Author Topic: UN Chief: ‘I call on all leaders worldwide to declare a State of Climate Emergency in their countrie  (Read 226 times)

rangerrebew

UN Chief: ‘I call on all leaders worldwide to declare a State of Climate Emergency in their countries’ – COVID Lockdowns to Morph into Climate Lockdowns?!

(Reuters) - World leaders should declare states of “climate emergency” to spur faster cuts in greenhouse gas emissions, U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said on Saturday at a summit marking the fifth anniversary of the Paris climate accord. ... “Can anybody still deny that we are facing a dramatic emergency?” Guterres said via video. “That is why today, I call on all leaders worldwide to declare a State of Climate Emergency in their countries until carbon neutrality is reached.” ...

Guterres said economic recovery packages launched in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic should represent an opportunity to accelerate the transition to a low-carbon future - but said this was not happening fast enough.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2020/12/12/un-chief-i-call-on-all-leaders-worldwide-to-declare-a-state-of-climate-emergency-in-their-countries-covid-lockdowns-to-morph-into-climate-lockdowns/