Author Topic: What are you reading right now?  (Read 84593 times)

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
Re: What are you reading right now?
« Reply #300 on: August 04, 2021, 05:50:03 am »
Just finished Daniel Silva's first book, The Unlikely Spy.  First 75 pages jump back and forth in time, which I thought could have been edited better.  But I thought it was a good spy flick.  Well worth reading.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #301 on: August 04, 2021, 10:11:13 am »
“Becoming Trader Joe”, by Joe Coulombe

The man who started the grocery store chain Trader Joe’s describes how he did it. I’m liking it because I enjoy shopping at TJ’s, but I’d recommend it for anyone who is in business school as well.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #302 on: August 04, 2021, 01:22:54 pm »
“Becoming Trader Joe”, by Joe Coulombe

The man who started the grocery store chain Trader Joe’s describes how he did it. I’m liking it because I enjoy shopping at TJ’s, but I’d recommend it for anyone who is in business school as well.

Nearest one to me is a 4-hour drive.   :shrug: 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #303 on: August 04, 2021, 03:50:23 pm »
W.E.B Griffin,"The Enemy of My Enemy".

BIG W.E.B Griffin fan.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline thackney

« Reply #304 on: August 04, 2021, 05:18:08 pm »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #305 on: August 04, 2021, 06:19:00 pm »
Since I am growing weed this summer
Pot Farm by Matthew Frank      It's about a guy who worked on a farm growing medical marijuana.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #306 on: August 05, 2021, 06:11:44 am »
Nearest one to me is a 4-hour drive.   :shrug:
That's close. My nearest is over 600 miles away. I think the ice cream might melt on the way home... :shrug:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Gefn

« Reply #307 on: August 05, 2021, 10:19:42 am »
That's close. My nearest is over 600 miles away. I think the ice cream might melt on the way home... :shrug:

Their ice cream is the bomb. Up until a few years ago, I’d have to go to another state to shop at TJ’s.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2021, 11:28:04 am »

Well there's one over in Spokane... Maybe something to check out next time I go over for the hot rod show...  :shrug:

Offline verga

« Reply #309 on: August 05, 2021, 03:39:22 pm »
Working on book #3 of the Isaac Bell series by Clive Cussler. Fast moving and interesting historical fiction.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #310 on: August 05, 2021, 04:47:30 pm »
Working on book #3 of the Isaac Bell series by Clive Cussler. Fast moving and interesting historical fiction.

@verga

You can count me in as one of the many,many,Clive Cussler fans.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #311 on: August 05, 2021, 06:03:06 pm »
Their ice cream is the bomb. Up until a few years ago, I’d have to go to another state to shop at TJ’s.
Well, the closest is only one state over--in Minnesota. That's still over 600 miles from here.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #312 on: August 05, 2021, 06:14:46 pm »
I think there's one in Sedona, and we're going there on business at the late August...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #313 on: August 06, 2021, 06:58:55 am »
TJ's is about 8 miles away for me.  We shop there.

And W.E.B. Griffin, he is a definite favorite.  When his books come out, I am reading them the same day.  Problem is, he hasn't published in two years.  I really enjoyed his characters.  Killer McCoy was a great character, along with the father of his good friend, who owned the shipping line.  I felt cheated when he jumped from 1942 to the Korean War.  He could have wrote several books about the balance of WWII. 

Offline verga

« Reply #314 on: August 06, 2021, 01:56:27 pm »
@verga

You can count me in as one of the many,many,Clive Cussler fans.
@sneakypete His son Dirk haws taken over the reins and is releasing a new on November 2nd.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0593419642/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #315 on: August 06, 2021, 02:01:15 pm »
W. E. B. Griffin and Clive Cussler are good, but Tom Clancey was the absolute master of this genre IMHO.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline verga

« Reply #316 on: August 06, 2021, 03:23:00 pm »
W. E. B. Griffin and Clive Cussler are good, but Tom Clancey was the absolute master of this genre IMHO.
I view Clancy as Technofiction, and Cussler's Isaac Bell as Historical fiction.
Loved Clancy, some of the people that picked up his characters are better than others. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #317 on: August 06, 2021, 04:00:02 pm »
I've recently discovered Julia Keller, a WV native whose novels are set in a fictional southern WV town beset with poverty (resulting from the death of the coal industry), drugs and hopelessness. Very, very true to life. Her character development is excellent. The protagonist of her books is a female county prosecutor. Thus far, I've read 4 of what I believe are 8 books. Doesn't look like my library has 2 of them, so I may have to proceed a little out of order.

J.D. Vance's description of Appalachia was very accurate in his book "Appalachian Elegy." Keller's is at least as well done.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2021, 04:08:25 pm »

@Bigun

You obviously haven't read W.E.B Griffins early books,like The Corps,and  The Brotherhood of War. Both start immediately prior to WW-2. Right up there with Louis L'Amour as the best stuff I ever read.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2021, 04:33:26 pm »
@Bigun

You obviously haven't read W.E.B Griffins early books,like The Corps,and  The Brotherhood of War. Both start immediately prior to WW-2. Right up there with Louis L'Amour as the best stuff I ever read.

I have read both of those and many other of his works as well and agree that he was one of the best but still stand by my original statement. 

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jafo2010

« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2021, 05:21:05 pm »
Can't go wrong with Clancy or W.E.B. Griffin.  Both are favorite writers for me.  When a new book comes out, I gobble it up right away.

Online libertybele

« Reply #321 on: August 10, 2021, 12:50:26 am »
"The Founders' Second Amendment Origins of the Right to Bear Arms"   - Stephen Halbrook
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Gefn

« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2021, 05:41:44 pm »
I’m reading a very good book about the Theranos company, called “Bad Blood”, by John Carryou.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2021, 07:47:53 pm »
I'm not reading anything right now. Instead, I'm sitting her mourning the needless loss of 13 American lives who were sacrificed by the idiot in the WH and the rainbow people surrounding him.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2021, 10:05:25 pm »
Currently reading "Afterlight", the sequel to "Last Light", by Alex Scarrow.
These deal with the collapse of humanity in Britain after a catastrosphic end to the "oil economy".
https://www.amazon.com/Last-Light-Alex-Scarrow/dp/0752893270
https://www.amazon.com/Afterlight-Alex-Scarrow/dp/1409103064