Author Topic: BREAKING: Apple is currently threatening to ban Parler -- the free speech alternative to Twitter  (Read 2972 times)

BassWrangler

Amazon Boots Parler Off Web Hosting Service

Alana Mastrangelo9 Jan 202144,561
3:44

Amazon is booting social media platform Parler off its web hosting service Amazon Web Services (AWS), which will knock the platform offline on Sunday until it can find a new host.

Amazon says that c0ntent on the social media site violates its terms of service, adding that it does not believe Parler has a good strategy for cracking down on speech on its platform, according to an email obtained by BuzzFeed News.

“Recently, we’ve seen a steady increase in this violent content on your website, all of which violates our terms,” said Amazon in its email to Parler. “It’s clear that Parler does not have an effective process to comply with the AWS terms of service.”

“It also seems that Parler is still trying to determine its position on content moderation,” the email added. “You remove some violent content when contacted by us or others, but not always with urgency.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/tech/2021/01/09/amazon-boots-parler-off-web-hosting-service/#

if everyone just “took a pause” on Amazon purchases for a few months, they would feel it. They have huge sales volume due to COVID, but I don’t believe their margins are very high. Adding overhead can also hit them hard.

Offline roamer_1

if everyone just “took a pause” on Amazon purchases for a few months, they would feel it. They have huge sales volume due to COVID, but I don’t believe their margins are very high. Adding overhead can also hit them hard.

I am done. Just got rid of my farcebook account. And I was diggin around on Amazon to figure out how to delete that too. I can do alright on ebay.

Already half moved over onto bitchute so my yootoob days are already numbered - And that has been ongoing for some time. It ain't just politics there. more than half the religious content I prefer has already been axed, along with about a third of my homestead and bushcraft channels.

Google is the tough one. I can move my PIM off there and onto Microsoft, but that ain't much better.
Would like an alt email/pim/office that syncs between devices if someone can recommend.

I do intend to nuke and pave my phone and leave it in Samsung stuff - maybe I can be alright with bixby for an AI, and I don't even know if samsung offers email and office stuff...

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:20:57 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I am done. Just got rid of my farcebook account. And I was diggin around on Amazon to figure out how to delete that too. I can do alright on ebay.

Already half moved over onto bitchute so my yootoob days are already numbered - And that has been ongoing for some time. It ain't just politics there. more than half the religious content I prefer has already been axed, along with about a third of my homestead and bushcraft channels.

Google is the tough one. I can move my PIM off there and onto Microsoft, but that ain't much better.
Would like an alt email/pim/office that syncs between devices if someone can recommend.

I do intend to nuke and pave my phone and leave it in Samsung stuff - maybe I can be alright with bixby for an AI, and I don;t even know if samsung offers email and office stuff...

Your cable provider usually give you an email address.

Offline roamer_1

One thing I would miss are AI assistants. I do use the shit out of those. "Hey siri call my wife on speaker". Just so fast and easy.

Returning to our sidebar, an addendum:

Have you ever tried Bixby? No really, quit laughing...

I had a wild hair after this whole Parler thing, and talking with you, and in some part @thackney , and decided I had enough - I proceeded to remove Google from my life - Now I already know that to be impossible at some level, but I figured to find that level and proceed no further. Wherever 'there' was would be my proverbial line in the sand. For now.

Foremost on the list was AI, and having given Bixby the axe without forethought for Giggles on the grounds of 'better the devil I know', I revisited Bixby. And Bixby is now where I want to be.

In the first place, She understands me. In a roughly four hour period, I had to correct her once, maybe twice. And that is barely getting to know her. I have been with Giggles forever and in that same time frame, would have corrected or rephrased many times... call it 10, just to give it a number.

Also not to be forgotten, she 'moves' to whichever device is closest and will only answer from one device - presumably the one you are using. If I say 'Hey Giggles', she wakes up on anything within earshot, all at the same time. Presumably then, actions by Bixby (reminders, alarms) would follow suit, and would follow you.

These two structural differences are enough to make Bixby worth a look for me.

And in the course of that, I began to give the axe to Giggles and to Google in general. Not having the sheer balls that would take on my actual phone, I began on my tablet. Nuke and Pave. Have my samsung account the reins, and didn't even let Google in the door till I finally set up email.

I enabled Bixby Home, and used the stock samsung apps - all of which normally would have been disabled in favor of Google (Contacts, Messages, Keyboard, and etc). And disabling as much Google as that android could take... Now of course, that left my PIM intact - As soon as I entered my mail, Samsung's messaging and PIM components found my stash.

And it was a worthy lesson - My tablet is much lighter now and still functional, albeit that I am uncomfortable in the apps I am using, though that may come with time as I become accustomed.

But it was also a failure - At the very bottom of everything is location. and it uses Google for that natively, and to my knowledge, without recourse. And IF Google location THEN all is google, and there is very little difference in what you might do above that. You CAN disable location... But the bloody thing is a brick without it.

And the final straw for this go-around... My tablet is Giggles ONLY. I cannot get the Bixby components that are the AI ... I guess it is too old. Which may force the issue for a new tab.

But I CAN say that Bixby is worth a look.

Offline roamer_1

Your cable provider usually give you an email address.

Oh I have my own site. I can make all the email addys I want. It's calendar and task and reminders that are the hook. Currently looking into how to set up my own - but that's a whole lot of monkey-farting that Reaaally wasn't on my agenda - you know, that agenda over there on Google..

Offline thackney

Oh I have my own site. I can make all the email addys I want. It's calendar and task and reminders that are the hook. Currently looking into how to set up my own - but that's a whole lot of monkey-farting that Reaaally wasn't on my agenda - you know, that agenda over there on Google..

Please continue to share.  I use google more than I like for the functions you list.  Because my work uses it, I've taken it on for my personal uses.  I think I want to separate that.

But I am one to ponder and look at for quite a while before making changes.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

• Technical
Returning to our sidebar, an addendum:

Have you ever tried Bixby? No really, quit laughing...

I had a wild hair after this whole Parler thing, and talking with you, and in some part @thackney , and decided I had enough - I proceeded to remove Google from my life - Now I already know that to be impossible at some level, but I figured to find that level and proceed no further. Wherever 'there' was would be my proverbial line in the sand. For now.

Foremost on the list was AI, and having given Bixby the axe without forethought for Giggles on the grounds of 'better the devil I know', I revisited Bixby. And Bixby is now where I want to be.

In the first place, She understands me. In a roughly four hour period, I had to correct her once, maybe twice. And that is barely getting to know her. I have been with Giggles forever and in that same time frame, would have corrected or rephrased many times... call it 10, just to give it a number.

Also not to be forgotten, she 'moves' to whichever device is closest and will only answer from one device - presumably the one you are using. If I say 'Hey Giggles', she wakes up on anything within earshot, all at the same time. Presumably then, actions by Bixby (reminders, alarms) would follow suit, and would follow you.

These two structural differences are enough to make Bixby worth a look for me.

And in the course of that, I began to give the axe to Giggles and to Google in general. Not having the sheer balls that would take on my actual phone, I began on my tablet. Nuke and Pave. Have my samsung account the reins, and didn't even let Google in the door till I finally set up email.

I enabled Bixby Home, and used the stock samsung apps - all of which normally would have been disabled in favor of Google (Contacts, Messages, Keyboard, and etc). And disabling as much Google as that android could take... Now of course, that left my PIM intact - As soon as I entered my mail, Samsung's messaging and PIM components found my stash.

And it was a worthy lesson - My tablet is much lighter now and still functional, albeit that I am uncomfortable in the apps I am using, though that may come with time as I become accustomed.

But it was also a failure - At the very bottom of everything is location. and it uses Google for that natively, and to my knowledge, without recourse. And IF Google location THEN all is google, and there is very little difference in what you might do above that. You CAN disable location... But the bloody thing is a brick without it.

And the final straw for this go-around... My tablet is Giggles ONLY. I cannot get the Bixby components that are the AI ... I guess it is too old. Which may force the issue for a new tab.

But I CAN say that Bixby is worth a look.

Never used Bixby, I'll have to check it out.

• Technical
Please continue to share.  I use google more than I like for the functions you list.  Because my work uses it, I've taken it on for my personal uses.  I think I want to separate that.

If you buy a domain name you can create all the email addresses you want, provided they go with that domain name. Calendar is generally ruled by MS Exchange. I'm unsure if there's an FOSS alternative to MS Exchange. Calendar is sort of a required business functionality these days, I know Roamer has a data recovery business of some sort.

Offline roamer_1

If you buy a domain name you can create all the email addresses you want, provided they go with that domain name. Calendar is generally ruled by MS Exchange. I'm unsure if there's an FOSS alternative to MS Exchange. Calendar is sort of a required business functionality these days, I know Roamer has a data recovery business of some sort.

Yes, there are two - CALDAV and CARDDAV being one... I can't remember the other. I messed with this a long time ago in conjunction with the 'lightning' extension of Moz Thunderbird (which I still prefer). I found my way through it to reasonable calendar services, but without alarms and notifications, and missing tasking, which drove me back into MS. The eventuality was Google which does most of that better for me than MS does, because of it's transparency across devices.

Another option is to put the MYPhone interface onto a droid - basically turning it into a MS front end... Dunno how that is going since they backed off on Cortana... But that's just one devil for the other.

@thackney

Offline roamer_1

I will be sure to ping you to it if I get anywhere...  :beer:

Offline thackney

But that's just one devil for the other.

That is also how I see it.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

That is also how I see it.

YES... But as a windows shop... Maybe better to choose one devil over two...

The thing I was talking about is MS Laucher, which basically offers to move your phone into MS... It is a whole new desktop for the phone, and last I was on it, it shoveled in Edge and Cortana and outlook, which would not be that bad... I can easy move over into Outlook. I have an MS ID already and shoveling it all through that would make it seamless with my PCs...