Author Topic: Impeachment Manager Rep. DeGette: ‘Precedent Says You Can Try Somebody Who Has Left Office’  (Read 264 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Impeachment Manager Rep. DeGette: ‘Precedent Says You Can Try Somebody Who Has Left Office’

Trent Baker 25 Jan 2021

During a Monday appearance on CNN’s “New Day,” Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO), one of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-CA) impeachment managers, addressed pushback on impeaching former President Donald Trump now that he is no longer in office.

DeGette argued that there is “precedent” to try someone who is no longer in office. She reasoned that the precedent is “clear” because someone cannot just get away with doing whatever they want in their final days in office.

Host John Berman asked DeGette, “What’s your message to the people — and there are plenty out there — stating it as some constitutional fact that you can’t hold a trial for a former president?”

“Well, the precedent says you can try somebody who has left office,” DeGette replied. “The precedent is clear, but also the reason is, you can’t just say, ‘OK, if you are president, you can just do anything you want the last few weeks of your presidency with no consequence because then you couldn’t be tried.’ That’s not a good result. … The most telling example that you could see is what just happened where you have a president who incites a crowd to go and try to stop the certification of a legitimate election. You can’t just say, ‘Oh well, now you left office. So, no harm, no foul.’ That’s not the way it works.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2021/01/25/impeachment-manager-rep-degette-precedent-says-you-can-try-somebody-who-has-left-office/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
What precedent...cite it.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What precedent...cite it.

There's a thread by Byron York about that, and the Precedents are pretty week.  Under the Rats' reasoning, Nixon should have been impeached after he resigned.  A lot of Judges resigned before they were Impeached, and that halted all their impeachments.  The only person to have been Impeached after leaving office was a Cabinet Member in 1874, and they failed to convict.

Some Precedent...sheesh.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,426760.0.html

If the GOP wins the House in 2022, they should Impeach O'Bastard.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
There's a thread by Byron York about that, and the Precedents are pretty week.  Under the Rats' reasoning, Nixon should have been impeached after he resigned.  A lot of Judges resigned before they were Impeached, and that halted all their impeachments.  The only person to have been Impeached after leaving office was a Cabinet Member in 1874, and they failed to convict.

Some Precedent...sheesh.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,426760.0.html

If the GOP wins the House in 2022, they should Impeach O'Bastard

That would be truly satisfying.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline MajorClay

Does the word "moot" mean anything anymore?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Does the word "moot" mean anything anymore?

SCOTUS just threw out the "Emoluments" charges brought by the Rats over the last 4 years.  The reason?  "Moot."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: