Author Topic: My Climate Plan, Wherein a Climate Skeptic Actually Advocates for A Carbon Tax  (Read 231 times)

rangerrebew

My Climate Plan, Wherein a Climate Skeptic Actually Advocates for A Carbon Tax
March 18, 2016 6 Comments

I am always amazed at how people like to draw conclusions about what I write merely from the title, without actually reading everything I wrote.  This is cross-posted from Coyote Blog, where I already am getting accusations of selling out.  Please read before judging.  I have proposed a carbon tax in a way that would be a net economic benefit even if one totally dismisses the threat of man-made global warming.

While I am not deeply worried about man-made climate change, I am appalled at all the absolutely stupid, counter-productive things the government has implemented in the name of climate change, all of which have costly distorting effects on the economy while doing extremely little to affect man-made greenhouse gas production.  For example:

Corn ethanol mandates and subsidies, which study after study have shown to have zero net effect on CO2 emissions, and which likely still exist only because the first Presidential primary is in Iowa.  Even Koch Industries, who is one of the largest beneficiaries of this corporate welfare, has called for their abolition
    Electric car subsidies, 90% of which go to the wealthy to help subsidize their virtue signalling, and which require morefossil fuels to power than an unsubsidized Prius or even than a SUV.
    Wind subsidies, which are promoting the stupidist form for power ever, whose unpredictabilty means fossil fuel plants still have to be kept running on hot backup and whose blades are the single largest threat to endangered bird species.
    Bad government technology bets like the massive public subsidies of failed Solyndra

http://www.climate-skeptic.com/
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:33:58 pm by rangerrebew »

rangerrebew

« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 12:34:42 pm by rangerrebew »