Author Topic: Type O blood linked to lower COVID risk, taking Vitamin D unlikely to help  (Read 1230 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Type O blood linked to lower COVID risk, taking Vitamin D unlikely to help

By Nancy Lapid

Type O blood linked to lower COVID risk, taking Vitamin D unlikely to help

By Nancy Lapid

5 Min Read
(Reuters) - The following is a roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus.

Certain blood groups less likely to get COVID-19

A large study adds to evidence that people with type O or Rh−negative blood may be at slightly lower risk from the new coronavirus. Among 225,556 Canadians who were tested for the virus, the risk for a COVID-19 diagnosis was 12% lower and the risk for severe COVID-19 or death was 13% lower in people with blood group O versus those with A, AB, or B, researchers reported on Tuesday in Annals of Internal Medicine. People in any blood group who were Rh-negative were also somewhat protected, especially if they had O-negative blood. People in these blood type groups may have developed antibodies that can recognize some aspect of the new virus, coauthor Dr. Joel Ray of St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto told Reuters. "Our next study will specifically look at such antibodies, and whether they explain the protective effect," Ray said. Whether or how this information might influence COVID-19 prevention or treatment is still unclear. (bit.ly/2JhQvws)

Vitamin D fails to help in severe COVID-19 cases

Low levels of vitamin D have been linked to higher risk for severe COVID-19, but high vitamin D levels do not fix the problem. Increasing vitamin D levels in critically ill patients did not shorten their hospital stay or lower their odds of being moved to intensive care, needing mechanical ventilation, or dying, doctors in Brazil found. They randomly gave 240 patients hospitalized with severe COVID-19 either a single high dose of vitamin D3 or a placebo. Only 6.7% of patients in the vitamin D group had "deficient" levels of the nutrient, compared to 51.5% of patients in the placebo group, but there was no difference in the outcomes, according to a paper posted on medRxiv ahead of peer review. The same was true when the researchers focused on the 116 patients with vitamin D deficiency before the treatment. The authors say theirs is the first randomized trial of its kind to show that vitamin D supplementation "is ineffective to improve hospital length of stay or any other clinical outcomes among hospitalized patients with severe COVID-19." (bit.ly/3mfqOeH)

more
https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-science-idUSL1N2ID1GT
(Reuters) - The following is a roundup of some of the latest scientific studies on the novel coronavirus and efforts to find treatments and vaccines for COVID-19, the illness caused by the virus.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Type O blood linked to lower COVID risk, taking Vitamin D unlikely to help
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 03:08:02 pm »
O negative, baby.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2020, 03:19:35 pm »
Low levels of vitamin D have been linked to higher risk for severe COVID-19, but high vitamin D levels do not fix the problem. Increasing vitamin D levels in critically ill patients did not shorten their hospital stay or lower their odds of being moved to intensive care, needing mechanical ventilation, or dying, doctors in Brazil found.

Yet another example of Covid irrational idiocy.  Note the logical fallacy here.  Premise 1 applies to alleviating risk while Premise 2 applies to treatment.  The two are completely unrelated.  No, Vitamin D is not a cure for severe Covid.  Yes, Vitamin D is a preventative against becoming infected to begin with.  This is journalistic malpractice to intentionally spin this 'disinformation' in a way that discourages people from taking vitamin D.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2020, 03:30:19 pm »
Your Vitamin D levels need to be high before you get it.

After you have it severely is too late... Duh...

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2020, 03:33:24 pm »
Bookmark
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2020, 03:40:38 pm »
O negative, baby.

I have to stay positive I guess...
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2020, 03:47:01 pm »
I have to stay positive I guess...

Im actually negative. I keep getting calls from the Red Cross they need my blood pretty badly right now,

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2020, 03:51:38 pm »

The body naturally stockpiles Vitamin D during the summer months with peek levels reached in either Sept or Oct ( i forget)  With the lock downs and fear of catching the bug many people are gonna be D deficient this winter.  If you fall into this group of "deficient's"  You all better be taking a supplement.  Or you will probably die.

Dr. Wingnut.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online rustynail

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 04:13:35 pm »
Are eggs bad this week?

