Author Topic: Will the third time be the charm? Cruz reintroduces congressional term limits measure  (Read 476 times)

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
This will never pass, but I think it is an excellent piece of legislation and I think their needs to be term limits for the SCOTUS as well.

Will the third time be the charm? Cruz reintroduces congressional term limits measure

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz is leading a group of six senators introducing a constitutional amendment to impose congressional term limits.

The amendment, which Cruz introduced Monday along with Republican Sens. Mike Braun of Indiana, Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania, Marco Rubio of Florida, Todd Young of Indiana and Rick Scott of Florida, seeks to limit senators to two six-year terms and members of the House of Representatives to three two-year terms.

“The rise of political careerism in today’s Congress is a sharp departure from what the Founders intended for our federal governing bodies,” Cruz said. “I have long called for this solution for the brokenness of Washington, D.C., and I will continue fighting to hold career politicians accountable.”

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/01/27/will-the-third-time-be-the-charm-cruz-reintroduces-congressional-term-limits-measure/
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

I am actually not for term limits.

I know it gets rid of the bad ones... But I am more concerned with retaining the good ones.

The responsibility is on the PEOPLE, where it should lie.

What needs to be surmounted is this ridiculous idea on the Right that mere 'Republican butts in the seats' gives Conservatives power. It does not.

What needs to be done is a serious and concerted effort to expose the voting record of RINOs and provide pressure in public forums to get their state's citizens to primary them and replace them with actual conservatives.

And it must OVERCOME the murder turtle's machinations - such as are used to choke real conservatives off from both money and exposure. There must be a loud and clear, and HONEST source, free of propaganda that can be trusted to speak the truth.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
roamer_1, the good ones?   WHHHHHAAAAT?

Get real.  All these POSs are expendable.  Gone is the day of the statesman.

Statistics show incumbents in a bad year lose 3% of the time, last number I saw.  There is a reason why the Congress has rating in the single digits, and on a good day, like 11% favorable.

These turds have stopped representing the American people long ago.

And if we had TERM LIMITS, all the worst turds in Congress, all the leaders would not be there.

TERM  LIMITS NOW!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:53:02 am by jafo2010 »

Offline skeeter

I am actually not for term limits.

I know it gets rid of the bad ones... But I am more concerned with retaining the good ones.

The responsibility is on the PEOPLE, where it should lie.

What needs to be surmounted is this ridiculous idea on the Right that mere 'Republican butts in the seats' gives Conservatives power. It does not.

What needs to be done is a serious and concerted effort to expose the voting record of RINOs and provide pressure in public forums to get their state's citizens to primary them and replace them with actual conservatives.

And it must OVERCOME the murder turtle's machinations - such as are used to choke real conservatives off from both money and exposure. There must be a loud and clear, and HONEST source, free of propaganda that can be trusted to speak the truth.
More needs to be done that that. The advantages built in to the current system grants incumbents is nearly impossible to surmount no matter what the electorate thinks.

Even more important, there needs to be term limits on the unelected bureaucrats who write 80% of the laws we have to live under.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 12:59:56 am by skeeter »

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Statistics show incumbents in a bad year lose 3% of the time, last number I saw.  There is a reason why the Congress has rating in the single digits, and on a good day, like 11% favorable.

And if we had TERM LIMITS, all the worst turds in Congress, all the leaders would not be there.

TERM  LIMITS NOW!

Agreed.  Term limits now!  We desperately need to get rid of the McConnell's and Pelosi's that have been in Congress for most of their lives!
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline roamer_1

TERM  LIMITS NOW!

Nope. The rarity is in finding statesmen... And when they ARE found, I would prefer to keep them.
The problem is not in a dearth of statesmen. The problem is in a preponderance of politicians, there largely because of moderate wing machinations.

Throw all the bastards out, Oh HELL Yeah. And replace them in a more discerning fashion - The purpose for the Conservative Coalition. If the candidate does not have a brilliantly Conservative RECORD, nothing he might say on the stump should be believed.

What you will do with term limits is make the term of a statesman viably outlived. But the moderate machine goes on and on, regardless of who is in there.

Retaining Conservative statesmen till they achieve a majority - That is the money shot. And that requires long term retention.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:05:52 am by roamer_1 »

Offline jafo2010

roamer_1, you are full of it with your mindset.

Not sure how old you are, but anyone that has lived long enough know the folks in Washington are NOT statesmen, not a one.

And the leadership insures that true statesmen never rise up either.  None of these POSs want to be showed up in Congress.

If we have seen anything, it is the people there are not there to represent the people.  People with integrity in Washington, you can count on your one hand.  Statesmen, again, you can count on your one hand.

In 1995, there was a Democrat, Jamie Whitten, retired from the House after 53 years there.  I never heard of him before!

