Author Topic: BREAKING: Apple is currently threatening to ban Parler -- the free speech alternative to Twitter  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
My new Twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/weird_fig

:laugh:

Not cause I love Trump or agree with everything he does, I just hate these people way more.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
@realrushlimbaugh has been suspended by Twitter as well.
I guess they just couldn't tolerate what he might say with the short time he has left.  All they have done is boost listeners to his radio show and website, though I suppose the communists will work hard to find a way to censor all non approved speech on the internet also, especially now that they hold all the power and the USSC has decided to hell with that damn old Constitution thingy and that their job is to not rock the boat or people might get mad.

Offline roamer_1

Ditto. I was going to say that wasn't the name of the BB OS, but maybe it was. I was actually thinking about PalmOS... the OS for Palm Pilots. Remember those? I did a college project on PalmOS.

I went another way. a REVO. I still miss that thing. Still would rather have a clam.

Offline roamer_1

Who cares. This is beyond the ability of 99.999% of the US population.

Nah. Simple. And the Parler.apk is already available at the bottom of the page on Parler.com.

I think this is funny as all get out. You know the reason they are banning the install is because HALF THE COUNTRY was migrating off their tyrannical platform(s).

It won't stop. not any more than they could stop torrent.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Nah. Simple. And the Parler.apk is already available at the bottom of the page on Parler.com.

I think this is funny as all get out. You know the reason they are banning the install is because HALF THE COUNTRY was migrating off their tyrannical platform(s).

@roamer_1
I signed up with Parler using Firefox on my computer with a little difficult but the app is hosed on my iPhone. If I might ask what would you say is the best non google browser? I really want to start migrating away from google as much as I can. Unfortunately all my email accounts are Gmail  :thud:

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1
I signed up with Parler using Firefox on my computer with a little difficult but the app is hosed on my iPhone. If I might ask what would you say is the best non google browser? I really want to start migrating away from google as much as I can. Unfortunately all my email accounts are Gmail  :thud:

@GtHawk

That'd be Firefox for ubiquity. There are others... PaleMoon or Brave forked off of Firefox... Kiwi forked off of Chrome... But sync is important to me... that all my devices maintain a single profile with all the bookmarks and addons and such updating automatically... And that boils down to Chrome, Edge, and Firefox for full service. And of those choices Firefox is a no-brainer. Fair warning: I have no idea how FF works on a mac, or an apple phone. Probably the only things I hate more than Google are Microsoft and Apple... And I damn well will never use an Apple anything.

And stay off of Google for your front page too. and for searching... StartPage, DuckDuck... I am on Yippy right now. Trying to get away from StartPage because it (and DuckDuck) are Google scrapers - You ask them and then they ask google, scrape the page and give the results to you on their own. A step away from Google, but Google is still getting the hits, and controlling content with their algorithms. So Yippy for now, but I can't really recommend it yet. Still officially StartPage or DuckDuckGo for start and search... And there is Ask, and DogPile... Hunnerts of em.

But wow is it worth it for me... I listen to youtube a whole lot and just for ads... In a droid phone it is impossible to avoid ads in the youtube app... and Chrome will refer anything youtube to the youtube app... But Firefox on Droid, with UBlock Origin added on, and not a single ad on youtube on my droids. Just how I like it. Just like my pooters.

• Technical
I went another way. a REVO. I still miss that thing. Still would rather have a clam.

Nice simple gui, doesn't constantly phone home.

One thing I would miss are AI assistants. I do use the shit out of those. "Hey siri call my wife on speaker". Just so fast and easy.

Online DB

@GtHawk

That'd be Firefox for ubiquity. There are others... PaleMoon or Brave forked off of Firefox... Kiwi forked off of Chrome... But sync is important to me... that all my devices maintain a single profile with all the bookmarks and addons and such updating automatically... And that boils down to Chrome, Edge, and Firefox for full service. And of those choices Firefox is a no-brainer. Fair warning: I have no idea how FF works on a mac, or an apple phone. Probably the only things I hate more than Google are Microsoft and Apple... And I damn well will never use an Apple anything.

And stay off of Google for your front page too. and for searching... StartPage, DuckDuck... I am on Yippy right now. Trying to get away from StartPage because it (and DuckDuck) are Google scrapers - You ask them and then they ask google, scrape the page and give the results to you on their own. A step away from Google, but Google is still getting the hits, and controlling content with their algorithms. So Yippy for now, but I can't really recommend it yet. Still officially StartPage or DuckDuckGo for start and search... And there is Ask, and DogPile... Hunnerts of em.

But wow is it worth it for me... I listen to youtube a whole lot and just for ads... In a droid phone it is impossible to avoid ads in the youtube app... and Chrome will refer anything youtube to the youtube app... But Firefox on Droid, with UBlock Origin added on, and not a single ad on youtube on my droids. Just how I like it. Just like my pooters.

