Author Topic: US congressman files bill to make ‘Lift Every Voice and Sing’ new national hymn  (Read 908 times)

rangerrebew

US congressman files bill to make ‘Lift Every Voice and Sing’ new national hymn

25 January 2021, 12:43 | Updated: 26 January 2021, 14:05

By Maddy Shaw Roberts

Congressman Clyburn says if passed, the national hymn would have a special place alongside the existing US anthem, ‘The Star-Spangled Banner’.

United States congressman James Clyburn has filed a bill to make ‘Lift Every Voice and Sing’ the country’s new national hymn in a move the Democrat says, “would be an act of bringing the country together”.

‘Lift Every Voice and Sing’, popularly known as the Black national anthem, has had a place of honour in the Black musical canon for more than a century.

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/us-congressman-clyburn-lift-every-voice-national-hymn/

rangerrebew

I think "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone is a better choice! wink777

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I think "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone is a better choice! wink777

@rangerrebew

Works for me!
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
I say keep our current National Anthem and if they want to start playing a song for unity, I suggest "GOD Bless America"! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Sing both and sing them proudly!!!!  God Bless America, land that I love!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwPkhbmSoJQ
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

If we're gonna go the Sly Stone route I'd rather go with

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Sorry, our country is being ripped apart at every level and I just can't see the humor.  :patriot:
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

Sorry, our country is being ripped apart at every level and I just can't see the humor.  :patriot:

Its ok, we all have our own way of dealing with it.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
Its ok, we all have our own way of dealing with it.

I understand and I get it.  I am having a very difficult time dealing with the destruction.

Every time I have heard our National Anthem along with seeing our flag, it brought me to tears; and filled my heart with love and pride for our Country.

Yep, having a real difficult time.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 02:24:53 pm by libertybele »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
We are such a rassist country I say the new anthem shall be

"Play That Funky Music White Boy"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!

Dang you @Wignut you made me laugh!  (Really not funny though)

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
Stupid son of a bitch....   You think firing another  SJW bomb at us is going to bring the country together?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

My vote goes to "Living In the USA " by Chuck Berry
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline Right_in_Virginia

88devil

Offline Right_in_Virginia

If we're gonna go the Sly Stone route I'd rather go with

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Thanks a lot, @skeeter  I'll have this playing in my head for hours.   :laugh:

Offline skeeter

Just go with it. You can't fake the funk, @Right_in_Virginia

Offline dfwgator

"Baby Got Back" works for me.

Offline dfwgator

Of course the "Separation of Church And State" folks will have a field day with it.

The point is of course to eventually remove The Star Spangled Banner, this is just a means to an end.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Wingnut

Nope,don't go there! There wasn't a racist bone in Sly Stone. He really was all about "getting along",and this was in a time when the Black Panthers were strutting their stuff.

We gotta give credit where credit was due,and Sly was a proud American.

In fact,I don't recall ever hearing anyone of any race say anything derogatory about him.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Right_in_Virginia

I am going to go to my grave hearing that so weird but yet so right voice of Cynthia Robinson shouting "dance to the music" in my head.

How the HELL can a voice be so wrong,and yet be so right at the same time?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@Wingnut

Nope,don't go there! There wasn't a racist bone in Sly Stone. He really was all about "getting along",and this was in a time when the Black Panthers were strutting their stuff.

We gotta give credit where credit was due,and Sly was a proud American.

In fact,I don't recall ever hearing anyone of any race say anything derogatory about him.

Wild Cherry.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline skeeter

@Right_in_Virginia

I am going to go to my grave hearing that so weird but yet so right voice of Cynthia Robinson shouting "dance to the music" in my head.

How the HELL can a voice be so wrong,and yet be so right at the same time?
All the squares go home!

Offline christian

• I need to be in love, K.c. R.C.
They have been singing a new national hymn for a long time now.  Worship foreigners, foreign gods and hate whitey and America and everything America stands for. Burn baby burn,jihad  its cities,murder and rape, its all good, worship Mao, Che, Stalin!  I'm not sure how the rhythm goes, but the words are very repetitive.
Card carrying member of the national F-Joe Biden movement, and his minions

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Well, if there's to be a new "national anthem", I think it ought to be THIS:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If you people are nuts enough to pass up on Sly and the Family Stone,may I mention "In The Garden of Eden" by Iron Butterfly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVe-rZBcm4

After all,ain't slow joe and his co-conspirators/bosses creating a new Garden of Eden for us to enjoy?

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I know you are all, almost all, just trying to deal with something that is just one more asinine push from power mad asses. In all seriousness I think there is only one song, still second to our National Anthem, that should ever be considered and that is

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

You can just see communist heads in the Congress, Senate and the current residents of The White House and Blair House heads exploding!

God, Pride in America? It would be like Holy Water to a vampire(I wish).

Ok, second choice

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I guess I'm just too old fashioned in my pride and love for America, I still prefer the old standards, the old patriotism and love of country and yes even the old JFK style of democrat. Sure JFK was an adulterer, liar and drug addict but compared to todays communistcrats he was solidly middle of the road.

Remember when we had inaugurations like this one and a President like Reagan?

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Yes Trump gave us a voice, understood conservatives and did his best to try and follow through on our ideals. God knows I would rather have him and all his faults instead of Captain Dementia and his puppet masters. But oh how I miss Reagan, able to take a lie or slimy insult and in a gentlemanly manner sling it right back in the faces of those who spewed and all with a simple 'There you go again' or just a look, not a smarmy or hateful look like Biden or too many others. That is what Trump lacked too often and would have I'm sure been welcomed by even his most ardent supporters.

Oh well wishes in one hand  :poo: chocolate yogurt in the other squeeze em both together and you get what we have to try and survive, a White House full of shit.