Author Topic: Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Leave Silicon Valley for Texas  (Read 1506 times)

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Leave Silicon Valley for Texas
« on: December 02, 2020, 08:59:01 pm »
Nico Grant and Ian King
Tue, December 1, 2020, 8:00 PM CST
(Bloomberg) -- Hewlett Packard Enterprise Co. will move its headquarters to Houston, a major shift for a founding Silicon Valley computer maker now seeking haven in a lower-cost region while making way for a new generation of nimbler mobile and consumer-web giants.

The company said it was already building a “state-of-the-art” new campus in Houston, the fourth-largest U.S. city. HPE also reported quarterly revenue that topped analysts’ predictions, suggesting that businesses are upgrading their data-center hardware during the coronavirus pandemic.

HPE was created in the 2015 split of one of the consummate Bay Area technology companies, Hewlett-Packard Co., which was founded in 1939 in a Palo Alto garage. The move to Texas comes amid a broader re-evaluation, motivated by pandemic-enforced work-from-anywhere arrangements, by individuals and companies opting to leave behind a region known for its high cost of living and difficult commute.

Chief Executive Officer Antonio Neri has been working to turn around HPE, a maker of servers, storage hardware and networking gear, which had reported declining revenue in all but one quarter since separating from personal-computer maker HP Inc. Neri is reducing the company’s overhead costs, exiting unprofitable businesses and chasing the hybrid-cloud market, in which businesses store and process some of their information in corporate data centers and some with public cloud companies.

Sales in the quarter ended Oct. 31 were little changed from a year ago at $7.2 billion. Analysts, on average, estimated $6.9 billion, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Profit, excluding some items, was 37 cents a share in the fiscal fourth quarter, HPE said Tuesday in a statement. Analysts had projected 34 cents.

The spread of Covid-19 and the economic slowdown it triggered had suppressed demand for networking and computer hardware and services. Now that companies have settled into remote work for many employees, they’re investing in gear to make that more efficient.

Another large flight from the trauma of California.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hewlett-packard-enterprise-leave-silicon-020027107.html
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline PeteS in CA

Re: Hewlett Packard Enterprise to Leave Silicon Valley for Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:17:00 pm »
"You'll have to live 1-2 hours' drive away and probably will never be able to afford a home near where you work," is a very poor recruiting pitch for hiring new EE, CS, and Business grads.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 09:21:41 pm »
Great....

More left wing CA voters......   9999hair out0000
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:22:27 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2020, 09:42:27 pm »
Great....

More left wing CA voters......   9999hair out0000

Well it is Houston and Harris county.  The place is lousy with liberal douche's as it is.  Even a Cat 6 Hurricane could not save the city from the destruction already being done to it.

Wonder why they didn't go to North Dallas.  TI has/had a huge complex there near Richardson TX off of I635 and when I was fresh out of college they were hiring like crazy. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2020, 09:56:36 pm »
Well it is Houston and Harris county.  The place is lousy with liberal douche's as it is.  Even a Cat 6 Hurricane could not save the city from the destruction already being done to it.

Wonder why they didn't go to North Dallas.  TI has/had a huge complex there near Richardson TX off of I635 and when I was fresh out of college they were hiring like crazy.

Got to realize they are building one of those fancy "mini-city" campus', that will likely be in one of the non-coastal contingent counties. 
Far enough away from Houston and Harris County, to pollute those areas with left wing politics.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 09:57:33 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline berdie

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2020, 09:58:29 pm »
"You'll have to live 1-2 hours' drive away and probably will never be able to afford a home near where you work," is a very poor recruiting pitch for hiring new EE, CS, and Business grads.

The last time I was in Houston, you could have lived a mile away from work and still it would take 1-2 hours to get there. I doubt there has been any improvement. It's as bad as LA.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 10:04:39 pm »
I just did a web dive and they are building in Spring, TX.  That is near the Woodlands and in far north Harris co.  Most people prolly won't live in Harris Co and will go further into the collar counties.

So you are prolly correct.  The Cali scabs moving in will bring their liberal idea's and indoctrinated spawn with them and pollute the TX landscape!

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 10:09:02 pm »
I just did a web dive and they are building in Spring, TX.  That is near the Woodlands and in far north Harris co.  Most people prolly won't live in Harris Co and will go further into the collar counties.

So you are prolly correct.  The Cali scabs moving in will bring their liberal idea's and indoctrinated spawn with them and pollute the TX landscape!

Spring/Woodlands might as well be in Montgomery County,  Poor Conroe...   They won't know what hit them.

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2020, 10:18:46 pm »
Spring/Woodlands might as well be in Montgomery County,  Poor Conroe...   They won't know what hit them.

So true Fish!   RIP Conroe.   It was good to know you.  I always liked that little piece of TX redneck heaven.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 10:41:44 pm »
So true Fish!   RIP Conroe.   It was good to know you.  I always liked that little piece of TX redneck heaven.

They'll all move to Cut and Shoot, and hope the name of the town will intimidate the invaders.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2020, 11:50:20 pm »

The last time I was in Houston, you could have lived a mile away from work and still it would take 1-2 hours to get there. I doubt there has been any improvement. It's as bad as LA.