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 06:57:02 pm »
"They randomly gave 240 patients hospitalized with severe COVID-19 either a single high dose of vitamin D3 or a placebo.

Already hospitalized? A single dose? It's too late for Vit-D to help in any way.  How about identifying a bunch of people who are deficient, choosing the right mix of those to create a scientific sample, supplementing half so that their vit-D is at normal levels, and then following both groups to see who gets infected and the severity of the infection.  It's a preventative, not a cure.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 07:27:03 pm »
   For such a Negative person it's hard for me to believe I have 0+ Blood.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 08:05:20 pm »
@corbe

O positive isn't that rare.  1 in 3 people have that blood type.

AB negative is the rarest blood type.  1 in 167 people have AB negative.

Scientists believe that people with AB negative blood are Alien hybrids.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online corbe

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 08:17:21 pm »
   @DCPatriot I was just speculating that people with any type of positive Blood Type should not be as Negative person as I seem. 

A dear Woman that has recently stumbled across my LifeLine has read through alot of my posts here, from wayback, and wondered how such a positive person in 'Real Life' could come across so Negative in here? 
   I totally failed in explaining that 'Whiskey don't make Liars, It just makes Fools' part of the equation.  She obviously skipped that Semester.

@Texas Robin
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2020, 08:20:59 pm »
@corbe

I need to get some whiskey or bourbon for a neighbor from “Santa”

(Married couple)

Hmm. I’ll start a thread for ideas what to get. Thanks for the idea. It’s a better idea than a candle from Bath and Body Works.

Online corbe

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2020, 08:32:24 pm »
   My GOTO after a frustrated day of Blogging in Brieferville @Gefn

Online corbe

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2020, 08:38:21 pm »

They're a few of us that have been trying to warn yall for years.   

@roamer_1

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2020, 10:37:52 pm »

Maybe, maybe not...
Brazil... How many people in Brazil are likely to be vitD deficient in the first place?

And ONE 3k iu ? 10k iu for week might do something for someone that was deficient. Hell I do 2k iu a day all winter and I might not stay even.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2020, 10:40:27 pm »
@corbe

O positive isn't that rare.  1 in 3 people have that blood type.

AB negative is the rarest blood type.  1 in 167 people have AB negative.

Scientists believe that people with AB negative blood are Alien hybrids.

@DCPatriot
Well no, I think it's the 'negative' that is in question... And I think you forgot quotes around 'scientists'

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 10:43:07 pm »

They're a few of us that have been trying to warn yall for years.   

@roamer_1

That's right @corbe ... Though I am sure they will appreciate you marinating your liver for them for so long... That charred oak barrel flavor must be well imparted by now.  :laugh:

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 11:34:20 pm »
Maybe, maybe not...
Brazil... How many people in Brazil are likely to be vitD deficient in the first place?

And ONE 3k iu ? 10k iu for week might do something for someone that was deficient. Hell I do 2k iu a day all winter and I might not stay even.

I do 5k IU a day.

As far as Brazil goes, hard to say. Darker skin takes more sunlight to produce D than a light skinned person does. You would think a place like Arizona with lots of sun would have more people exposed to the sun but in fact most people stay indoors when it is hot and don't get a lot of sun.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 05:47:21 am »
O negative, baby.

Ditto.  Part of Nephilum, it is said. 

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 05:52:38 am »
Yet another example of Covid irrational idiocy.  Note the logical fallacy here.  Premise 1 applies to alleviating risk while Premise 2 applies to treatment.  The two are completely unrelated.  No, Vitamin D is not a cure for severe Covid.  Yes, Vitamin D is a preventative against becoming infected to begin with.  This is journalistic malpractice to intentionally spin this 'disinformation' in a way that discourages people from taking vitamin D.

Discourage people....YES, I AGREE. Don't do anything that may help or work.  This is agenda 20.  VITAMIN D helps for a lot of other things too. BONE. 

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 06:11:16 am »
Ditto.  Part of Nephilum, it is said.

Nah. In fact the addition of the rhesus factor would be the one indicative of manipulation, not the other way around.

Offline Texas Robin

• Breathe...then go forward
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 02:51:02 am »
It's probably good that I missed a semister, as now I'm refreshed... :yowsa:
Everything has an expiration date, so make the most of it