Author Topic: Will climate change make animals darker—or lighter?  (Read 376 times)

rangerrebew

Will climate change make animals darker—or lighter?
« on: December 31, 2020, 01:03:32 pm »

Will climate change make animals darker—or lighter?

By Sam KeanDec. 30, 2020 , 11:55 AM

A 19th century claim has fueled a 21st century debate about how a warming climate might reshape animals. Beginning in the early 1800s, biologists identified multiple “rules” describing the ecological and evolutionary impacts of temperature. One rule held that animals have bigger appendages (ears, beaks) in hot climates, to help dissipate body heat. Another said that, within any group of animals, the biggest generally reside closer to the poles—think of polar bears towering over midlatitude brown bears—because larger bodies help retain heat.

And Gloger’s rule, named after German biologist Constantin Gloger, declared that animals in warmer regions usually have darker exteriors, whereas those in cooler regions are lighter. Among mammals, darker skin and hair was thought to protect against damaging ultraviolet light, which is more plentiful in Sun-soaked equatorial areas. Among birds, the specific melanin pigments in darker feathers seem to resist bacterial infestation, an advantage in the Petri dish of the tropics.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/will-climate-change-make-animals-darker-or-lighter

rangerrebew

Re: Will climate change make animals darker—or lighter?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 01:04:57 pm »
I'm more concerned as to whether it will turn their poop darker or lighter!  Honestly, is the best science can do in research? :tongue2:

Online goatprairie

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 07:38:21 pm »
I'm more concerned as to whether it will turn their poop darker or lighter!  Honestly, is the best science can do in research? :tongue2:
Neither. I'm betting the scat will be rainbow colored reflecting the animals desire to go trans-animal or homobestial.  22222frying pan

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 08:09:24 pm »
Red or white, light or dark, who cares as long as they taste good wink777