Author Topic: Earth is spinning unusually fast lately. But is that good news?  (Read 508 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Earth is spinning unusually fast lately. But is that good news?
« on: December 28, 2020, 12:48:09 pm »
By Strange Sounds -Dec 26, 2020

We want 2020 to finish as quickly as possible.

And it seems our Earth feels the same way, as it has been spinning unusually fast lately. 2020 included the 28 shortest days since 1960.

Earth rotates at irregular speed

The Earth rotates once every 86,400 seconds – or 24 hours, or one solar day.

But its speed is irregular and the length of a day can vary by milliseconds (1 millisecond equals 0.001 seconds).

The speed of the Earth’s rotation varies constantly because of the complex motion of its molten core, oceans and atmosphere, plus other effects.

Shortest day on record in 2020

Before 2020, the shortest day was July 5, 2005, with an Earth’s rotation lasting 1.0516 milliseconds less than 86,400 seconds.

But on July 19, 2020, the Earth completed its rotation in 1.4602 milliseconds less than 86,400 seconds, beating the previous record.

More: https://strangesounds.org/2020/12/earth-spins-faster.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Earth is spinning unusually fast lately. But is that good news?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 02:31:45 pm »
I was wondering why I feel a bit lighter.  I thought the diet was working. :whistle:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 03:08:42 pm »
I was wondering why I feel a bit lighter.  I thought the diet was working. :whistle:

No, silly, the higher the altitude that you live at, the calories in the food actually start to disappear.  :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 03:23:33 pm »
No, silly, the higher the altitude that you live at, the calories in the food actually start to disappear.  :shrug:

That would explain a lot.  I wondered why I gain weight every time we dine down by the river, but not at the Castle, where's it's 900 feet higher!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 03:27:23 pm »
Whatever acts to shorten this year, I approve of it.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2020, 03:34:34 pm »
So if the world spins faster does that mean we go back in time...a 2020 do over?

Ah hell no..
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2020, 04:04:48 pm »
So if the world spins faster does that mean we go back in time...a 2020 do over?

Ah hell no..

****slapping :chairbang: 22222frying pan 13859 :bash: :knifefight: :BangComp: :MiniGun:

:reaper:
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 04:06:10 pm »
****slapping :chairbang: 22222frying pan 13859 :bash: :knifefight: :BangComp: :MiniGun:

:reaper:

Superman did it....Star Trek did too!

:pondering:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 07:21:34 pm »
Superman did it....Star Trek did too!

:pondering:
Nah, only Superman did it by spinning the Earth backwards :thud: while Kirk slingshot around the sun to gain the extra speed to go back in time *****rollingeyes*****. OMG, couldn't they have spent the money for a competent SciFi author to give a credible story line? If we have to go back to a previous year could it please be something in the 1950's when people still loved God and America, came here to be Americans not leeches?
Please no groundhog year of 2020 with no chance of a good ending.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2020, 08:11:09 pm »
Nah, only Superman did it by spinning the Earth backwards :thud: while Kirk slingshot around the sun to gain the extra speed to go back in time *****rollingeyes*****. OMG, couldn't they have spent the money for a competent SciFi author to give a credible story line? If we have to go back to a previous year could it please be something in the 1950's when people still loved God and America, came here to be Americans not leeches?
Please no groundhog year of 2020 with no chance of a good ending.

I see we have a savant in the house! :seeya: :patriot:

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2020, 09:59:05 pm »

I see we have a savant in the house! :seeya: :patriot:
:beer: :patriot:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2020, 11:08:10 pm »
Andy wrote:
"Whatever acts to shorten this year, I approve of it."

I'd like to agree, but I think that at this time next year, you'll be wishing it was 2020 again... (sigh)