Author Topic: Biden's Misery Index  (Read 151 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Biden's Misery Index
« on: February 12, 2021, 02:57:56 pm »
February 12, 2021
Biden's Misery Index
By Michael Busler

In the late 1970s, the U.S. experienced an economic condition known as stagflation.  This meant the economy was not growing, yet prices were rapidly rising.  One measure of just how bad things were was the Misery Index. This was found by adding the inflation rate to the unemployment rate.

Biden’s stated economic policies will significantly raise the Misery Index.

Most economists would probably say that a misery index of 7 or less is desirable.  During the late 70s it hit nearly 20.  That meant there were years when the inflation rate or the unemployment rate exceeded 10%.

Before the pandemic, the prior administration’s policies had the number down to 5.

The 1970s stagflation occurred because rising wages and commodity prices significantly increased  the cost to produce goods and services. At the same time, the market could not respond to the resulting higher price by expanding output. That meant higher prices and no growth or stagflation.

The response that solved the problem was simply to create policies that enabled business to respond to market conditions by increasing their output.  That would put downward pressure on prices, increase competition and increase growth. Significantly reduced tax rates for all income earners and corporations set the stage.  Monetary policy was accommodating, resulting in low interest rates.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2021/02/bidens_misery_index.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LMAO

Re: Biden's Misery Index
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2021, 07:07:36 pm »
It’s hard to predict what the economy will look like a year, 2 years,  or four years from now.

But there’s no question we are going to see a period of sluggish growth. The Biden administration has even stated that they’re looking at the economy through the prism of racial and gender equality and climate
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy