Author Topic: Senate Adjusts Rules to Stop Democrats from Killing GOP Bills  (Read 187 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Senate Adjusts Rules to Stop Democrats from Killing GOP Bills
« on: January 14, 2021, 01:40:19 pm »
Texas Scorecard By Brandon Waltens January 13, 2021

State Sen. Bryan Hughes says the changing the ‘three-fifths” rule to the “five-ninths” rule strikes a balance between majority rule and protecting the minority.

The Texas Senate has changed their rules in an attempt to ensure Republican legislation can’t be blocked by Democrats.

Republicans currently hold 18 of the 31 seats in the Texas Senate. That’s one less than last session, due to the defeat of Republican State Sen. Pete Flores (Pleasanton) in November.

Under the old rules of the Senate, that could lead to Democrats being empowered to block Republican legislation, despite Republicans holding a majority.

Here’s how: In the Senate, a simple majority is all that is technically required to pass legislation. However, bills are required to be taken up in the order they are placed on the calendar.

More: https://texasscorecard.com/state/senate-adjusts-rules-to-stop-democrats-from-killing-gop-bills/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Senate Adjusts Rules to Stop Democrats from Killing GOP Bills
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 03:02:12 pm »
But the Texas House would have none of that!

Yesterday your overwhelmingly Republican Texas House voted down an amendment to the rules which would have required the top 11 committees to be chaired by the majority party. (See how your member voted here)

Things like this are why I have no more faith in the self-serving bastards in Austin than I do the ones in Washington.

Here's a little more of yesterday's chicanery! State Rep. Jeff Cason brought an amendment to protect the rights of citizens to record video in public committee hearings. Unfortunately, this amendment failed with over two-thirds of the House voting against the rights of citizens.

See the vote here
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 03:03:21 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien