Author Topic: Could Pence reject contested electors under 12th Amendment? Law professors say yes  (Read 483 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

Could Pence reject contested electors under 12th Amendment? Law professors say yes

In this scenario, for example, when counting Pennsylvania electors, Pence could choose to “count” the slate of electors from the Republican legislature in Harrisburg and not the slate of electors from Democratic Governor Tom Wolf.

By Carrie Sheffield

Updated: December 8, 2020 - 8:40am

Two law professors are arguing the U.S. Constitution's 12th Amendment could empower Vice President Mike Pence to reject contested electors and pave the way for the U.S. House to re-elect President Trump under what's known as a contingent election.

In an October 19 essay at "The American Mind," John Yoo, a law professor at the University of California-Berkeley, and Robert J. Delahunty, a law professor at St. Thomas University, argue that Pence, as presiding officer of the joint congressional session on electors, can refuse to "count" the electoral votes from disputed states.

However, this legal analysis empowering the Vice President faces headwinds as states continue to certify results for Joe Biden over President Trump.

The scholars argue that while the Electoral Count Act of 1887 appears to create "safe harbors" for a state's report of its Electoral College votes, the Act itself might be unconstitutional, because under the 12th Amendment, "the President of the Senate [i.e., the Vice President] shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the certificates [of the electoral votes of the states] and the votes shall then be counted."

more
https://justthenews.com/politics-policy/elections/law-professors-pence-could-reject-contested-electors-under-12th-amendment
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online rustynail

Pence is Deep State.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Pence is Deep State.

Yep, can and will are polar opposites in this matter.  VPOTUS has been lukewarmly supportive of fighting "the steal".  I am sure he is calcuating his political future by the move as we progress.

That is why I was so shockingly surprised that Cruz would risk all to help hear the case at the SCOTUS level.  Sadly Mr. Trump has few freiends in DC left who will join him in the fight. And that is concerning at this point.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Knox27

:facepalm2:

Its how casually they discuss the end of representative democracy... 

Immune to the irony

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Its how casually they discuss the end of representative democracy... 

Immune to the irony

Sez the guy who puts the bong down on even number days.  Immunity?  In your case, try gullibility.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Knox27

Sez the guy who puts the bong down on even number days.  Immunity?  In your case, try gullibility.

I dont check the date before I light up.  And I only smoke with company because what's the point if no one can hear my jokes.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I dont check the date before I light up.  And I only smoke with company because what's the point if no one can hear my jokes.

Story o' my life.... :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: