Author Topic: 1978: Is mankind warming the Earth?  (Read 399 times)

rangerrebew

1978: Is mankind warming the Earth?
« on: December 28, 2020, 03:14:28 pm »

1978: Is mankind warming the Earth?

By William W. Kellogg, December 7, 2020

Editor’s note: This article was originally published in the February 1978  issue of the Bulletin. It is republished here as part of our special issue commemorating the 75th year of the Bulletin.

It is a human tendency to cling to the belief that the natural environment or climate to which we have become accustomed will remain more or less the same from year to year and from decade to decade. We are surprised and alarmed when an unusually severe winter or an unusually prolonged drought occurs, because our “tribal” memories tend to be too short to recall past years when things were equally unusual. Furthermore, the dim history of periods at the dawn of civilization, when it was considerably warmer or colder for thousands of years on end, have not survived at all as a tribal memory. That longer record is still being laboriously reconstructed.

The facts are, of course, that climate everywhere does fluctuate quite noticeably from year to year and that there are gradual changes in climate that make one decade or one century different from the one before. These yearly fluctuations and longer-term changes have been the result of natural processes or external influences at work on the complex system that determines the Earth’s climate. It is a system that seems to strive for an uneasy balance among atmosphere, oceans, land and polar ice masses—all prodded by possible solar and cosmic variations of which climatologists are only dimly aware. It now appears though that we ourselves are becoming another significant factor in the climatic balance.

https://thebulletin.org/premium/2020-12/1978-is-mankind-warming-the-earth/

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: 1978: Is mankind warming the Earth?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 03:18:55 pm »
50 years later and Earth doesn't seem that much warmer. Falls seem a little less brisk then usual.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 07:10:57 pm »
Just think a little over 50 years ago a fear monger, Paul Ehrlich created worldwide fear with his book Population Bomb, if his predictions had come true the current fear mongers wouldn't be able to blame humans for globull warming.

"predicted worldwide famine in the 1970s and 1980s due to overpopulation, as well as other major societal upheavals, and advocated immediate action to limit population growth."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb

There are always those who promote unproven and irresponsible claims in order to promote panic and themselves or by political factions to control the populace. I distinctly recall both Ehrlich preaching worldwide famine and death and the coming ice age scare of the mid 70's. All of these predictions of doom from famine to climate catastrophes, rising oceans, massive volcanic eruptions occurring simultaneously worldwide to world ending asteroids have been recycled for well over a hundred years. The bottom line is that the Earth is gonna do what the Earth is gonna do and we don't have any ability to change what will happen.............outside of science fiction stories.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 09:57:17 pm by GtHawk »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 07:18:24 pm »
Just think a little over 50 years ago a fear monger, John Ehrlich created worldwide fear with his book Population Bomb, if his predictions had come true the current fear mongers wouldn't be able to blame humans for globull warming.

"predicted worldwide famine in the 1970s and 1980s due to overpopulation, as well as other major societal upheavals, and advocated immediate action to limit population growth."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb

There are always those who promote unproven and irresponsible claims in order to promote panic and themselves or by political factions to control the populace. I distinctly recall both Ehrlich preaching worldwide famine and death and the coming ice age scare of the mid 70's. All of these predictions of doom from famine to climate catastrophes, rising oceans, massive volcanic eruptions occurring simultaneously worldwide to world ending asteroids have been recycled for well over a hundred years. The bottom line is that the Earth is gonna do what the Earth is gonna do and we don't have any ability to change what will happen.............outside of science fiction stories.

Paul Ehrich is his name i think.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 07:30:18 pm »
This is the cover from Time Magazine in April 1977.  So called experts were clueless then, and clueless now.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 07:44:56 pm »
Is mankind warming the Earth?

No, but this big yellow thing is:

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 09:41:45 pm »
Paul Ehrich is his name i think.
Dang it you're right, thanks. Now why would I do that when I know better :pondering: I know it was one of those damnable brain farts!