Author Topic: Peter Ridd’s heretical manifesto  (Read 141 times)

rangerrebew

Peter Ridd’s heretical manifesto
« on: January 24, 2021, 01:27:19 pm »
Peter Ridd’s heretical manifesto

Date: 24/01/21
    David Mason-Jones, Quadrant

I found Peter Ridd’s book about the Great Barrier Reef, and the poor state of quality control in science, to be both refreshing and complimentary.

Refreshing because here is a scientist who actually talks about ‘The Science’. Complimentary because here is a scientist who treats the average person of general education as someone who just might be able to follow some scientific reasoning. This contrasts sharply with the way the public is treated by certain other scientists.

As an example of the faulty way that some science mandarins attempt to communicate with the public I will cite Tim Flannery’s latest book in a compare-and-contrast exercise. You will see, if you accept my view of Flannery, that his style is neither refreshing nor complimentary. He treats the reader with disdain. The information in Ridd’s book, and his style in presenting it, is far more engaging than either the information or style that Flannery presents. In reading Peter Ridd’s ‘Reef Heresy? … Science, Research and the Great Barrier Reef’ one is let in on some of ‘The Science’.

This is quite the opposite to what one finds in the writing or television presentations of professional warmists. A common form of communication for others writing about the Reef is simply to assert things about ‘The Science’. They don’t actually delve into the reasons or scientific logic/analysis that support their assertions. Importantly, they make a point of not expanding on any area where the results of a favoured piece of research can be shown to be doubtful. Peter Ridd does the opposite, and he does it with direct speech and in a clear manner.

https://www.thegwpf.com/peter-ridds-heretical-manifesto/