Author Topic: Merrick Garland as Attorney General: What Does it Mean for Immigration?  (Read 183 times)

rangerrebew

Merrick Garland as Attorney General: What Does it Mean for Immigration?
avatar By Preston Huennekens   January 7, 2021 No Comments

On January 6, President-elect Joe Biden announced that he tapped D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals judge Merrick Garland for the role of Attorney General, the position that leads the Department of Justice. Merrick Garland is perhaps most famous for being President Barack Obama’s final nominee to fill a vacancy on the Supreme Court. The Republican-controlled Senate blocked his nomination by refusing to hold hearings, and his nomination expired when Donald Trump became president.

As Attorney General, Garland will have an incredible degree of control and influence over immigration law. The immigration courts – the Executive Office for Immigration Review – are a subordinate agency of the Justice Department. Efforts to stop the growth of the number of sanctuary cities largely falls to the Attorney General through the use of federal grants, and it is hard to think that Garland would continue the Trump Administration’s use of the Justice Department to crack down on those states and localities that ignore immigration law. Further, and perhaps most consequential, any codification or reissuance of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) executive amnesty would begin with action from Garland and the Justice Department.

https://www.immigrationreform.com/2021/01/07/merrick-garland-tapped-attorney-general-immigrationreform-com/

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Merrick Garland as Attorney General: What Does it Mean for Immigration?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 02:37:37 pm »
Main thing about Garland is that I am near 100% sure that he feels a SCOTUS seat was stolen from him. He will have a vendetta.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.