Author Topic: Rising seas predicted to flood thousands of affordable housing units by 2050  (Read 544 times)

rangerrebew

Rising seas predicted to flood thousands of affordable housing units by 2050

Researchers mapped where coastal homes could flood in the US
By Justine Calma  Dec 1, 2020, 6:00am EST

Coastal cities in the US could find themselves grappling with a new housing crisis in the coming decades. The number of affordable housing units vulnerable to flooding could triple by 2050 as the planet heats up, according to a new study. That amounts to more than 24,000 homes that could flood at least once a year by 2050, compared to about 8,000 in 2000.

The study, published today in the journal Environmental Research Letters, ranks the states and cities at greatest risk. Its authors also unveiled a new interactive map that people can use to see how their hometown might be affected.
"Climate change is transforming cities, and the dangers are piling up on lower-income communities"

As the world warms, seas rise. That means tides are creeping further ashore, and storm surges are becoming a bigger threat to homes along the coast. The encroaching waters are just one way climate change is transforming cities, and the dangers are piling up on lower-income communities.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/1/21747466/rising-sea-levels-flood-affordable-housing-2050

Offline rustynail

JoenHoe to the rescue.

rangerrebew

Does this mean coastal palatial mansions of people like Al ( the saint) Gore, B. Hussein (Imam) Obama, the Kennedy family, etc., are to be spared since they are not mentioned? :pondering:

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Does this mean coastal palatial mansions of people like Al ( the saint) Gore, B. Hussein (Imam) Obama, the Kennedy family, etc., are to be spared since they are not mentioned? :pondering:

I sure hope so. Hate to see anything bad happen to them.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I sure hope so. Hate to see anything bad happen to them.
Fear not, their friends in congress will find a way to fund sea walls with taxpayer money to protect them if it comes to that. But remember their talking 2050 and we are all supposed to be dead by then, so say AOC and the Gaia worshipers.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Fear not, their friends in congress will find a way to fund sea walls with taxpayer money to protect them if it comes to that. But remember their talking 2050 and we are all supposed to be dead by then, so say AOC and the Gaia worshipers.

Thanks. I suddenly feel much better.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

Ocean-front affordable housing? Yeah, that's the ticket...  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
About which, them getting free to them sea walls or us all being dead?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Nothing New.

Houston recorded 96,410 flooded homes, followed by unincorporated Harris County with 34,600, according to the report released nine months after the storm. In total, 154,170 homes were flooded during Harvey.

And that's the numbers for just one county for one hurricane.

rangerrebew

@bigheadfred

Let me pour some bad news on you health.  It really doesn't matter since Ste. Greta has already condemned the earth to eternal fire within 9 more years. *****rollingeyes*****

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
@bigheadfred

Let me pour some bad news on you health.  It really doesn't matter since Ste. Greta has already condemned the earth to eternal fire within 9 more years. *****rollingeyes*****

Better dead than red sorta.