit and lay down.  We moved off gulf access onto freshwater; but 9 ft. isn't very high if we get storm surge.  We've been lucky...in the 30 years we've been down here, we've experienced a Cat. 4,  but no storm surge. (Knock on wood).

We don't have any kind of a boat or raft...which I've been thinking about getting. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Online roamer_1

@libertybele

The small sterno stoves are small, inexpensive, and can be used in the house, no need to go outside to a big stove with big gas bottles.

During every hurricane and after until power came back, maybe a week or more, I used the sterno stoves sitting on a kitchen counter.  The Melitta single cup coffee makers were used every day at any time of day.  These items just made living better until "normal" came back.

A can of sterno is about 2500 BTU for about 2 hrs. In below zero temps, that won't heat a pup tent.

A Big Buddy heater - PORTABLE and fine to use inside, is 18000 btu and will comfortably heat 450 ft2 for a couple days tied to a 20 pound tank. It is thermostatically controlled and automatic. Two of them will keep a pretty big house from freezing up... or a small house comfortable

Online libertybele

Something that needs to be ingrained into the liberal mental midget's heads

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

I bought some kind of stove that works with propane, wood or charcoal and it's supposed to be somewhat efficient.  Come to think of it, I haven't seen it since we've moved.  Hopefully it's in the garage somewhere.

I can see where heat would not be a big concern. But what is happening in Texas could happen to you next.

And I have been thinking about that - Folks down there (or your way) ain't ready for cold. It ain't the thing you are used to that will put you in a trick bag... I shake in my boots in a high wind - The most I have ever seen is 80mph, other than a tornado we were caught in once. You'd probably sleep right  through 80mph.

But I DO know cold. If you ain't ready for cold up in here, you're just dead. End of story. Zero temps ain't nothing to sneeze at, especially where houses ain't made for it. I shudder to think of how many broken pipes there will be down there in Texas when this is done.

Of course, the REAL thing would be a wood stove. Even if you never use it but for ambiance and the odd emergency every now and then. A wood stove will get as hot as you let it. you'll never want for heat, providing you have a supply of wood. But a big propane heater, I figger, is a better investment from a prepping position, since most folks have a propane grill... And if you have a grill, you are likely to have the twenty pound tanks laying around to feed it. So I figger it fits better in what folks already have on hand.

For me it's no nevermind. I am already committed to wood, as is natural up here. But I DO have a Big Buddy and a Little Buddy for overlanding... The convenience is hard to beat, and I already have propane on board for the Coleman stove for cooking. Not the same for up in the woods, where my 4 season tent is heated by a small wood stove I pack in on a polk with the tent. I have been pleasantly comfortable in 15 below zero weather in that tent, and the stove ain't anywhere near cherry hot yet.

Our biggest concern here during hurricane season is flooding.  Our attic is about 9 ft. off the ground in the garage and we put stairs in to easily access it. It has enough of a peak to have standing head room.  We laid boards across to be able to sit and lay down.  We moved off gulf access onto freshwater; but 9 ft. isn't very high if we get storm surge.  We've been lucky...in the 30 years we've been down here, we've experienced a Cat. 4,  but no storm surge. (Knock on wood).

We don't have any kind of a boat or raft...which I've been thinking about getting.

Keep an axe up in that attic... or an electric chainsaw... Getting up in there, you'd best have a way to get out... And that is going to be chopping through the gable, or through the roof itself.

I am partial to a jon boat. Flat bottom and squared ends. Nice for up in the potholes and sloughs on the river.

I will never flood where I am. Nor will forest fire get to me. If I lose it will be to heavy snow or high wind.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:07:57 pm by roamer_1 »

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1

I prepare to live in the house with safe cooking methods inside the house, and sterno stoves are exactly that.  Outside grills are fallbacks if inside house cooking method is used up.  Never ran out of canned heat, which can be stored inside house, too.

I have an inside heater for heat.  It is a fairly new innovation as it is safe to use in the house with small bottles of fuel.  It also has a warning that goes off if oxygen around it goes down, a signal of fuel leak.  That has never happened as the transfer of fuel from the small bottle is simple.

I do the same with propane,since my overlanding kit is propane anyhow. And you can use propane inside just fine. The thing I have against canned gas is evaporation. To include sterno, which is a waste of time around here. Propane will keep a whole lot longer, and I am more likely to cycle it that I am white gas or the like. Kerosene excepted... It keeps. I also have kerosene heaters and lanterns... but largely the big buddy has replaced the kerosene heater. Just not in the same league.

18000 BTUs and portable is hard to do otherwise.

Offline thackney

Our kitchen stove is propane and works without electric power.

Having our on well we also have a 150 gallon surge tank as part of the set up.

There are three other shallow wells on the property but really only good for watering the cows and horses.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My jeep runs on propane forklift tanks. Since it feeds liquid propane I use them to refill my small bottles. I also have a hand operated propane transfer pump. My problem with propane tanks and my welding tanks too, is having to recert the dang things.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 09:42:45 pm by Elderberry »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@roamer_1

I prepare to live in the house with safe cooking methods inside the house, and sterno stoves are exactly that.  Outside grills are fallbacks if inside house cooking method is used up.  Never ran out of canned heat, which can be stored inside house, too.

I have an inside heater for heat.  It is a fairly new innovation as it is safe to use in the house with small bottles of fuel.  It also has a warning that goes off if oxygen around it goes down, a signal of fuel leak.  That has never happened as the transfer of fuel from the small bottle is simple.

You have a whole section in your book about keeping your electronics charged....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
@mystery-ak
@Gefn

Denton County 30 miles northwest of Dallas.  Today is Tuesday, 10:30 am central - temp now 7 degrees.  Were at 0 last night.  Wind chill was -30 last night.

We are feeding the birds good birdseed and they are in and out eating all day.  We put the pans with the seed under a table out there so snow would not get into the seed.

Here is why they do not freeze:

https://www.audubon.org/how-do-birds-cope-cold-winter

I need to get birdseed tomorrow. Mine ran out last week. This time it’s a 25lb bag.

I have a lot of very fat squirrels here. I had chipmunks but they are gone now. I hope they’re hibernating.

I assume birds don’t freeze for the same reason ducks don’t. Lot of fat under the feathers to keep them warm. That is why duck is such a fatty food to cook with, I guess.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

My jeep runs on propane forklift tanks. Since it feeds liquid propane I use them to refill my small bottles. I also have a hand operated propane transfer pump. My problem with propane tanks and my welding tanks too, is having to recert the dang things.

I ain't much for propane... Other than my overlanding kit, and it's application during emergencies. Up in here, propane is the most expensive form of heat there is. That's what kept me out of it for so long. But it is really hard to beat for overlanding, since I have a whole pickup to lug things around with.

I don't need it much otherwise. But for that, it is king.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My propane is mostly for my jeep and small torches and occasionally with a portable stove. I like running the jeep on propane. I have a solar battery charger on it and it always starts right up no matter how long its been since I used it. I also run a metal melting forge on propane until I finish converting it over to waste oil.

Online roamer_1

I tried that for a while. I figured it too much a trouble. I DO have a small hand held propane torch out in the shop, but usually use the oxy/acetylene for most everything, so I just buy those bottles when I need em. Everything else runs off a 20 pounder, and I have a splitter ofr it so I can run the camp stove and the heater at the same time. I don't use any small bottles anymore otherwise.

Offline Victoria33

A can of sterno is about 2500 BTU for about 2 hrs. In below zero temps, that won't heat a pup tent.  A Big Buddy heater - PORTABLE and fine to use inside, is 18000 btu and will comfortably heat 450 ft2 for a couple days tied to a 20 pound tank. It is thermostatically controlled and automatic. Two of them will keep a pretty big house from freezing up... or a small house comfortable
@roamer_1

I use the two sterno stoves on the kitchen counter for warming/cooking - not heating.  I used them for warming/cooking food for every hurricane that came for many years.  I still have a house where hurricanes come, not far north of Houston.  I have a friend who takes care of that house so it is okay during this freezing weather.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:52:45 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline Victoria33

@libertybele
@Cyber Liberty

I use "Safe Heat" cans for the Sterno Stoves to heat food, cook food, instead of the Sterno brand cans.
"Safe Heat" is discussed here:

https://theprovidentprepper.org/canned-heat-safe-fuel-for-indoor-emergency-cooking/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 11:01:07 pm by Victoria33 »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
I have gone thru many a hurricane and I guess I've been lucky as I was only without power once. I was without power for 2 weeks. I cooked on my 2 burner propane stove, my grill, and my smoker. I only had a 2.5kw gen I used, but not for cooking. It was an 1800rpm Onan that worked like a charm.

