Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 84704 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #500 on: July 31, 2023, 10:46:34 pm »
@Fishrrman

Ok,the Kindle I bought just came  in today,and  I am going nuts trying to figure out  what my "password for my internet provider/service" is. Tried everything in my saved files about wi-fi connections,and nothing works.

Look on your WiFi router. There should be a WiFi security key on the label. @sneakypete
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #501 on: July 31, 2023, 11:07:18 pm »
@Fishrrman

Ok,the Kindle I bought just came  in today,and  I am going nuts trying to figure out  what my "password for my internet provider/service" is. Tried everything in my saved files about wi-fi connections,and nothing works.

It's just trying to get online and can't find your router, or your router won't recognize it. Should be a password on the bottom of your router...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #502 on: July 31, 2023, 11:07:35 pm »
Look on your WiFi router. There should be a WiFi security key on the label. @sneakypete

YEP

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #503 on: August 02, 2023, 04:36:45 am »
Currently reading "They Fought Back", an anthology of stores of Jewish resistance against the Germans in WWII.

I had to buy this as a paperback book (from abebooks), couldn't scrounge up a digital version.

After reading digital books almost exclusively for the last few years, I've come to a realization:
E-books and a good laptop computer (or possibly an iPad or Android tablet) make for a far BETTER reading experience.

Some of the advantages of e-reading:
- No more fighting for light (the pages are backlit)
- No fighting to keep the book open (the screen is open in front of you, using a laptop, very relaxing)
- No squinting at small text that you can't change (with an e-book, you make the text however large or small as you wish)
- As easy, or easier, to "keep your place" (bookmarks, etc.)
- Saving an excerpt is as easy and copy and paste (impossible with bound book, just copy and paste with an e-book)
- Illustrations can often be enlarged (try that with a bound book)

If you've got a laptop, you owe it to yourself to try this.
Use the free software called "Calibre" -- it can read "epub" and "mobi" formats (mobi is "Kindle" format).
On the Mac, the "Books" app can also read these, but I find Calibre to be better.

Scrounge up an ebook (in both formats) from anywhere you can find one.
I'd suggest at "the internet archive".
Then give it a try.

I'll read the analog/physical book I have now, because that was the only option available.

But in the future... if it's available in digital format... don't bother me with a bound book. I've found the better way.
I have Calibre and Kindle on the laptop, and an old Kindle Fire I drag around and use from time to time (especially good on a plane).

But, despite the convenience and the ease of reading a backlit screen, there is nothing quite like opening an old volume and turning the pages.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #504 on: August 02, 2023, 06:22:43 am »
I have Calibre and Kindle on the laptop, and an old Kindle Fire I drag around and use from time to time (especially good on a plane).

But, despite the convenience and the ease of reading a backlit screen, there is nothing quite like opening an old volume and turning the pages.

@Smokin Joe

Yeah,I'm with ya on that one!

Still,I bought a Kindle from Amazon because it cuts down on the number of books I have laying around all over the house,and I can read books on it during a power outage. Plus,it is easier to carry around in my coveralls than a book.

Providing,of course,that I can figure out how to hook it up with  Amazon. Used to know how,but not anymore.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: What are you reading right now? Dean Kootz: Dark Rivers of the Heart
« Reply #505 on: August 02, 2023, 06:07:38 pm »
Ok,the first thing you need to focus on is this book was published in 1994.

It almost seems like Koontz is a prophet that had inside knowledge as to the long-term plans of Our Globalist Masters.

Below is an afterword located in the very back of the book,after the story ends. Any typos are my own.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AFTERWORD:

No first Deputy attorney General of the United States exists. I created Thomas Summerton's in order not to embarrass any  particular federal appointee.

The high-tech surveillance techniques in this story are real,not fictional. Enhancement of a highly magnified image shot from orbit would take longer than I allow for,but technology is swiftly  catching with fiction in that regard as well.

The technology  exists to create a nuclear-powered laser weapon and to place it in orbit. It is purely speculation,however,that any  world power has developed and deployed anything like Godzilla.

The manipulation of data and the invasions of computer systems depicted in this story  are all possible. For readability,however,I have simplified the technical details.

The asset forfeiture laws under which Harris Descoteaux suffers are real. They are increasingly  used against law-abiding citizens. For purposes of this story,slight liberties were taken in the manner in which the law applied and the pace at which  his disaster unfolded. A recent decision by the Supreme Court,requiring a hearing prior to property  seizure,is inadequate protection protection in a democracy. The hearing  will take place before a judge who,if past practice is an indicator,will favor the government. Worse,there is still no  requirement that proof be provided against the property owner or that he be charged with the commission of a crime.

The Branch Davidion Compound  in Waco,Texas,was a real place. It is fact that David Koresh regularly left the compound and could have been arrested in a conventional manner. Following the federal assault,cult members were found to have been armed,per capita,only half as heavily as the Texas population in general. It is also fact that before the assault,Texas Child Protective Services investigated claims of child abuse in the cult and found them baseless. However,it is speculation that the government hoped to use the Davidians as a test case to apply asset-forfeiture laws to religious  groups.

He  goes on to discuss the Randy Weaver case and similar cases.

Yeah,I DO strongly recommend you read the book,both  because it is a VERY enjoyable read,and because in his own  way,he is getting the word out to the general public that our government needs to be closely watched.

I don't know about you,but to ME,it seems both rare and notable that a prominent author is willing to risk his career by writing fictional books based on reality,and then highlighting the fact that is what he did.

People like him who are both famous and prolific authors have a HUGE audience they reach that generally speaking,does NOT have a ingrained political POV about anything. Books like this can help  turn that around.

Did I mention that like all his other books,it is a  VERY good read?

BTW,there was also a movie made based on this book,then it became a tv series about the book. Nothing has happened in the last several years,so it looks like it's not going to happen.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 06:18:43 pm by sneakypete »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #506 on: August 02, 2023, 08:39:06 pm »
I don't have anything against it, per se.  I just have a genetic hearing-loss condition and it's easier to read than to try to watch/understand a show on TV when I miss half the dialogue.  I did binge-watch Downton Abbey a couple of years ago on Netflix (or maybe it was Amazon Prime?) where I could turn on the closed captions without driving anyone else crazy, though.  That was fun.

@Polly Ticks

Two words,"Closed Captions". I would be lost without them. I turn the volume up as high as it will go,and seeing the words helps me to instantly read and comprehend them.

Yeah,I CAN hear the words with the volume turned up all the way,but I can barely hear them well enough to understand them. The captions really help a lot.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #507 on: August 02, 2023, 08:55:14 pm »
I'm old fashioned.  I make a trip to the library and it's a free read.  I'm into what I call fiction escape books and right now I'm reading "The Whittiers" by Danielle Steel.  A simple read and usually a predictable ending, but nonetheless, I enjoy her books.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline berdie

« Reply #508 on: August 02, 2023, 10:27:27 pm »
I'm old fashioned.  I make a trip to the library and it's a free read.  I'm into what I call fiction escape books and right now I'm reading "The Whittiers" by Danielle Steel.  A simple read and usually a predictable ending, but nonetheless, I enjoy her books.

I agree, @libertybele . Reading is an escape. I tend to reread the classics, even though I know how they end. Right now, I'm rereading Gone With The Wind for the umpteenth time. I just finished rereading Wuthering Heights.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #509 on: August 02, 2023, 10:40:14 pm »
I'm old fashioned.  I make a trip to the library and it's a free read.
I love our local library, even if it doesn't have all the books I seek. We made a provision in our wills for it. They do the best they can in a small town with a limited budget.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #510 on: August 02, 2023, 10:53:00 pm »
I love our local library, even if it doesn't have all the books I seek. We made a provision in our wills for it. They do the best they can in a small town with a limited budget.

I've always loved going to the library, especially as a kid.  I used to sit under a tree on a blanket and read during the summer months.  I used to read several books a week, sometimes I'd finish a book in a day.  I still enjoy the library.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #511 on: August 02, 2023, 10:54:09 pm »

I agree, @libertybele . Reading is an escape. I tend to reread the classics, even though I know how they end. Right now, I'm rereading Gone With The Wind for the umpteenth time. I just finished rereading Wuthering Heights.

I have a bookshelf full of books and I'm thinking of re-reading some of my favorites.

I've not read Wuthering Heights -- I'll have to check into it.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #512 on: August 03, 2023, 09:04:32 am »
I have a bookshelf full of books and I'm thinking of re-reading some of my favorites.

I've not read Wuthering Heights -- I'll have to check into it.

Ah, Heathcliff and Catherine on the moors.......❤️❤️❤️
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

« Reply #513 on: August 03, 2023, 09:09:55 am »
Just started a  work of non fiction last week, pretty much can't put it down.

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot. It's from 2010 but it's pretty timeless. It's about how "immortal" human cells are grown in culture.

Offline yodaspock

« Reply #514 on: August 03, 2023, 11:11:57 am »
Dark Future by Glenn Beck

And the  future is truly black if his prediction come true!

Offline corbe

« Reply #515 on: August 12, 2023, 03:33:10 pm »
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #516 on: August 15, 2023, 07:40:24 pm »
I just finished the latest by Dean Koontz, "After Death." This passage on page 366 struck me as being particularly timely:
Because the wicked often have a charisma that the naive view as godliness, rather than demonic suasion, some miscreants for a time raise mass movements in their defense. ... Of the naive who join those crusades, most fall away when the see they have been duped, and only the most self-blinded cling to their faith in their faithless manipulators."

Offline libertybele

« Reply #517 on: August 15, 2023, 07:56:49 pm »
Dark Future by Glenn Beck

And the  future is truly black if his prediction come true!

Well, Beck's predictions are pretty darn accurate.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #518 on: August 15, 2023, 08:46:13 pm »
This forum?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #519 on: August 18, 2023, 08:41:25 pm »
I'm clawing my way through "Moby Dick." Anyone else find it difficult? It's such a very strange book.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #520 on: August 18, 2023, 08:55:12 pm »
I just started reading "Hello Beautiful" by Ann Napolitano.  I'm into Chapter 2 and I'm not quite sure that it's going to hold my interest.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #521 on: August 18, 2023, 09:04:19 pm »
I'm clawing my way through "Moby Dick." Anyone else find it difficult? It's such a very strange book.

I could never get through it even with a REALLY good professor who did his PHD on Melville. @mountaineer
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 09:05:26 pm by Gefn »

Offline Gefn

« Reply #522 on: August 18, 2023, 09:06:12 pm »
I'm reading a book on astronomy/astrophysics by Brian Greene for my Cosmology class

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #523 on: August 18, 2023, 09:09:49 pm »

Yes, it was brutal.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #524 on: August 18, 2023, 09:14:26 pm »

I actually tried to read that a few years ago. A little dry for my tastes.