Author Topic: The problem with climate models  (Read 178 times)

rangerrebew

The problem with climate models
« on: February 08, 2021, 06:09:55 pm »

The problem with climate models

Andy May

By Andy May

In my last post, on Scafetta’s new millennial temperature reconstruction, I included the following sentence that caused a lot of controversy and discussion in the comments:

“The model shown uses a computed anthropogenic input based on the CMIP5 models, but while they use an assumed climate sensitivity to CO2 (ECS) of ~3°C, Scafetta uses 1.5°C/2xCO2 to accommodate his estimate of natural forcings.”

I thought in the context of the post, the meaning was clear. But, Nick Stokes, and others, thought I meant that ECS was an input parameter to the CMIP5 climate models. This is not true, ECS is computed from the model output. If you pull the above quote out of the post and view it in isolation, it can be interpreted that way, so I changed it to the following which is unambiguous on the point.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/02/06/the-problem-with-climate-models/

Offline Sled Dog

• The Ultimate Weapon: Freedom - I Won't
Re: The problem with climate models
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 07:39:27 pm »
GIGO.

The model doesn't give you the answer you want?   Then change the inputs.

Climate modeling is less accurate than weather forecasting, but then again, the people running the game don't want answers they can't make trillions from.
The GOP is not the party leadership.  The GOP is the party MEMBERSHIP.   The members need to kick the leaders out if they leaders are going the wrong way.  No coddling allowed.