Author Topic: Airman detains suspect after forming patrol in response to local burglary spree  (Read 199 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
American Military News by Arielle Zionts January 14, 2021

Abe Wheeler knew the burglary suspect he cornered last week might be armed with a stolen gun but he used his Air Force training to stay calm and focus on his mission.

“The guy was starting to get kind of antsy. I could see his feet moving and stuff, and just my experience in the military, I knew he was going to run so I unzipped my jacket, getting ready for the chase,” Wheeler said Tuesday in front of the Rapid City home where he found the suspect.

Wheeler, who works in Security Forces at Ellsworth Air Force Base, gave chase after the man slipped past him and three other neighbors.

The man stopped in front of a nearby apartment building, fidgeting and reaching into his bag. Wheeler said he took out but never pointed his handgun at the man.

“I went over there to that corner, pushed him against the wall and then I got him on the ground and the officers came,” he said while standing in front of the apartment building.

Cody Winstead, the 21-year-old Rapid City man that Wheeler detained, was arrested by officers that Thursday evening.

More: https://americanmilitarynews.com/2021/01/airman-detains-suspect-after-forming-patrol-in-response-to-local-burglary-spree/