Online libertybele

I can see where heat would not be a big concern. But what is happening in Texas could happen to you next.

And I have been thinking about that - Folks down there (or your way) ain't ready for cold. It ain't the thing you are used to that will put you in a trick bag... I shake in my boots in a high wind - The most I have ever seen is 80mph, other than a tornado we were caught in once. You'd probably sleep right  through 80mph.

But I DO know cold. If you ain't ready for cold up in here, you're just dead. End of story. Zero temps ain't nothing to sneeze at, especially where houses ain't made for it. I shudder to think of how many broken pipes there will be down there in Texas when this is done.

Of course, the REAL thing would be a wood stove. Even if you never use it but for ambiance and the odd emergency every now and then. A wood stove will get as hot as you let it. you'll never want for heat, providing you have a supply of wood. But a big propane heater, I figger, is a better investment from a prepping position, since most folks have a propane grill... And if you have a grill, you are likely to have the twenty pound tanks laying around to feed it. So I figger it fits better in what folks already have on hand.

For me it's no nevermind. I am already committed to wood, as is natural up here. But I DO have a Big Buddy and a Little Buddy for overlanding... The convenience is hard to beat, and I already have propane on board for the Coleman stove for cooking. Not the same for up in the woods, where my 4 season tent is heated by a small wood stove I pack in on a polk with the tent. I have been pleasantly comfortable in 15 below zero weather in that tent, and the stove ain't anywhere near cherry hot yet.

Keep an axe up in that attic... or an electric chainsaw... Getting up in there, you'd best have a way to get out... And that is going to be chopping through the gable, or through the roof itself.

I am partial to a jon boat. Flat bottom and squared ends. Nice for up in the potholes and sloughs on the river.

I will never flood where I am. Nor will forest fire get to me. If I lose it will be to heavy snow or high wind.

Our house is fairly well insulated -- it dips down into the 30's here and the coldest it's gotten inside the house since we've been here is 72 and we have a 15,000 watt generator and a couple of gas caddies.  So not too worried about power loss.

Thanks for the reminder -- need to remember to put some sort of axe up in that attic. Jon boat would be more durable but we haven't invested in a dock, so really no place to keep it and with our backs, we can't lift.  I was thinking of an inflatable -- I've looked on line and have seen some that will hold small motors --- we'd just need something to keep us afloat for awhile.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

The Disgusting Reason That Millions of Texans Spent The Night Without Power

So it was a mix of bird-choppers that couldn't chop and Biden's Envirocrats not giving prompt (if ever) permission to crank up the fossil-fueled generation plants to the degree that they might exceed the Feds' pollution limits.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Spent?

Mine and my daughter's houses are still without power.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So it was a mix of bird-choppers that couldn't chop and Biden's Envirocrats not giving prompt (if ever) permission to crank up the fossil-fueled generation plants to the degree that they might exceed the Feds' pollution limits.

:yowsa: That seems to be about the size of it.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

"Disgusting" is right.  9999hair out0000
I might be glad it happened if the result is we secede.  The federal government is not a signatory of the pact we signed to enter the USA and instead is an organization created to support the states.

Right now it is turned upside down and the states apparently exist to serve the federal government.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline thackney

The Disgusting Reason That Millions of Texans Spent The Night Without Power

And the requirement was waived.  This looks like a very misleading article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-15/pollution-limit-waived-for-texas-power-plants-in-emergency-order

The Department of Energy issued an emergency order allowing several Texas power plants to produce as much electricity as possible, a move expected to violate anti-pollution rules that comes amid a deepening electricity crisis in the state that has cut power to millions of homes.

The Energy Department order, requested by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, authorizes power plants throughout the state to run a maximum output levels, even as such a move is anticipated to result in a violation of limits of pollution....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
And the requirement was waived.  This looks like a very misleading article.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-15/pollution-limit-waived-for-texas-power-plants-in-emergency-order

The Department of Energy issued an emergency order allowing several Texas power plants to produce as much electricity as possible, a move expected to violate anti-pollution rules that comes amid a deepening electricity crisis in the state that has cut power to millions of homes.

The Energy Department order, requested by the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, authorizes power plants throughout the state to run a maximum output levels, even as such a move is anticipated to result in a violation of limits of pollution....

Because we know Bloomberg news is infallibly accurate.  And why should we have to ask permission in the first damned place?

- J. R. R. Tolkien