Author Topic: Progressives Want To Make DC And Puerto Rico States. It May Not Go As Well As They Think  (Read 147 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Progressives Want To Make DC And Puerto Rico States. It May Not Go As Well As They Think

Varun Hukeri
Reporter
January 15, 2021 9:24 PM ET

Democrats are heading into this year with control over the White House and majorities in both chambers of Congress after Republican losses in the presidential election and Georgia Senate runoffs.

Granting statehood to Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico has gained traction among progressive Democrats and could be considered in the upcoming Congress.

Progressives argue that adding D.C. and Puerto Rico as the union’s two newest states is a matter of representation. But the move appears more like a power grab to control the Senate, as pushing through statehood for both would add four likely Democratic seats, according to Five Thirty Eight.

Granting statehood would first require ending the filibuster, a move that moderate Democrats like West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin have already ruled out. But the issue goes beyond party politics — here’s why progressives may need to think twice about their plan to grant D.C. and Puerto Rico statehood.

more
https://dailycaller.com/2021/01/15/washington-dc-puerto-rico-statehood-progressives-democrats-congress/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I remember not too long ago Puerto Rico electing a Republican governor (Luís Fortuño). (Apparently even more recently there had been a Republican appointee to the post, Wanda Vázquez Garced.) So to think that PR would automatically be a solid blue state would be a grave miscalculation, I think.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

I remember not too long ago Puerto Rico electing a Republican governor (Luís Fortuño). (Apparently even more recently there had been a Republican appointee to the post, Wanda Vázquez Garced.) So to think that PR would automatically be a solid blue state would be a grave miscalculation, I think.

The DEMS can make Puerto Rico a blue state; all they have to do is set the voting machines accordingly.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.