Author Topic: 10 traits to tell good from evil  (Read 127 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
10 traits to tell good from evil
« on: December 06, 2020, 02:32:41 pm »
December 6, 2020
10 traits to tell good from evil
By Steve Bigler

Lately I've been thinking about defining characteristics of good and evil.  I am a person of faith, so initially I might have been tempted to say simply that good adheres to the commandments of God, or at least to the tenets of a religion.  But that's too easy.  First of all, not everyone believes in God.  In addition, concepts of God vary widely.  And finally, I'm not sure all religions are uniformly good!

So I pondered, "What if I were not a person of faith?  What if I didn't belong to any religion at all?  Surely, I'd still recognize that some principles and behaviors are good and beneficial while others are destructive — even evil.

So I started reflecting on specific traits that I've observed to be good vs those I've found to be ultimately evil.  They actually have little if anything to do with any specific religion.  But I believe they're valid markers.  So I'll offer a list of my "Top Ten Traits."  Feel free to add some of your own in your comments.

1. Good builds and creates.  Evil tears down and destroys.

1a. As a corollary, good has beneficial long-range goals and plans.  Good aspires to accomplish something positive.  Evil exists only to oppose, mock, and heap scorn.

more
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2020/12/10_traits_to_tell_good_from_evil.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: 10 traits to tell good from evil
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 11:19:27 pm »
2. Good has a sense of humor.  Evil has little or no sense of humor.
2a. As a corollary, good appreciates and often employs self-deprecatory humor.  Evil never does.
3. Good doesn't stir others up to anger.  Evil elevates that to an art form
4. Good is willing to give others the benefit of the doubt.  Evil loves to accuse others.
5. Good is willing to personally sacrifice for the benefit of others.  Evil has no interest in personal sacrifice
6. Good is willing to defer gratification and take a long-term approach to accomplish lasting benefit.  Evil demands satisfaction right now.
7. Good cherishes truth.  Good is willing to revise its narrative to fit the truth.  Evil revises the truth to fit its narrative.
8. Good rarely and judiciously employs the principle that the end justifies the means.  That principle is evil's default operating system.
9. Good is humble.  Evil is arrogant.
10. Good focuses on opportunity.  Evil focuses on outcomes.