I've been using Edge for awhile now and it has worked pretty well. I've also been using Bing for my search engine. Are you aware of any particularly nasty issues with either? I'm down to two Google products I still use but would consider alternatives. The first is I have an Android phone but I don't use it much. And the second is our company uses Gmail Business for our Email services. The big plus with that is the spam is minimal and it almost always works.

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me

Thank you for pointing out the location of the Parler app.  If they are going to get around the App store censorship they will need to make it a lot more obvious.

Let it burn.

BassWrangler

Saw on Parler that the email provider that Trump and his campaign use for mass emails has also banned Trump, so he's currently unable to send out those mass emails to followers. I hope they have a backup of the list.

Also, Shopify banned him, so the Trump campaign store is offline at the moment.

• Technical
Saw on Parler that the email provider that Trump and his campaign use for mass emails has also banned Trump, so he's currently unable to send out those mass emails to followers. I hope they have a backup of the list.

Lots of opportunities for conservative entrepreneurs/techies with this stuff no?  :whistle:

Lot's of techies out of work in the downturn.

Offline roamer_1

Nice simple gui, doesn't constantly phone home.

Oh man, but that thing was great for me. Not very much bigger than my Samsung Galaxy A50... well, probably two of them fashioned into a clam... Fit right in the pocket of a flannel shirt. I had been printing my schedule to my DayPlanner for years (I had a monster DayPlanner) then editing it on the road, and having to double post into my electric schedule in Outlook to print it out again tomorrow morning - The only way I could do it, as I needed Outlook for the interface to MSProject. Man I got that little REVO and it was not long but that DayPlanner hit the trash. Come home at night, throw it into it's tray and it synced to Outlook like friggin magic.

It was frustrating too though. Technically it could get to internet, but it required a special cord to tie it to my cell, and only European cells were supported. Drove me crazy to be so close to doing it all, but so far away. I didn't really get all the way there till smartphones. Like, maybe 3 years ago.  :laugh:

Now, finally, email anywhere I go, schedule syncs to all devices... I really want for nothing except tasking which sucks as I am task oriented. But even that is getting better.

One thing I would miss are AI assistants. I do use the shit out of those. "Hey siri call my wife on speaker". Just so fast and easy.

Yeah... Giggles and me have a love-hate thing going on. She gets pissed at me for being such a redneck - Half the time she doesn't understand a dang thing I am saying. I keep saying I need an AI that has two first names and calls me sugar.  :laugh:

But I would miss her if she weren't there. And NAV. I would seriously miss navigation. And the PIM thing I said before. And instant internet and email pretty much anywhere on the valley floor. And even danged ol text, which I hate most the time. I harrumph a lot about going back to a flip phone, but I confess, I don't think I ever will.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:45:24 pm by roamer_1 »

• Technical
Oh man, but that thing was great for me. Not very much bigger than my Samsung Galaxy A50... well, probably two of them fashioned into a clam... Fit right in the pocket of a flannel shirt. I had been printing my schedule to my DayPlanner for years (I had a monster DayPlanner) then editing it on the road, and having to double post into my electric schedule in Outlook to print it out again tomorrow morning - The only way I could do it, as I needed Outlook for the interface to MSProject. Man I got that little REVO and it was not long but that DayPlanner hit the trash. Come home at night, throw it into it's tray and it synced to Outlook like friggin magic.

It was frustrating too though. Technically it could get to internet, but it required a special cord to tie it to my cell, and only European cells were supported. Drove me crazy to be so close to doing it all, but so far away. I didn't really get all the way there till smartphones. Like, maybe 3 years ago.  :laugh:

Now, finally, email anywhere I go, schedule syncs to all devices... I really want for nothing except tasking which sucks as I am task oriented. But even that is getting better.

Yeah... Giggles and me have a love-hate thing going on. She gets pissed at me for being such a redneck - Have the time she doesn't understand a dang thing I am saying. I keep saying I need an AI that has two first names and calls me sugar.  :laugh:

But I would miss her if she weren't there. And NAV. I would seriously miss navigation. And the PIM thing I said before. And instant internet and email pretty much anywhere on the valley floor. And even danged ol text, which I hate most the time. I harrumph a lot about going back to a flip phone, but I confess, I don't think I ever will.

Heh, in the late 90's i had a modem for my palm pilot... I carried around a phone cord and used the thing like people use iphones today. I would just find a phone jack to plug into it and dial into compuserve or whatever i had then.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, they still sell the damn thing on amazon apparently, if you like spending $100 for completely obsolete tech:

https://www.amazon.com/PalmOne-Modem-Connectivity-Palm-IIIc/dp/B00004WHFG
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:47:20 pm by Weird Tolkienish Figure »

Offline libertybele

I just looked on Amazon...Trump shirts and flags are still up on their website.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

BassWrangler

I just looked on Amazon...Trump shirts and flags are still up on their website.

@libertybele
Those are just independent vendors selling on Amazon. The official Trump campaign store is here:

https://shop.donaldjtrump.com/

Click the link and right now you will see an error message like the attached screenshot shows.

Offline Ghost Bear

Lots of opportunities for conservative entrepreneurs/techies with this stuff no?  :whistle:

Lot's of techies out of work in the downturn.

