Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 84822 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #550 on: October 02, 2023, 12:44:19 pm »
Not much of a reader now my eyesight requires glasses.... but reading "John L. Plaster - The Ultimate Sniper_ An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers " now... The fellow knows his stuff, you can gather that by leafing the first few pages.

Kinda funny because I will never be anything but an average shooter with limited mobility at best. But I like reading other's insights in things like this (if nothing else to know what you are up against if things get tough).

@Sighlass

I took Plaster's  place on Recon Team New York in Kontum when I first got there because he went off to the army  sniper school in VN,and the team needed someone to fill in before he got back.

Can't remember when,but at some later date he quit running recon and spent the rest of his tour as a "Covey Rider" that flew around recon teams in trouble,and directed fire support as well as rescue helicopters to them after finding a clearing big enough for a slick to  land in,and directing them to it.

Being a Covey Rider was a pretty complex job and you  would always end up having to keep several "balls juggling in the air at the same time" by dealing with  the team on the ground,the air support flying to their rescue to strafe and drop bombs (some USAF,and some USN) ,as well as any "Bright Light" team activated to come to  their rescue on the ground if they were all wounded.

Sounds like a simple thing,but trust me,it's not.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 12:46:02 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline verga

« Reply #551 on: October 02, 2023, 05:56:02 pm »
Not much of a reader now my eyesight requires glasses.... but reading "John L. Plaster - The Ultimate Sniper_ An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers " now... The fellow knows his stuff, you can gather that by leafing the first few pages.

Kinda funny because I will never be anything but an average shooter with limited mobility at best. But I like reading other's insights in things like this (if nothing else to know what you are up against if things get tough).
@Sighlass Anotehr good one is LOng Range shooting by Ryan Clacker. Her ahs some great YouTube videos as well.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #552 on: October 02, 2023, 06:33:14 pm »
@Sighlass Anotehr good one is LOng Range shooting by Ryan Clacker. Her ahs some great YouTube videos as well.

Thanks, found his YT page... short informative videos.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #553 on: November 06, 2023, 05:21:44 pm »
My bookclub is reading "Demon Copperhead" by Barbara Kingsolver

It's so beautifully written
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #554 on: November 06, 2023, 05:28:50 pm »
Night - Elie Wiesel.

Just thought it was an appropriate time to read it.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Gefn

« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2023, 08:11:28 pm »
Irish writer Paul Lynch wins Booker Prize with dystopian novel ‘Prophet Song’

ONDON (AP) — Irish writer Paul Lynch won the Booker Prize for fiction on Sunday with what judges called a “soul-shattering” novel about a woman’s struggle to protect her family as Ireland collapses into totalitarianism and war.

“Prophet Song,” set in a dystopian fictional version of Dublin, was awarded the 50,000-pound ($63,000) literary prize at a ceremony in London. Canadian writer Esi Edugyan, who chaired the judging panel, said the book is “a triumph of emotional storytelling, bracing and brave” in which Lynch “pulls off feats of language that are stunning to witness.”

Lynch, 46, had been the bookies’ favorite to win the prestigious prize, which usually brings a big boost in sales. His book beat five other finalists from Ireland, the U.K., the U.S. and Canada, chosen from 163 novels submitted by publishers.

https://apnews.com/article/booker-prize-fiction-winner-announced-06e46905a3bdac77966cb3ef4b64ed14

Offline Gefn

« Reply #556 on: November 27, 2023, 08:11:47 pm »
Irish writer Paul Lynch wins Booker Prize with dystopian novel ‘Prophet Song’

https://apnews.com/article/booker-prize-fiction-winner-announced-06e46905a3bdac77966cb3ef4b64ed14

just reserved this one.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #557 on: November 27, 2023, 10:54:34 pm »
Just finished yesterday:
"The Mountain Meadows Massacre", by Juanita Brooks.

Just started today:
"American Crucifixion: The Murder of Joseph Smith and the Fate of the Mormon Church" by Alex Beam.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #558 on: November 28, 2023, 11:24:16 pm »
My bookclub will be reading "The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post" by Alison Pataki.

I am looking forward to this one.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #559 on: November 28, 2023, 11:32:10 pm »
I'm reading John Grisham's "The Rainmaker." After "A Time to Kill," which I thought was pretty darn awful, I swore I'd never read another book by him. However, this one was in the little free library in our town, so what the heck. It's been surprisingly interesting so far, at least from my vantage point as a former lawyer who couldn't wait to leave the profession. Wikipedia says, "The Los Angeles Times called the book 'an indictment of the legal system from law school to the jury’s verdict,'" and maybe that's what appealed (no pun intended) to me.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #560 on: November 29, 2023, 03:50:30 am »
"The Outsiders".  My youngest son has been after me for quite some time to finally read it.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #561 on: November 29, 2023, 02:49:04 pm »
I'm reading John Grisham's "The Rainmaker." After "A Time to Kill," which I thought was pretty darn awful, I swore I'd never read another book by him. However, this one was in the little free library in our town, so what the heck. It's been surprisingly interesting so far, at least from my vantage point as a former lawyer who couldn't wait to leave the profession. Wikipedia says, "The Los Angeles Times called the book 'an indictment of the legal system from law school to the jury’s verdict,'" and maybe that's what appealed (no pun intended) to me.