Believe me, if I spent 53 years somewhere in government, my name would be a household name, not an unknown.  When this story broke, I sat there and said this is the reason we need TERM LIMITS.  Too many people doing next to nothing conducting the peoples' business.  Part of the reason the founders set things up as they did was the intention for people to come, represent the people of their community, and get out to resume their lives.  They did not envision people staying 30, 40, 50 years.  Average life expectancy wasn't even that long!

TERM LIMITS NOW!

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
A "term limits" amendment will never pass the U.S. Congress (or what's left of it).
Never.

What might have a chance of passage would be a "Constitutional age limit" amendment.

"No person shall be elected to the office of Representative, Senator, President or Vice President who will be 67 years of age or older on the date he or she assumes office.

This restriction shall not apply to any Representative, Senator, President or Vice President holding office at the date this amendment is ratified."

Offline jafo2010

Fish, get real, that has no more chance to pass than the TERM LIMITS.

Half the folks in Congress are over 67.  Guesstimate!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

More needs to be done that that. The advantages built in to the current system grants incumbents is nearly impossible to surmount no matter what the electorate thinks.

Even more important, there needs to be term limits on the unelected bureaucrats who write 80% of the laws we have to live under.

Stop the lifetime pension based on service on top of a lucrative federal 401(k) Plan.  Let our public servants retire on the same retirement arrangement within the private sector jobs generators:  small business.  This will send them back home quickly enough.

The same should apply to the federal bureaucracy.  Make it impossible for them to stay more than ten years --- and if they do, start investigating them for kickbacks.

Coming to Washington should not mean you're set for life --- before and after retirement.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:40:34 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline skeeter

Stop the lifetime pension based on service on top of a lucrative federal 401(k) Plan.  Let our public servants retire on the same retirement arrangement within the private sector jobs generators:  small business.  This will send them back home quickly enough.

The same should apply to the federal bureaucracy.  Make it impossible for them to stay more than ten years --- and if they do, start investigating them for kickbacks.

Coming to Washington should not mean you're set for life --- before and after retirement.
Sounds good to me. Add this to the long list of necessary reforms we’ll never see because we’re now led by despots.

Offline roamer_1

roamer_1, you are full of it with your mindset.

Not sure how old you are, but anyone that has lived long enough know the folks in Washington are NOT statesmen, not a one.

I am coming on 60, and I know that.

And the leadership insures that true statesmen never rise up either.  None of these POSs want to be showed up in Congress.

There's your problem right there. And all y'all keep voting the bastards in, which is the primary problem. No one even talks about the various wings of the Republican Party. Quit pulling the lever for the moderates (of the moderate wing) and the liberals (of the liberal wing)

Vote for solid Conservatives (Goldwater/Reagan wing) and watch your problems go away. You need true believers, and not any old rhinestone (R) Republican will do - Even IF sacrificing control of congress.

Most of the Conservatives left there came in on the TEA Party's wings. Of those - even assuming a more discerning vote, only a handful turned out to be true... That handful needs to be retained, and more added to - Keep voting for principles instead of people, and watch what grows from it. And it will not be fixed in an election or two. Conservatives have to go back to supporting each other, and sticking together. Not Republicans. Conservatives.

The fault is in YOU - All y'all that keep voting RINOs in. And back in. 

If we have seen anything, it is the people there are not there to represent the people.  People with integrity in Washington, you can count on your one hand.  Statesmen, again, you can count on your one hand.

Right... And what was the argument going into '16? That character doesn't matter? Believe me, it matters most of all - DEMAND character. Vote only FOR character, and you will get more - You get more of what you vote FOR. Which is why voting against democrats is bullcrap. you are not voting against democrats, you are voting FOR lesser quality Republicans... The lesser evil argument. Which I will proclaim adamantly as a damnable lie.

Term limits abdicates the voter's responsibility and keeps shaking the can. Sure, the RINOs may have less of a foothold, bit so do the statesmen - and the lean is MORE toward the politician and less to the statesman, because the statesman is the rare thing. All you do is create a revolving door, pumping out politicians into cushy lobby jobs.

What you advocate is a mistake. There is a reason why the founders did not include term limits. Maybe you should ponder why.

In 1995, there was a Democrat, Jamie Whitten, retired from the House after 53 years there.  I never heard of him before!

Believe me, if I spent 53 years somewhere in government, my name would be a household name, not an unknown.  When this story broke, I sat there and said this is the reason we need TERM LIMITS.  Too many people doing next to nothing conducting the peoples' business.  Part of the reason the founders set things up as they did was the intention for people to come, represent the people of their community, and get out to resume their lives.  They did not envision people staying 30, 40, 50 years.  Average life expectancy wasn't even that long!

Then why did they include term limits elsewhere and not in the house and senate? And why lifetime appointments elsewhere?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 01:49:42 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
jafo wrote:
"Fish, get real, that has no more chance to pass than the TERM LIMITS.
Half the folks in Congress are over 67."

You didn't read what I posted.
Go back and read it again.