Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 85190 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #525 on: August 18, 2023, 09:46:08 pm »
Whew! I thought it was just me. I'm trying to read more classics, but this is one of the strangest I've attempted.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #526 on: August 18, 2023, 09:56:53 pm »
If anyone has trouble falling asleep I would highly recommend The Golden Bough: A Study in Comparative Religion by James Frazer.

A few minutes of that and your brain simply shuts off.

I just finished a 15 book series space opera and on the second book of another series. Four or six books. They are like watching a tv series. I try to read 300+ pages a day
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #527 on: August 18, 2023, 10:05:55 pm »
RE the posts about Moby Dick above...

I never read it. I did watch the movie, though.
But... told you that to tell you this:

If the theme of Moby Dick interests you, you might find it MUCH more enjoyable to read the story of the ship that really was attacked by a whale, and the incredible story of survival by those who sailed away from the wreckage. This was Melville's inspiration behind his novel.

One is called "In The Heart of the Sea - The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex" by Nathaniel Philbrick.

Another is "Wreck of the Whale Ship Essex The Complete Illustrated Edition", which contains excerpts from one of the actual survivors, First Mate Owen Chase.

Both can be found at the "z-lib" site on "the dark net" (you need Tor browser to get there): "zlibrary24tuxziyiyfr7zd46ytefdqbqd2axkmxm4o5374ptpc52fad.onion"

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #528 on: August 18, 2023, 11:07:39 pm »
I'm still halfway through "Our Friend the Beaver."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #529 on: August 19, 2023, 01:34:14 am »
Whew! I thought it was just me. I'm trying to read more classics, but this is one of the strangest I've attempted.

He's a lot like Tolkien... Big dry spots between action shots... but worth it if you grind on through... There's a reason it is considered a classic.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #530 on: August 19, 2023, 02:00:10 am »
I'm clawing my way through "Moby Dick." Anyone else find it difficult? It's such a very strange book.

It was a bit of a slog for me, too.  It's been many years, though. 
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Kamaji

« Reply #531 on: August 19, 2023, 04:14:29 pm »
Reading some old Isaac Asimov.  I finished the first three Foundation novels, and am reading Caves of Steel right now.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #532 on: August 19, 2023, 04:24:01 pm »
 :thumbsup:
Reading some old Isaac Asimov.  I finished the first three Foundation novels, and am reading Caves of Steel right now.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline verga

« Reply #533 on: August 21, 2023, 11:22:45 pm »
Finally finished Anna Karenina.Great book, but twice as long as it needed to be.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #534 on: August 22, 2023, 03:42:13 am »
Finally finished Anna Karenina.Great book, but twice as long as it needed to be.

It's one of the most beautiful books ever written. I learned a lot about writing from that book, from Tolstoy's vivid descriptions and Levin's courting of Kitty.

Offline verga

« Reply #535 on: August 22, 2023, 01:44:21 pm »

It's one of the most beautiful books ever written. I learned a lot about writing from that book, from Tolstoy's vivid descriptions and Levin's courting of Kitty.
Levin was the only Character OI had any empathy for. The last 100 or so pages with Anna was a prefect description of a descent into madness.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #536 on: September 01, 2023, 05:15:11 pm »
Went through a dry spell for a period, not reading much of anything.  We bought a 2nd home, and three times I traveled to the house to have Internet installed.  Nothing to do, I started reading again.  Cranked out two books right off.  Still had time left, so I went to a used bookstore.

Saw a book on the shelf with the name Brad visible and the first letter of the last name, a T showing, and I assumed it was Brad Thor.  It was a title by him I did not read, so I grabbed it and took it home.  Upon getting home, I discovered it was not Brad Thor being the author, but Brad Taylor.  The title was American Traitor.  Read the book like a hot knife through butter, and ordered up his first four books.  Also read One Rough Man, and I equally enjoyed it.  One Rough Man was his first book.

Both books are similar to Clancy books written in recent years, subsequent to his death in 2013.  I intend to read all of Brad Taylor's books in the next few months.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #537 on: September 01, 2023, 06:08:00 pm »

Both books are similar to Clancy books written in recent years, subsequent to his death in 2013.  I intend to read all of Brad Taylor's books in the next few months.

@jafo2010

Thanks for the tip. I will be looking  for used versions for sale on the web this afternoon.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

« Reply #538 on: September 01, 2023, 07:02:20 pm »
Just finished "The Night Watchman" by Louise Erdich for my bookclub

Online libertybele

« Reply #539 on: September 01, 2023, 08:09:45 pm »
I finished up Ann Nepolitano's  "Beautiful You" it was very good and I can see why it was on the NY Times best seller's list, and I did enjoy it, but for me the ending was weak and disappointing.  None of her other books were available at the library.  So, I am now starting to read "Homestead" by Melinda Moustakis.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #540 on: September 01, 2023, 08:59:04 pm »
Went through a dry spell for a period, not reading much of anything.  We bought a 2nd home, and three times I traveled to the house to have Internet installed.  Nothing to do, I started reading again.  Cranked out two books right off.  Still had time left, so I went to a used bookstore.

