Author Topic: Wild claim: Nuclear war could trigger big El Niño and decrease seafood  (Read 293 times)

rangerrebew

Wild claim: Nuclear war could trigger big El Niño and decrease seafood

Charles Rotter

Unprecedented warming in equatorial Pacific Ocean could last up to seven years

RUTGERS UNIVERSITY

A nuclear war could trigger an unprecedented El Niño-like warming episode in the equatorial Pacific Ocean, slashing algal populations by 40 percent and likely lowering the fish catch, according to a Rutgers-led study.

The research, published in the journal Communications Earth & Environment, shows that turning to the oceans for food if land-based farming fails after a nuclear war is unlikely to be a successful strategy – at least in the equatorial Pacific.

“In our computer simulations, we see a 40 percent reduction in phytoplankton (algae) biomass in the equatorial Pacific, which would likely have downstream effects on larger marine organisms that people eat,” said lead author Joshua Coupe, a post-doctoral research associate in the Department of Environmental Sciences in the School of Environmental and Biological Sciences at Rutgers University-New Brunswick. “Previous research has shown that global cooling following a nuclear war could lead to crop failure on land, and our study shows we probably can’t rely on seafood to help feed people, at least in that area of the world.”

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2021/01/25/nuclear-war-could-trigger-big-el-nino-and-decrease-seafood/

rangerrebew

It seems to me these articles coming out of NeverNeverland or phrased by the words could, might, chance, etc.  It seems a clever way for the author and publisher to say "we never said it would" to cover their *sses. :bs:

Offline PeteS in CA

Are the Rutgers "scientists" volunteering to observe in person?

Real science people need to take a 5-year total "fast" from using computer modeling. You know ... actually observe @#$% instead of pandering GIGO-grade computer projections!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
That's some assumptions, first about an El Nino after a nuclear war and second that there would be anyone left that cared. FFS isn't enough for the fear mongers to just recycle the end of the world scenarios we already have without come up with new ones to try and scare people with? *****rollingeyes*****

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
???

Pundit wonders about the price of his 5 Plate Shrimp Sampler at Red Lobster after a nuclear war?  :pondering:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
???

Pundit wonders about the price of his 5 Plate Shrimp Sampler at Red Lobster after a nuclear war?  :pondering:
I know that Pundit used to mean something different but anymore I think it has become an acceptable synonym for