Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 51176 times)

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #850 on: December 27, 2021, 09:23:34 pm »
And the fact he and Mandela's African National Congress had ties and backing by communist parties.

I'll chalk this one to "speak no ill of the dead".  Next
Do you wonder if his opposition to the fossil fuel industry extended to the Mandela's special necklaces they were so fond of gifting those they disagreed with?

Online libertybele

« Reply #851 on: December 27, 2021, 11:30:23 pm »
Richard Marcinko, the first head of the elite SEAL Team Six, has died

Richard Marcinko, a legendary military figure known for leading SEAL Team Six when the covert special operations unit was in its infancy, died Saturday, according to his son and the National Navy SEAL Museum. He was 81.
"Last night, Christmas evening, we lost a hero, who's also known as The Rogue Warrior, the retired Navy SEAL commander AND the creator of SEAL Team Six, my father, Richard Marcinko," Matt Marcinko wrote in a tweet on Sunday.
"His legacy will live forever. The man has died a true legend," he added.

Richard Marcinko, a combat veteran of the Vietnam War, was the first commanding officer of SEAL Team Six, the secretive unit formed in 1980 that would later carry out the operation that killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan in 2011. ...........

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/27/politics/richard-marcinko-dead-seal-team-six/index.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #852 on: December 28, 2021, 12:30:54 am »
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fus.macmillan.com%2Fauthor%2Frichardmarcinko&psig=AOvVaw1QRXvvtjY_rluDGFSnlCjV&ust=1640688185917000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjlt6v15YP1AhWZEVkFHYHxCmUQjRx6BAgAEAk
On Christmas Eve, 12/24/2021, we lost a true Legend and Hero in the Special Operations Community….
Commander Richard ‘Demo Dick’ Marcinko was a legendary Navy SEAL during the Vietnam War who went on to lead SEAL Team 2.  Following Operation Eagle Claw, the failed attempt to rescue American hostages held in Iran in 1979, he was tasked to create a Navy counterterrorism capability, which he named SEAL Team Six, and he was the unit’s first commander.  He later ran a naval base defense program, unofficially called Red Cell. 
RIP Commander Richard Marcinko…
Fair Winds and Following Seas….

A personal hero of mine.
Sorry to hear that.
A lifelong friend served under Marcinko and was a plankowner in Team 6.
He spoke highly of the man.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #853 on: December 29, 2021, 12:39:48 am »
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nfl-super-bowl-coach-john-madden-dead-at-85NFL

NFL legend John Madden died Tuesday at the age of 85, the league announced in a statement. 

"On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our condolences to Virginia, Mike, Joe and their families," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "We all know him as the Hall of Fame coach of the Oakland Raiders and broadcaster who worked for every major network, but more than anything, he was a devoted husband, father and grandfather. "Nobody loved football more than Coach. He was football. He was an incredible sound board to me and so many others. There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what it is today."
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 12:41:58 am by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #854 on: December 29, 2021, 12:44:30 am »
https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2021-12-28/john-madden-dead

Loved John!  RIP.

"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #855 on: December 29, 2021, 12:49:07 am »
The one thing I remember about Maden more than anything else was a tv interview he once did and talked about how much he loved playing against the Bronco's at Mile High Stadium. When asked why,he said "The last time we were here I was at the 7-11 down the street from the stadium getting a Slurpee,when this little Mexican kid came up to me and screamed "DIE,FAT MAN!",and (I,Madden) laughed. He said that was the kind of team spirit he admired.

He had a "Christmas Morning,opening the packages" delighted look on his face as he was telling the story,too.

This is NOT saying the players on his team did NOT have good reason to move to anywhere he wasn't when things weren't going well for the Raiders. He WAS an intense coach.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:05:15 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #856 on: December 29, 2021, 01:22:05 am »
https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2021-12-28/john-madden-dead

Loved John!  RIP.

"The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else."

My favorite Madden moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1SeAjv5ao

“Madden is on the field. He wants to know if it’s real. They said yes, get your big butt out of here! He does!”

Online Kamaji

« Reply #857 on: December 29, 2021, 01:36:55 am »

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #858 on: December 29, 2021, 01:53:45 am »
My favorite Madden moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y1SeAjv5ao

“Madden is on the field. He wants to know if it’s real. They said yes, get your big butt out of here! He does!”

I loved his tribute to Pat Summerall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIeG4s4D6g4

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #859 on: December 29, 2021, 02:03:43 am »
I loved his tribute to Pat Summerall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIeG4s4D6g4

It just serves as a reminder of how unwatchable the NFL is today, compared to back then.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #860 on: December 29, 2021, 02:08:37 am »
"The only thing a prevent defense does is prevent you from winning."
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #861 on: December 29, 2021, 02:14:45 am »
Harry Reid is dead (at last):  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/former-senate-majority-leader-harry-reid-dies-at-82

I suppose his family may love and miss that odious carbuncle.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:16:20 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #862 on: December 29, 2021, 02:16:44 am »
I suppose his family may love and miss that odious carbuncle.
Not his brother, perhaps.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline verga

« Reply #863 on: December 29, 2021, 02:34:33 am »
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #864 on: December 29, 2021, 06:04:47 am »
I have nothing nice to say, so I will say nothing.

888mouth
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #865 on: December 29, 2021, 11:58:34 am »
888mouth yeah, me, too.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #866 on: December 29, 2021, 05:02:46 pm »

@verga

Why? If he was an asshat when he was alive,he is now a dead asshat.

The reverse also applies. If he was a good man while living,he should be remembered as a good man.

I vote "Asshat" on this one.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #867 on: December 29, 2021, 06:48:13 pm »
@verga

The reverse also applies. If he was a good man while living,he should be remembered as a good man.

Asshat it is.

Superb logic.

@Slide Rule
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #868 on: December 29, 2021, 06:51:39 pm »
@verga

You have a point.

Mark Anthony at the forum in Julius Caesar:
The evil men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones.

We should give him appropriate credit for the lingering effects of his efforts.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #869 on: December 30, 2021, 10:51:47 am »
@verga

@sneakypete There are two reasons:
1) I was always taught not to speak ill of the dead.
2) I wish I had the self control to limit myself to something as inoffensive as "Asshat". Sadly my opinion of the man is such that it would offend most people in polite society and possible get me banned or at least a time out in this forum.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #870 on: December 30, 2021, 11:19:44 am »
@sneakypete There are two reasons:
1) I was always taught not to speak ill of the dead.

Yep. 'Nuff said.  :beer:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #871 on: December 31, 2021, 07:35:48 pm »
We thought it never would happen.
Betty White Dead at 99
    Exclusive
12/31/2021 11:02 AM PT

Beloved actress, comedian and American icon Betty White has died, just weeks before a milestone birthday ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Betty passed away at her home just before 9:30 AM Friday.

A trailblazer and pioneer in media, Betty had the longest running career for any woman in TV prior to her death -- starring in multiple shows over the past 8 decades, starting way back in 1939.

Betty is perhaps most famous for her lead role as Rose Nylund in "The Golden Girls," which ran from 1985 to 1992. She'd been in TONS of other big hits throughout her life though.
https://www.tmz.com/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #872 on: December 31, 2021, 07:43:24 pm »
If true, it's the end of an era leaving only Keith Richards.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #873 on: December 31, 2021, 07:49:25 pm »
Thanks for all the laughs Betty!

Just watched her the other night in a movies called The Proposal...as always she was very funny..
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #874 on: December 31, 2021, 07:52:59 pm »
New York Post:

Betty White, trailblazing TV star and cultural icon, dead at 99

By Ruth Brown and Nicholas Hautman
December 31, 2021 | 2:09pm

Betty White, the trailblazing television star whose more than eight-decade career saw her go from unforgettable roles on “The Golden Girls” and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” to becoming a cultural icon in her 80s and 90s, has died less than three weeks before her 100th birthday.

Los Angeles Police Department spokesman Mike Lopez told The Post that officers responded to a radio call Friday at about 9:30 a.m. concerning “a natural death investigation” at the 99-year-old’s home in Brentwood, Calif.

Her agent and close friend Jeff Witjas later confirmed the news to People magazine.

“Even though Betty was about to be 100, I thought she would live forever,” Witjas said in a statement.

“I will miss her terribly and so will the animal world that she loved so much. I don’t think Betty ever feared passing because she always wanted to be with her most beloved husband, Allen Ludden. She believed she would be with him again.”

The eight-time Emmy winner had just spoken to People for this week’s issue celebrating what would have been her birthday and said that she was “in such good health.”

“I try to avoid anything green. I think it’s working,” she quipped at the time. ...