Saw a book on the shelf with the name Brad visible and the first letter of the last name, a T showing, and I assumed it was Brad Thor.  It was a title by him I did not read, so I grabbed it and took it home.  Upon getting home, I discovered it was not Brad Thor being the author, but Brad Taylor.  The title was American Traitor.  Read the book like a hot knife through butter, and ordered up his first four books.  Also read One Rough Man, and I equally enjoyed it.  One Rough Man was his first book.

Just got a copy of One Rough Man on my Kindle. Looks good!  Thanks for the tip! @jafo2010
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #541 on: September 01, 2023, 09:44:39 pm »
Just finished:
"The Revolt Against Civilization - The Menace of the Under-Man" by Lothrop Stoddard (written in 1921).

Just started:
"Mutiny On The Globe - The Fatal Voyage of Samuel Comstock" by Samuel Heffernan.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #542 on: September 27, 2023, 12:53:21 pm »
"Until the Final Hours," the memoirs of one of Hitler's personal secretaries, Traude Junge. As noted on the flyleaf, it depicts the utter banality of evil - daily life in the Wolf's Lair, the Berghof and the Berlin bunker. I really couldn't put it down. The footnotes provide so much information about each of the characters, from Goebbels to Hitler's cooks, who made him creamed potatoes and eggs every single day.

It was one of the books on which the movie "Downfall" was based (including the famous "Steiner" scene that's been used for so many parodies and memes).

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #543 on: September 27, 2023, 05:58:25 pm »
"Until the Final Hours," the memoirs of one of Hitler's personal secretaries, Traude Junge. As noted on the flyleaf, it depicts the utter banality of evil - daily life in the Wolf's Lair, the Berghof and the Berlin bunker. I really couldn't put it down. The footnotes provide so much information about each of the characters, from Goebbels to Hitler's cooks, who made him creamed potatoes and eggs every single day.

It was one of the books on which the movie "Downfall" was based (including the famous "Steiner" scene that's been used for so many parodies and memes).

That sounds interesting. We visited the Wolf’s Lair when we were in Poland. What a contrast - such a beautiful, serene location with such a horrible past.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Gefn

« Reply #544 on: September 27, 2023, 06:15:49 pm »
Just finished “The Light in Luna Park” for bookclub. It’s about the babies that were put in incubators back in the 1920’s as a side show in Coney Island.

70% of the babies survived- they were a minimum of two pounds when they were born. Small miracles considering it was 100 years ago

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #545 on: September 27, 2023, 06:26:13 pm »
Just finished “The Light in Luna Park” for bookclub. It’s about the babies that were put in incubators back in the 1920’s as a side show in Coney Island.

70% of the babies survived- they were a minimum of two pounds when they were born.
  Small miracles considering it was 100 years ago

@Gefn

I have trouble finding a way to wrap my  mind around that and not want to hurt somebody.

I have no problem with  adults being featured in freak shows,if that is what they want to do,but I have a huge problem with babies in a freak show,and an even bigger problem with  parents who  would sell their babies to a circus freak show.

WTH is wrong with these people?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Gefn

« Reply #546 on: September 27, 2023, 07:25:33 pm »
@Gefn

I have trouble finding a way to wrap my  mind around that and not want to hurt somebody.

I have no problem with  adults being featured in freak shows,if that is what they want to do,but I have a huge problem with babies in a freak show,and an even bigger problem with  parents who  would sell their babies to a circus freak show.

WTH is wrong with these people?
@sneakypete

I had issues with it too. But it was during the time between 1903-WWII. And as it was explained in the book, the babies were born at 2 lbs and not expected to live. So the parents actually wanted their babies to live, they did it. The babies left after they got to be 6 lbs or larger. Incubators were new technology, and people wanted to see how they worked.

I guess parents would do anything to save their children.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #547 on: September 27, 2023, 08:22:22 pm »
That sounds interesting. We visited the Wolf’s Lair when we were in Poland. What a contrast - such a beautiful, serene location with such a horrible past.
It really was. Having visited, you'd probably appreciate her detailed description of the area. We've been to Kehlstein Haus near Berchtesgaden, up the mountain from where the Berghof was, so her descriptions of that place were particularly interesting.

Online libertybele

« Reply #548 on: October 01, 2023, 09:20:51 pm »
I just started to read "Identity" by Nora Roberts.  First time I've read any of her numerous books. So far, so good. 

I tried to finish "Homestead" but it didn't keep my interest so back to the library it went.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #549 on: October 02, 2023, 06:21:35 am »
Not much of a reader now my eyesight requires glasses.... but reading "John L. Plaster - The Ultimate Sniper_ An Advanced Training Manual for Military and Police Snipers " now... The fellow knows his stuff, you can gather that by leafing the first few pages.

Kinda funny because I will never be anything but an average shooter with limited mobility at best. But I like reading other's insights in things like this (if nothing else to know what you are up against if things get tough).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....