Author Topic: Despite riot, 17 Texans in Congress declined to certify Biden's win. Here's what they say.  (Read 147 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle  by Taylor Goldenstein and Benjamin Wermund Jan. 7, 2021

Seventeen of the 25 Texas Republicans in Congress objected to counting Electoral College votes for President-elect Joe Biden overnight, virtually all of them pointing to debunked claims of voter fraud and sticking to plans to reject Biden’s win.

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz also objected to results from Arizona and Pennsylvania as he stuck to calls for an “emergency audit” of the election results, even as some of the Republican senators who had backed his efforts dropped their objections after President Donald Trump’s supporters stormed the Capitol on Wednesday.

“The attack at the Capitol was a despicable act of terrorism and a shocking assault on our democratic system,” Cruz said in a statement early Thursday morning, saying he had pushed for a commission to study the results to “give Americans confidence in this past election and in elections going forward.”

“It was the right thing to do,” he said. “I very much wish Congress had not set aside these concerns, but I respect the position each of my colleagues took. Debate in the two houses of Congress is the proper way to resolve our political differences, not through violent attacks.”

The 16 Texans in the House that objected to results from Arizona, Pennsylvania or both are: Jodey Arrington of Lubbock; Brian Babin of Woodville; Michael Burgess of Pilot Point; John Carter of Round Rock; Michael Cloud of Victoria; Pat Fallon of Sherman; Louie Gohmert of Tyler; Lance Gooden of Terrell; Ronny Jackson of Amarillo; Troy Nehls of Richmond; August Pfluger of San Angelo; Pete Sessions of Waco; Beth Van Duyne of Irving; Randy Weber of Friendswood; Roger Williams of Austin; and Ron Wright of Arlington.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-lawmakers-biden-win-vote-explain-capitol-15852593.php