Author Topic: EU court rules authorities can ban kosher and halal slaughter in Belgian region  (Read 231 times)

Online mountaineer

Batya Ungar-Sargon  @bungarsargon
75 years after 70,000 Jews were ethnically cleansed from Belgium and half of them exterminated, Belgium - with the blessing of the EU court - seems willing to relinquish its Jews once again by outlawing the Jewish religion. Europe is regressing.
10:11 AM · Dec 17, 2020
EU court rules authorities can ban kosher and halal slaughter in Belgian region
European Jewish groups decry ruling that okays outlawing the slaughter of animals that haven’t been stunned, say it puts ‘animal welfare above… freedom of religion’
By AFP and TOI staff   
Dec. 17, 2020

The European Court of Justice ruled Thursday that authorities can order that animals be stunned before slaughter in a case that Jewish and Muslim groups warned could curb religious freedom.

The court backed a regulation imposed in the Flemish region of Belgium to ban the slaughter of livestock that have not been stunned, on animal rights grounds.

Illustrative image of a man preparing meat at a kosher slaughterhouse (AP Photo/Mosa'ab Elshamy)

The European Court of Justice ruled Thursday that authorities can order that animals be stunned before slaughter in a case that Jewish and Muslim groups warned could curb religious freedom.

The court backed a regulation imposed in the Flemish region of Belgium to ban the slaughter of livestock that have not been stunned, on animal rights grounds.

“The court concludes that the measures contained in the decree allow a fair balance to be struck between the importance attached to animal welfare and the freedom of Jewish and Muslim believers to manifest their religion,” the ruling said. ...

Thursday’s ruling was swiftly condemned by both Jewish groups and Israel’s government.

The Israeli Foreign Ministry said the decision “signals to the Jewish communities that they aren’t wanted in Europe.”  ...
Full story

Sure, you can still practice your religion. Just become vegetarians. I wonder if the court was hoping they could stick it to the Jews without also having to adversely affect the Muslims at the same time, though.  :pondering:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm gonna take arrows for saying this, but I have no problems with such a ban.
Knock them out first, THEN slaughter them...

muslims or Jews -- makes no difference to me on this issue.
(one of the very very few times I would EVER say that...!)