Yes indeed. The one that I thought of this morning was an independent web hosting service with its own storage. Too many services rely on AWS to provide their actual storage space, and AWS has already shown a willingness to shut down websites that they don't like politically.
Let it burn.

Offline roamer_1

I've been using Edge for awhile now and it has worked pretty well. I've also been using Bing for my search engine. Are you aware of any particularly nasty issues with either? I'm down to two Google products I still use but would consider alternatives. The first is I have an Android phone but I don't use it much. And the second is our company uses Gmail Business for our Email services. The big plus with that is the spam is minimal and it almost always works.

Well no, just another devil like the one you already know. Edge is Chrome under the hood, and MS is tracking you like crazy, just like Google does. There ain't nothing for it though. Pick your poison.

I have elected a distributed method. I use edge for anything MS related - Technet and such where I use my MS handle and email... I use Chrome for anything Google related - My PIM and all that are on Google because I too have a droid... Particularly YouTube, Messages for the Web, and other Google products... And I use my Google handle and email there. But my main thing, what I surf with and do about everything with is Firefox with anonymous throw-away handles and email. So I seem to be a good little peasant for Google and Microsoft... Let em track me as they can... But I am really doing the real thing in Firefox.

And the really real thing from a Linux war drive with a mac addy spoofer from a stumbled connection  :police:

You are savvy enough you ought to have a linux laptop with no reference to you at all in it, that you never use from home... That particular machine, and the alias built up there for years might be something handy pretty soon.

Being in the business, mine cost me nearly nothing... And I find it to be handy on occasion even now.  :whistle:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You'll still be able to sideload it.

Exactly...  since when is an app needed to load a program.  Get there the old fashioned way.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

Thank you for pointing out the location of the Parler app.  If they are going to get around the App store censorship they will need to make it a lot more obvious.

You're welcome.  happy77 I stuffed it in for a minute and all it seemed to do was put a short on my desktop that calls an instance of firefox pointed at Parler. So it even gets by the playstore bad app security and install security. Even with 'no non-playstore apps' invoked.Just installed it right from Firefox.

But it is gone now. I don't need that sort of thing. Forums and texting are plenty enough for me.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@GtHawk

I use FF on my MacBook Pro and it’s operates just fine.  If you have FF on your phone everything syncs between them. 
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline roamer_1

Heh, in the late 90's i had a modem for my palm pilot... I carried around a phone cord and used the thing like people use iphones today. I would just find a phone jack to plug into it and dial into compuserve or whatever i had then.

EDIT: as a matter of fact, they still sell the damn thing on amazon apparently, if you like spending $100 for completely obsolete tech:

https://www.amazon.com/PalmOne-Modem-Connectivity-Palm-IIIc/dp/B00004WHFG

HA! Lucky dog. I carried phone cords and would tap into phones on my way with my laptop. I still remember Perkins having network RJ45 jacks on the top of the tables... Spent many a lunch and dinner at Perkins... But heck I even carried a regular house phone around in the truck and would plug into the grey box on the side of client houses to make calls (w/permission) You have to remember how bad cell service is in the mountains. It is way better now, here in the valley, but at the time, service was only a fair bet.

STILL luggin that ol laptop around. But now I just go find a coffee shop with air, or turn my phone into a hotspot. But that is a rare thing anymore. If I can cover my email and text and PIM with the phone, all I really have the laptop for is downloading PC stuff for fixing pooters onsite. Still like having it around for restaurants though. Kinda nice for perusing the news and such instead of the phone. And since I have to have it with me anyway...  :shrug:

Offline roamer_1

I use FF on my MacBook Pro and it’s operates just fine.  If you have FF on your phone everything syncs between them.

Thank you - Nice to know. If you can, add on Ublock Origin to Firefox, and see how that goes = You should never see an ad again. Or nearly so.

Offline roamer_1

Yes indeed. The one that I thought of this morning was an independent web hosting service with its own storage. Too many services rely on AWS to provide their actual storage space, and AWS has already shown a willingness to shut down websites that they don't like politically.

My site is on DreamHost for exactly that reason. As far as I know, they are self-contained.

Offline Ghost Bear

My site is on DreamHost for exactly that reason. As far as I know, they are self-contained.

This really could promote a revolution in social media and other tech services. Monopolies/Oligopolies are fine so long as they continue to serve the needs of their customers. As soon as they become inconvenient or impossible to use to a large enough number of current/potential customers, new providers will emerge.
Let it burn.

Offline roamer_1

This really could promote a revolution in social media and other tech services. Monopolies/Oligopolies are fine so long as they continue to serve the needs of their customers. As soon as they become inconvenient or impossible to use to a large enough number of current/potential customers, new providers will emerge.

... as is currently proving out. Youtube really had no peer a year or two ago... Now bitchute and rumble are coming on... And I will lay you bets that Twitter goes down by 30% or more over this, and gives Parler a kick right into the big leagues.... And I hope MeWe myspaces Farcebook. It was all unthinkable just a little while ago...