Author Topic: Elderly Texans and those with chronic conditions get priority in next COVID vaccine phase  (Read 211 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Jeremy Blackman Dec. 21, 2020

Elderly Texans and those with chronic conditions get priority in next COVID vaccine phase

State health officials announced Monday that Texans 65 and older and those over 16 who have chronic medical conditions will be next in line to receive COVID-19 vaccines, straying from new federal guidance that recommends targeting those over 75 and essential workers including teachers and public safety employees.

The decision comes after a panel of health experts recommended that the state prioritize people most vulnerable to the disease. More than 70 percent of known COVID deaths in Texas have occurred in people 65 and older, and underlying health conditions such as heart disease and cancer create added health risks, according to the Department of State Health Services.

“This approach ensures that Texans at the most severe risk from COVID-19 can be protected across races and ethnicities and regardless of where they work,” said Imelda Garcia, the department’s associate commissioner for laboratory and infectious disease services, in a statement.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/coronavirus/article/Elderly-Texans-and-those-with-chronic-conditions-15820570.php

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I'm donating mine to someone more in need than I.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline rustynail

It's a trap.