I read "The Rainmaker" when it first came out and liked it for the exact same reason @mountaineer It has since been made into a movie which I also enjoyed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rainmaker_(1997_film)
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online mountaineer

« Reply #562 on: December 12, 2023, 01:48:23 pm »
Just finished The Death of Innocents: A True Story of Murder, Medicine, and High-Stake Science by Richard Firstman and Jamie Talan. It's a very well-researched account of how a New York woman almost got away with killing her five babies by blaming the deaths on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. The book goes into all of the medical research of the time and the near-hysteria of the 1980s about SIDS, and how dishonest scientists nearly let a woman get away with murder.
On July 28, 1971, a two-and-a-half-month-old baby named Noah Hoyt died in his trailer home in a rural hamlet of upstate New York. He was the fifth child of Waneta and Tim Hoyt to die suddenly in the space of seven years. People certainly talked, but Waneta spoke vaguely of "crib death," and over time the talk faded.

Nearly two decades later a district attorney in Syracuse, New York, was alerted to a landmark paper in the literature on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome--SIDS--that had been published in a prestigious medical journal back in 1972. Written by a prominent researcher at a Syracuse medical center, the article described a family in which five children had died suddenly without explanation. The D.A. was convinced that something about this account was very wrong. An intensive quest by a team of investigators came to a climax in the spring of 1995, in a dramatic multiple-murder trial that made headlines nationwide.

But this book is not only a vivid account of infanticide revealed; it is also a riveting medical detective story. That journal article had legitimized the deaths of the last two babies by theorizing a cause for the mystery of SIDS, suggesting it could be predicted and prevented, and fostering the presumption that SIDS runs in families. More than two decades of multimillion-dollar studies have failed to confirm any of these widely accepted premises. How all this happened--could have happened--is a compelling story of high-stakes medical research in action.
Amazon

Very interesting.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #563 on: December 13, 2023, 01:08:20 am »
Reading now:
Witness to the Martyrdom John Taylor's Personal Account of the Last Days of the Prophet Joseph Smith by Mark H. Taylor (J. Taylor's great-great grandson)

John Taylor (along with Willard Richards) was in the jail with the Smiths when the mob attacked them on 6.27.1844. Taylor was shot about 5 times, and underwent two surgeries without anesthesia to extract bullets. He went on to serve as president of the Church after Brigham Young's death.

What really surprised me was to find out that Taylor actually wrote his recollections while at a house in Westport, Connecticut, of all places...!

Offline libertybele

« Reply #564 on: January 06, 2024, 11:02:23 pm »
"The Outsiders".  My youngest son has been after me for quite some time to finally read it.

Interesting ... that was one of my son's favorite books. I had to look up the first paragraph to make sure....

"When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkness of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul Newman and a ride home. I was wishing I looked like Paul Newman – he looks tough and I don't – but I guess my own looks aren't so bad. I have light- brown, almost- red hair and greenish- gray eyes."
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #565 on: January 06, 2024, 11:04:12 pm »
I just started to read "Fox Creek" by William Kent Krueger.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #566 on: January 06, 2024, 11:07:10 pm »
My bookclub is reading "Demon Copperhead" by Barbara Kingsolver

It's so beautifully written

@Gefn -- how did you like it?  I had my hand on it at the library and put it back -- if it's worth the read, I'll reserve it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #567 on: January 06, 2024, 11:53:51 pm »
Tom Clancy,"The Bear and the Dragon".

All ,one thousand twenty-eight pages of it.

Really good book,but don't plan on reading it in one setting.

Offline verga

« Reply #568 on: January 07, 2024, 03:32:48 pm »
Tom Clancy,"The Bear and the Dragon".

All ,one thousand twenty-eight pages of it.

Really good book,but don't plan on reading it in one setting.
Loved that book, Actuall loved all of his fiction, never read any of the non-fiction.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #569 on: January 07, 2024, 05:10:43 pm »
@Gefn -- how did you like it?  I had my hand on it at the library and put it back -- if it's worth the read, I'll reserve it.

@libertybele

It's one of those books where you either love it or dislike it. It's beautifully written and I enjoyed it but I wasn't head over heels about it. But it was a good read and the author writes beautifully.

If it's a library book you can always put it back if you can't get into it after 50 pages or so.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #570 on: January 07, 2024, 05:15:12 pm »

@libertybele

It's one of those books where you either love it or dislike it. It's beautifully written and I enjoyed it but I wasn't head over heels about it. But it was a good read and the author writes beautifully.

If it's a library book you can always put it back if you can't get into it after 50 pages or so.

Ok, thanks @Gefn Next trip to the library, I'll see if it's available.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #571 on: January 07, 2024, 09:26:10 pm »
Loved that book, Actuall loved all of his fiction, never read any of the non-fiction.

@verga

I have read a lot of his books over the years,and had no idea he ever wrote any non-fiction books.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #572 on: February 22, 2024, 09:59:28 am »
Regarding Tom Clancy, I would say my favorite of the books published post his death(Oct 2013) is Command Authority, which I thought was very timely, considering it is about Russia attacking Ukraine.  It came out years before the attack as I recall.  Some of his best post mortem work...LOL.

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #573 on: February 22, 2024, 10:57:06 pm »
Just finished a few days' back, my nomination for best book of 2024:

As "appropos as it gets", considering the events of the last six months...

I recommend it to every member of the forum.
Even SneakyPete will be squirming in his seat reading this one.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #574 on: February 23, 2024, 01:01:11 am »
I like Kurt's fiction, and I am finishing soon with a nonfiction book, We'll Be Back, the Fall and Rise of America.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: