Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 84633 times)

Offline rustynail

Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #325 on: August 30, 2021, 11:22:21 pm »
George Klass remembers..ALTERED COUPE/SEDANS & COMPETITION COUPE/SEDANS

http://georgeklass.net/altereds.html

BassWrangler

« Reply #326 on: September 05, 2021, 08:23:50 am »
"The Split (Kelly Turnbull Book 6)" by Kurt Schlichter.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #327 on: September 05, 2021, 09:30:32 am »
“The Viking Heart” by Arthur Herman.

Good history book, even though the title makes you think of a book in the Romance genre
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #328 on: September 05, 2021, 02:26:27 pm »
Just finished a WEB Griffin Brotherhood of War book that I somehow missed when I read the series about the USMC.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #329 on: November 01, 2021, 07:33:09 am »
Lee Child just came out with a new book this past week.  I need a good dose of Jack Reacher about now!

Has anyone read any books by Jeff Abbott?  New name for me, but I will most likely begin reading him soon.  If you have read him, do you have preferences in his series?

Offline verga

« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2021, 01:40:59 pm »
Just watched "Dune" going to pick up a couple of copies of the series from Amazon
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #331 on: November 01, 2021, 01:41:27 pm »
Just finished "Atlas Shrugged." Resting my brain for a few days.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #332 on: December 01, 2021, 10:17:57 am »
Funny, I haven't picked up a book for a month or so.  Working, tired at the end of the day, etc.  Not like me to go so long without reading, but I just haven't had the energy.

Offline verga

« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2021, 12:24:36 pm »
Just got James Golden's "Rush on the Radio" yesterday.
I am in the middle of "The Devil's Sea" by Dirk Cussler. He took the series over from his father. So far it is a pretty good read.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2021, 01:03:34 pm »
Just starting “The Dying Citizen” by Victor Davis Hanson.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #335 on: December 01, 2021, 10:54:16 pm »
Currently reading "Things Will Never Be the Same: A Howard Waldrop Reader".

A collection of science-fiction short stories.
It's ok...

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2021, 04:30:07 am »
Any of you ever read/subscribe to "Issac Asimov's Science Fiction and Fact" magazine?

Offline verga

« Reply #337 on: December 07, 2021, 12:58:50 pm »
Any of you ever read/subscribe to "Issac Asimov's Science Fiction and Fact" magazine?
I read it years (20+) ago. I thought the quality went down a little after he passed.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #338 on: December 07, 2021, 03:21:22 pm »
I read it years (20+) ago. I thought the quality went down a little after he passed.

@verga

I am embarrassed to admit I subscribed to their digital version,and then never got around to downloading any issues to my Kindle.

Mostly because I never use the Kindle. I am a geezer,and love the smell and feel of actual books/magazines.

Offline godblessRonaldReagan

• It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2021, 03:49:38 pm »
I'm halfway through the first (of 3) volumes of Steven Ambrose's biography of Richard Nixon. Immense amount of detail and very readable even though you can tell Ambrose does not care for Nixon.

Also working through The Federalist Papers In Modern Language. How we have gone astray!!!
I, for one, welcome our feline overlords

Offline verga

« Reply #340 on: December 08, 2021, 12:03:47 am »
@verga

I am embarrassed to admit I subscribed to their digital version,and then never got around to downloading any issues to my Kindle.

Mostly because I never use the Kindle. I am a geezer,and love the smell and feel of actual books/magazines.
I agree, there is just something about the feel and smell of a book. The Kindle is nice and portable for a hundred books or so, but you just can't beat a book.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #341 on: December 08, 2021, 12:34:37 am »
I agree, there is just something about the feel and smell of a book. The Kindle is nice and portable for a hundred books or so, but you just can't beat a book.

I am that way... My Biblical library has all been converted to electronic, and I like it for the searching capability... All I need is to recall a partial phrase and I can search my whole library for instances -  such a convenience, and so good for discovery - I have found things that I never had a chance of finding searching old skool books. And I love that I can adjust font and type - I never have to find my danged ol glasses.

But that is for study. For readings sake, for pleasure, I need the smell and feel... I need to turn the page.  :beer:
« Last Edit: December 08, 2021, 12:35:48 am by roamer_1 »

Online libertybele

« Reply #342 on: December 08, 2021, 12:50:04 am »
I'm all for turning pages as well.  I haven't had a chance to read in awhile (that and my neck and shoulders crink up  :crying:)
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #343 on: December 08, 2021, 02:07:01 am »
Not since the 70s.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #344 on: December 08, 2021, 12:15:59 pm »
I am that way... My Biblical library has all been converted to electronic, and I like it for the searching capability... All I need is to recall a partial phrase and I can search my whole library for instances -  such a convenience, and so good for discovery - I have found things that I never had a chance of finding searching old skool books. And I love that I can adjust font and type - I never have to find my danged ol glasses.

But that is for study. For readings sake, for pleasure, I need the smell and feel... I need to turn the page.  :beer:
I don't know if you are familiar with "CCEL" Christian Classic Ethereal Library. They have been converting the writings of the great thinkers to digital. They are faithful translations from the original text of some of the greatest theological literature of history.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #345 on: December 08, 2021, 03:22:14 pm »
I don't know if you are familiar with "CCEL" Christian Classic Ethereal Library. They have been converting the writings of the great thinkers to digital. They are faithful translations from the original text of some of the greatest theological literature of history.

Yes, I am familiar... Albeit that I only know of the online resource... If they have software I am unaware. A good site, nonetheless, and it is in my bookmarks.  :beer:

Offline verga

« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2021, 12:37:40 pm »
Yes, I am familiar... Albeit that I only know of the online resource... If they have software I am unaware. A good site, nonetheless, and it is in my bookmarks.  :beer:
I purchased a CD from them years(20+) ago. IO just checked the site, but did not see that it was still available.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #347 on: December 18, 2021, 05:15:51 pm »
For some reason Carlos Castaneda's books popped in my head the other day(must of been a flashback). And I found there's a book of his I haven't read. I'll get a copy tomorrow, "The Wheel Of Time: The Shamans Of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death And The Universe"

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #348 on: December 18, 2021, 10:59:57 pm »
Currently reading "Survivors: A Novel of the Coming Collapse" by James Wesley Rawles, about people struggling to keep going after a massive economic collapse.

It was published in 2011, but reads like it could be describing events today.

More here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots_(novel_series)#Survivors:_A_Novel_of_the_Coming_Collapse

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #349 on: February 20, 2022, 07:56:17 pm »
I just finished "The Escape," by David Baldacci. It's about an Air Force Major, framed and wrongfully convicted of espionage. He escapes from the maximum security prison at Leavenworth when someone sends in an assassin to kill him. Couldn't put it down, but it takes a rather frightening look at all of the gazillion competing intelligence agencies in the U.S. government and just how bloated, redundant and possibly corrupt they are. Pretty scary stuff, but a good book. Now I have to go back and find the two previous books in this 4-book series.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org