Silicon Valley traffic, even pre-'vid, isn't that bad. Back in 2005-2009 my commute was ~40 minutes in the morning and 50-55 minutes in the evening, 37.5 miles each way. My commute 2009-2016 was about 5-10 minutes less each way, 23.5 miles each way. The latter employer decided in 2016 to close that division (over an extended time period) and split the division's products between Torrance and Williamsport, PA because they could not recruit young engineers. My choices were a single-tech-company city, Orange County traffic, or finding a new job. I did the latter, as did many. I think the company hoped for ~80% employee retention and ended up with >80% employee turnover.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 03:21:52 am »

You should of just walked for 20 minutes and forget the car. Total BS.

Offline berdie

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 08:42:38 pm »
You should of just walked for 20 minutes and forget the car. Total BS.

I should have made myself more clear. I didn't live there (a clumsy attempt at humor)...just there for a visit and sat in traffic for a really long time. My host assured me that was the norm.

I worked in Dallas. The traffic there has become absurd as well. Since my commute was 130 miles round trip...walking really wasn't an option. Since I couldn't grow wings and fly, I retired instead, lol.

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 02:26:57 pm »
They'll all move to Cut and Shoot, and hope the name of the town will intimidate the invaders.
Get enough of them there and they'll rename the town Strip and Squeeze to satisfy the queer crowd.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 02:28:30 pm »

I should have made myself more clear. I didn't live there (a clumsy attempt at humor)...just there for a visit and sat in traffic for a really long time. My host assured me that was the norm.

I worked in Dallas. The traffic there has become absurd as well. Since my commute was 130 miles round trip...walking really wasn't an option. Since I couldn't grow wings and fly, I retired instead, lol.
I lived in the Bellaire area inside the loop for 9 years and rarely ever found that to be the case.
Locals learn to never get onto the freeway.

Plenty of back streets, although lots of lights too.

The #1 ROT to remember is to NEVER go anywhere during a bad rain.  Those streets flood quickly and I have seen many big intersections flood and cars pulled out of the water over their hoods.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2020, 02:32:02 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 02:33:01 pm »
I lived in the Bellaire area inside the loop for 9 years and rarely ever found that to be the case.
Locals learn to never get onto the freeway.

Plenty of back streets.

True.  When I lived in Pearland and commuted to the HSC area, I found that traveling Hwy 3, and its 47 lights took the same hour and 15 minutes as the taking the Gulf Frwy.  Maybe it was just me, but stopping at a traffic light, but moving was better on the psyche that hitting your breaks ever 5 seconds in traffic jams.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 02:39:16 pm »
That was in the old days. Long ago I never thought of driving anywhere across town in Houston.  Those days are long gone. I just hate to drive across town as I always get hung up in another gridlock. I can't imagine anyone wanting to move here now.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 02:45:12 pm »
I sealed the ignition on my 68 Chev pickup and I could drive thru water that was lapping onto the top of the hood. I'd have to pull my boots off and roll up my pants as the water would be in the truck up to the hump. I'd keep the Rs up to keep water out of the exhaust. I'd just slip the clutch like crazy. Just drive with your speed to match the speed of the wave the truck is making.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2020, 02:53:17 pm »

The #1 ROT to remember is to NEVER go anywhere during a bad rain.  Those streets flood quickly and I have seen many big intersections flood and cars pulled out of the water over their hoods.

And that once every 5 years that there was ice on the freeways?  Ugh!!!!

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2020, 02:53:33 pm »
Get enough of them there and they'll rename the town Strip and Squeeze to satisfy the queer crowd.

Geez! Put away the stereotypes. Silicon Valley is not a Gay Mecca. In over 40 years here I doubt that I've seen as many as 10 "obviously" gay people, none of them coworkers.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 02:55:10 pm »
I once drove down into the water too fast and my truck died. I just put it in reverse and used the starter to back out of the water. I just hate the "Safety Interlocks" that gets put on everything these days. In a minute or so it started and then I just crawled my truck down into that water and I was on my way.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 03:03:26 pm »

Driving in high water is a way of life here. One just learns "High Water Routes" to get them most every where you need to go. One must learn though to make your Own decisions about weather. I can't tell you the times I was at work and we were in a heavy flooding rain. People would crazily wait until the company made the decision to close for the day. By then it was so flooded in the streets that most cars couldn't leave the parking lot.

One has to know his own limitations and make his own decisions. I have commuted thru high water conditions many, many times.

It is a way of life here.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 03:14:23 pm »
I sealed the ignition on my 68 Chev pickup and I could drive thru water that was lapping onto the top of the hood. I'd have to pull my boots off and roll up my pants as the water would be in the truck up to the hump. I'd keep the Rs up to keep water out of the exhaust. I'd just slip the clutch like crazy. Just drive with your speed to match the speed of the wave the truck is making.
Pretty smart.

I also worked downtown New Orleans for 11 years and it has far worse floods when the pumps stop working.

My solution was to buy an old 4x4 Bronco which was an oilfield pumper's company vehicle.  High enough to get around a lot easier.  Could really swamp the poor cars surrounding me if I leaned on gas too much.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 03:23:18 pm »
I was out in a flood after the rain stopped. I was walking my dog. Well he was swimming as I was wading thru the water covering the sidewalk. I went down to the end of my street to a 2 lane thoroughfare that was flooded half way up the lawns on the side of the road. I saw a semi blast down the road sending a wave that was crashing into all the houses down the neighborhood. A total idiot just thinking of himself.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 03:33:05 pm »
And that once every 5 years that there was ice on the freeways?  Ugh!!!!

Not that often and the ice would only be on bridges and overpasses. On an iced up overpass, You just slide over to the other side. No problem at all.  The street corner at my house would freeze over, so I'd just sand the corner myself.