Author Topic: Buoyed by Keystone XL, pipeline opponents want Biden to act  (Read 459 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Buoyed by Keystone XL, pipeline opponents want Biden to act
« on: February 01, 2021, 02:41:04 am »
ABC News by AMY FORLITI 1/31/2021

After President Joe Biden revoked Keystone XL’s presidential permit, opponents of other pipelines are hoping the projects they’ve been fighting will be next

After President Joe Biden revoked Keystone XL’s presidential permit and shut down construction of the long-disputed pipeline that was to carry oil from Canada to Texas, opponents of other pipelines hoped the projects they’ve been fighting would be next.

The Biden administration hasn't specified what action it might take on other pipelines, but industry experts doubt there will be swift changes like the one that stopped Keystone. They say the Keystone XL move on Biden's first day fulfilled a campaign promise and was symbolic for a president who has made climate change a national security priority and has called for a dramatic increase in cost-competitive renewable and clean-burning energy.

“I think generally we can expect more rigorous environmental reviews, more scrutiny and so forth. But I would be very surprised if Biden were to take any action of the executive order type,” said Ben Cowan, an environmental law attorney who advises clients on permitting for pipelines and other energy projects.

A look at some other high-profile pipeline projects and what actions Biden might take:

DAKOTA ACCESS

ENBRIDGE LINE 3

LINE 5

MOUNTAIN VALLEY

More: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/buoyed-keystone-xl-pipeline-opponents-biden-act-75595940

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Buoyed by Keystone XL, pipeline opponents want Biden to act
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 04:59:37 am »
Let's just pull the breakers, shut down the pipelines and let the coasts run on windmills and fairy dust.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis