Author Topic: Obituaries for 2021  (Read 51173 times)

Online rustynail

Re: Obituaries for 2021
« Reply #825 on: December 09, 2021, 10:59:59 pm »
Melvin Parker, the iconic drummer for James Brown's band, passed away on December 3rd, 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Parker

Online rustynail

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mrclose

« Reply #828 on: December 10, 2021, 08:25:56 pm »
Michael Nesmith of The Monkees, Dies at 78

Michael Nesmith, Singer, Songwriter and Guitarist of The Monkees, Dies at 78

Michael Nesmith, the guitar-playing singer-songwriter with the wool hat who along with Davy Jones, Peter Tork and Micky Dolenz became a TV star and 1960s pop sensation as a member of The Monkees, has died. He was 78.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/michael-nesmith-dead-monkees-1235060806/

A great tune by Nesmith.
(Solo)

I chose his doing the song live, at an older age .. just because! Lol

Joanne

http://youtu.be/9ZiHjmE-5BI

The Studio Original

http://youtu.be/MxALH_3qadg
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 08:28:51 pm by mrclose »
"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Online corbe

« Reply #829 on: December 10, 2021, 09:06:21 pm »
   I didn't know Nesmith wrote this song.

Michael Nesmith - Different Drum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA5scf8RpCI
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #830 on: December 10, 2021, 11:44:49 pm »
Melvin Parker, the iconic drummer for James Brown's band, passed away on December 3rd, 2021

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melvin_Parker

@rustynail

That was a man that lived an interesting and fun life. I hope his death was quick and painless because he helped bring a LOT of joy to the world in his life,while also having a HELL of a lot of fun.

I would have paid cash money to hear some of his stories.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #832 on: December 11, 2021, 01:21:41 am »
@rustynail

Ok,that does it. I am officially a geezer.

Same here.  I liked Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma.  Great album.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #835 on: December 12, 2021, 01:27:49 am »
Is there a reason the death of Senator Dole isn't national news?

BOB DOLE GETS THE LAST LAUGH
Yesterday Bob Dole’s funeral was held at the National Cathedral in Washington. His daughter Robin delivered a eulogy in which she read Dole’s farewell letter to the American people:

Daughter Robin Dole read a quip from her father’s farewell letter to America about vote integrity.

“As I make the final walk on my life’s journey, I do so without fear. Because I know that I will, again, not be walking alone. I know that God will be walking with me,” wrote the 1996 Republican presidential nominee, who died Sunday at age 98.

“I also confess that I’m a bit curious to learn if I am correct in thinking that heaven will look a lot like Kansas and to see, like others who have gone before me, if I will still be able to vote in Chicago.”

More at:https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/12/bob-dole-gets-the-last-laugh.php

« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 01:31:00 am by Slide Rule »
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #836 on: December 12, 2021, 01:52:23 am »
“I also confess that I’m a bit curious to learn if I am correct in thinking that heaven will look a lot like Kansas and to see, like others who have gone before me, if I will still be able to vote in Chicago.”

More at:https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/12/bob-dole-gets-the-last-laugh.php

:laughingdog:
I will NOT comply.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #837 on: December 12, 2021, 03:59:41 pm »
The author Anne Rice passed away on Dec. 11.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #838 on: December 12, 2021, 07:11:08 pm »
The author Anne Rice passed away on Dec. 11.
Anne Rice, who breathed new life into vampires, dies at 80
By JAKE COYLE
49 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Anne Rice, the novelist whose lush, best-selling gothic tales, including “Interview With a Vampire,” reinvented the blood-drinking immortals as tragic antiheroes, has died. She was 80.

Rice died late Saturday due to complications from a stroke, her son Christopher Rice announced on her Facebook page and his Twitter page.

“As a writer, she taught me to defy genre boundaries and surrender to my obsessive passions,” Christopher Rice, also an author, wrote. “In her final hours, I sat beside her hospital bed in awe of her accomplishments and her courage.”

Rice’s 1976 novel “Interview With the Vampire” was later adapted, with a script by Rice, into the 1994 movie directed by Neil Jordan and starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. It’s also set to be adapted again in an upcoming TV series on AMC and AMC+ set to premiere next year.

“Interview With the Vampire,” in which reporter Daniel Molloy interviews Louis de Pointe du Lac, was Rice’s first novel but over the next five decades, she would write more than 30 books and sell more than 150 million copies worldwide.  ... Associated Press
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Kamaji

« Reply #839 on: December 12, 2021, 07:25:09 pm »
Anne Rice, who breathed new life into vampires, dies at 80
By JAKE COYLE
49 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Anne Rice, the novelist whose lush, best-selling gothic tales, including “Interview With a Vampire,” reinvented the blood-drinking immortals as tragic antiheroes, has died. She was 80.

Rice died late Saturday due to complications from a stroke, her son Christopher Rice announced on her Facebook page and his Twitter page.

“As a writer, she taught me to defy genre boundaries and surrender to my obsessive passions,” Christopher Rice, also an author, wrote. “In her final hours, I sat beside her hospital bed in awe of her accomplishments and her courage.”

Rice’s 1976 novel “Interview With the Vampire” was later adapted, with a script by Rice, into the 1994 movie directed by Neil Jordan and starring Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. It’s also set to be adapted again in an upcoming TV series on AMC and AMC+ set to premiere next year.

“Interview With the Vampire,” in which reporter Daniel Molloy interviews Louis de Pointe du Lac, was Rice’s first novel but over the next five decades, she would write more than 30 books and sell more than 150 million copies worldwide.  ... Associated Press

@mountaineer

Thanks!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #840 on: December 19, 2021, 10:45:29 pm »
https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/4304681/il-divo-star-carlos-marin-dies-covid-aged-53-coma/

Il Divo star Carlos Marín dies from Covid aged 53 in Manchester hospital after being put into an induced coma

[snip...]

Marín - who was reportedly vaccinated against coronavirus - was known to be in a serious condition when admitted to the Manchester Royal Hospital on December 8, but his organs were said to be stable, according to El Espanol.

He last posted on Instagram on December 6, in a snap alongside bandmates David Miller, Sébastien Izambard and Urs Bühler.

The foursome had been due to a show in Lisbon and another in La Coruña Spain, which has been postponed until July 15, 2022.

Just days later, they announced a delay to all performances until 2022 down to band "illness" but gave no further details.

In a statement, they said: "Unfortunately, due to illness, the remaining dates for Il Divo’s December 2021 UK tour have been postponed until December 2022.

"Il Divo are deeply sorry to their fans, but look forward to returning to the road in the new year and seeing you all in the run up to next Christmas."

Marín, who lived between Madrid and Mexico, had also been due to perform with his ex-wife Geraldine Larrosa on New Year’s Eve on Spanish state television channel TVE1.

The star and the French-born singer recorded a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody to be aired during a special on Spanish TV.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #841 on: December 20, 2021, 02:55:21 am »
Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA) dies at 76, less than a year after retiring due to Parkinson's disease.

https://www.ajc.com/news/johnny-isakson-xxagexx-georgia-politician-respected-by-both-sides/2PTT7C4LVFDU7EBJQ44577B3SA/
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online mountaineer

« Reply #842 on: December 26, 2021, 12:25:59 pm »
South Africa's Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90
Issued on: 26/12/2021 - 08:09

South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who died Sunday at the age of 90, was the moral compass of his beloved "Rainbow Nation", never afraid to speak truth to power, whatever its creed or colour.
Advertising

A tireless activist, he won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984 for combatting white minority rule in his country.

"The passing of Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu is another chapter of bereavement in our nation's farewell to a generation of outstanding South Africans who have bequeathed us a liberated South Africa," President Cyril Ramaphosa said in a statement.

Famously outspoken, even after the fall of the racist apartheid regime, Tutu never shied away from confronting South Africa's shortcomings or injustices. ...

Tutu believed firmly in the reconciliation of black and white South Africans.

"I am walking on clouds. It is an incredible feeling, like falling in love. We South Africans are going to be the Rainbow People of the world," he said in 1994.

But post-apartheid South Africa increasingly became a source of his despair, as the high hopes of the early days of democracy gave way to disillusionment over violence, inequality and graft.

Never a member of the ANC, Tutu said in 2013 that he would no longer vote for the party, though President Cyril Ramaphosa -- an old friend -- re-built bridges after coming to power in 2018.

Tutu made a rare public appearance in May 2021 to receive his vaccine for Covid-19. He appeared outside of hospital in a wheelchair, and waved but did not speak. ...
More at France24

Ali Velshi
@AliVelshi
Worth noting, as we mark the passing Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, that he was a vocal proponent of divestment - against the apartheid regime, against the illegal occupation of Palestine, and against the fossil fuel industry - as a tool to end injustice.
7:17 AM · Dec 26, 2021
Did his opposition to the fossil fuel industry extend to not using cars or airplanes? Not sure about that.  :pondering:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 12:47:21 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #843 on: December 26, 2021, 01:06:25 pm »

Did his opposition to the fossil fuel industry extend to not using cars or airplanes? Not sure about that.  :pondering:

And the fact he and Mandela's African National Congress had ties and backing by communist parties.

I'll chalk this one to "speak no ill of the dead".  Next
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #844 on: December 26, 2021, 01:27:29 pm »
And the fact he and Mandela's African National Congress had ties and backing by communist parties.

I'll chalk this one to "speak no ill of the dead".  Next
That's the dirty little secret about African politics as a whole. The current head of the WHO is an open member of a similar Communist front party in Ethiopia, which should explain everything about the past couple of years.

Communists found fertile ground in Africa because they're poor, and could convince those poor people that there were rich people elsewhere in the world that they could exploit and they'd be rich. It hasn't really worked out.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

rangerrebew

« Reply #845 on: December 26, 2021, 04:24:57 pm »
Desmond Tutu, an icon who helped end apartheid in South Africa, dies at 90

December 26, 20217:30 AM ET
Heard on Weekend Edition Sunday

Ofeibea Quist-Arcton

Nobel Peace laureate Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, a towering figure who helped bring an end to apartheid in South Africa, has died in Cape Town. He was 90.

His death was announced by South African President Cyril Ramaphosa, who called Tutu "a patriot without equal; a leader of principle and pragmatism who gave meaning to the biblical insight that faith without works is dead." Tutu had been hospitalized several times in recent years.

The passionate advocate for freedom headed the country's Truth and Reconciliation Commission in the 1990s, a grueling inquiry that investigated crimes during the apartheid era. It was widely seen as a crucial healing step during South Africa's transition from apartheid to democracy. The TRC became a model for similar commissions in other parts of the continent.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/26/494373491/desmond-tutu-dies
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 04:25:43 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

« Reply #846 on: December 26, 2021, 04:26:45 pm »
Ta ta, Tutu. :seeya:

Offline Ghost Bear

• Not an actual picture of me
« Reply #847 on: December 26, 2021, 06:10:55 pm »
South Africa's Archbishop Desmond Tutu dies at 90
Issued on: 26/12/2021 - 08:09

South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, who died Sunday at the age of 90,

Somewhat ironically I had a moment of "Mandela Effect" when my wife told me this morning that the Archbishop had died. My immediate response to her was, "I thought he died years ago!". But after searching my memory a bit more, I realized that I simply hadn't heard him spoken about in many years, and just assumed he must have died at some point.
Let it burn.

Offline verga

« Reply #848 on: December 27, 2021, 10:43:47 am »
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fus.macmillan.com%2Fauthor%2Frichardmarcinko&psig=AOvVaw1QRXvvtjY_rluDGFSnlCjV&ust=1640688185917000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=2ahUKEwjlt6v15YP1AhWZEVkFHYHxCmUQjRx6BAgAEAk
On Christmas Eve, 12/24/2021, we lost a true Legend and Hero in the Special Operations Community….
Commander Richard ‘Demo Dick’ Marcinko was a legendary Navy SEAL during the Vietnam War who went on to lead SEAL Team 2.  Following Operation Eagle Claw, the failed attempt to rescue American hostages held in Iran in 1979, he was tasked to create a Navy counterterrorism capability, which he named SEAL Team Six, and he was the unit’s first commander.  He later ran a naval base defense program, unofficially called Red Cell. 
RIP Commander Richard Marcinko….
Fair Winds and Following Seas….

A personal hero of mine.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Kamaji

« Reply #849 on: December 27, 2021, 04:25:14 pm »
Somewhat ironically I had a moment of "Mandela Effect" when my wife told me this morning that the Archbishop had died. My immediate response to her was, "I thought he died years ago!". But after searching my memory a bit more, I realized that I simply hadn't heard him spoken about in many years, and just assumed he must have died at some point.

Same here; I had exactly the same response when I first read about it elsewhere.