Author Topic: The world's largest animals are unusually good at taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.  (Read 172 times)

rangerrebew

Whales help to send carbon to the depths of the sea throughout their lives, and also when they die (Credit: Alamy)
By Sophie Yeo
19th January 2021
The world's largest animals are unusually good at taking carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.

Seeing a whale stranded on a beach often provokes a strong reaction. It can make people curious – beached whales can do strange things, like explode. It can also be upsetting to witness a creature so magnificent in water reduced to lifeless blubber on land. What rarely registers, however, is the lost opportunity for carbon sequestration.

Whales, particularly baleen and sperm whales, are among the largest creatures on Earth. Their bodies are enormous stores of carbon, and their presence in the ocean shapes the ecosystems around them.

From the depths of the ocean, these creatures are also helping to determine the temperature of the planet – and it's something that we've only recently started to appreciate.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210119-why-saving-whales-can-help-fight-climate-change

rangerrebew

They should put a whale tank in the middle of the Capitol and let them capture a bunch of carbon coming out with all the hot air from congress. :whistle:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Am I missing something here? I was always taught that mammals breath in oxygen and and expel CO2, did basic biology change when I wasn't looking? Now if they had said the worlds largets plants or colonies of plants were unusually good at taking CO2 out of the atmoshere I would agree.