Author Topic: Food tips  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Texas Robin

• Breathe...then go forward
Food tips
« on: November 28, 2020, 02:43:59 am »
food tips: you know when you have a sandwhich with tomato's and it doesn't cover you bread, well fret no more. take cherry tomato's and put them in a food processor, then drain. now you have a tomato relish. you can also add spices to your liking.
Everything has an expiration date, so make the most of it

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Food tips
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 03:11:12 pm »
This is cool!  Can you tell us about any tricks you did for Thanksgiving?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 03:15:26 pm »
 goopo

Good post!

And hello @Texas Robin  :seeya:
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 03:26:32 pm »
goopo

Good post!

And hello @Texas Robin  :seeya:

I love the new Avatar, @Gefn!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 03:34:44 pm »
I don't have a food processor. How about just putting more tomato slices in your samich? The more tomato slices the better. Well I like tomatoes any sorta way. One way I haven't had in way too many years is fried green tomatoes.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 03:57:42 pm »

Thank you @Cyber Liberty

We all need a little Santa magic I think. Besides, milk, and cookies are nice too.

Offline Texas Robin

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 04:15:12 pm »
This is cool!  Can you tell us about any tricks you did for Thanksgiving?
Glad you asked, if you make a green salad and don't eat it all, you can keep it fresh by putting  in some croutons when you store it. FYI; it won't work if you have cut up tomato's or salad dressing in it. It will stay fresh for several days.  Now who else out there has some tips.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 04:19:52 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

I like the new avatar too!

Offline Texas Robin

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 04:21:49 pm »
I don't have a food processor. How about just putting more tomato slices in your samich? The more tomato slices the better. Well I like tomatoes any sorta way. One way I haven't had in way too many years is fried green tomatoes.             
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 04:25:53 pm by Texas Robin »

Offline Texas Robin

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 04:29:30 pm »
 True that you could add more slices of tomato's :) this is just an idea. now about the fried green tomato's, why don't you make some then let us know how they turned out and give us the tip on how to make them. :yowsa:

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 04:35:36 pm »
I’ve never had a fried green tomato. I do want to try one.

I made grits for breakfast though, I had oatmeal or grits in the pantry. Finished the box of grits rather than starting the box of oatmeal.

Just not in the mood to go to the grocery store today. I sorely need to for fresh stuff.

I make small batches of food that I can’t freeze or eat two days straight since I had the bariatric surgery 4 1/2 years ago. This way I’m not throwing out food since I eat about 1100-1200 calories a day.

Offline Texas Robin

Food tips
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 04:38:02 pm »
Another idea is when your bananas get ripe then peel them and freeze.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 04:45:13 pm »
True that you could add more slices of tomato's :) this is just an idea. now about the fried green tomato's, why don't you make some then let us know how they turned out and give us the tip on how to make them. :yowsa:

Well, I'll take you up on that. It's been way too long. Now it'll be a while. I've never seen green tomatoes for sale, so like I said, it'll be a while.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 04:51:25 pm »
Until then, I found a recipe:

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fried_green_tomatoes/

If you can find it, use fine white cornmeal, which is the primary cornmeal used in the South. Buttermilk adds flavor and tang, but is not strictly necessary.

Ingredients

3 medium, firm green tomatoes
    Salt
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp Cajun seasoning (optional)
    1/2 cup milk or buttermilk
    1 egg
    1/3 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup peanut oil or extra virgin olive oil

Method

1 Slice and salt green tomatoes: Cut unpeeled tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices. Sprinkle slices with salt. Let tomato slices stand for 5 minutes.

2 Set out shallow bowls with coating ingredients: While the salted green tomato slices are resting, place in separate shallow bowls: the flour and Cajun seasoning (if using), buttermilk and egg, and breadcrumbs and cornmeal.

3 Dip green tomato slices in flour, egg, then breadcrumbs: Heat the peanut oil in a skillet on medium heat. Beat the egg and the buttermilk together. Dip the green tomato slices in the flour-seasoning mix, then the buttermilk-egg mixture, then the cornmeal-breadcrumb mix.

4 Fry the green tomatoes: In the skillet, fry half of the coated tomato slices at a time, for 3-5 minutes on each side or until brown.

Set the cooked tomatoes on paper towels to drain. These fried green tomatoes are fantastic with a little Tabasco sauce or remoulade.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 05:07:04 pm »
My grandfather was the warden of the Louisville Ga. prison. And until he retired, that's where I spent my summers. I ate lunch every day at the prison with the guards. There was a long table, with always a full spread of great Southern Cuisine.

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 05:31:40 pm »

This is a good one. I do like bananas 🍌

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:33:03 pm by Gefn »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 05:52:27 pm »

@Texas Robin

I merged this excellent Topic with the one you posted earlier....
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 05:53:35 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 11:45:49 pm »
I’ve never had a fried green tomato. I do want to try one.

Oh MAN, are you missing out!

I make small batches of food that I can’t freeze or eat two days straight since I had the bariatric surgery 4 1/2 years ago. This way I’m not throwing out food since I eat about 1100-1200 calories a day.

Y'all should think about getting a freezer if you have somewhere to put it... I can't make good food for one person... There is something in the volume that cannot be replaced in the helping... Chili for instance... I still make a big ol pot of chili... And then I bag up more than half of it into quart zippys, and put em in the freezer... And I can STILL get sick of chili by the time I eat the rest of what I didn't put up.

And that big ol pot is WAY cheap to make too - It likely ain't true now, but my chili used to cost about 12 bucks to make... Think about that - Put half of it up, eat on the other half for a week... That's some pretty cheap eats right there... Can't do that cooking by the serving.  :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 11:52:44 pm »

Good idea... I coin em up and run em through the (food) dryer. My last near missus did another thing... She ripped a banana down the middle, just once in half, and put those in the dryer... they don't lose all their moisture like a banana chip would... They get to where they are chewy... Then she'd dip em in caramel and chocolate (sometimes sprinkled in almond or peanut chips)... Those are a direct replacement for a candy bar. Absolutely delicious! The banana acts like nougat... though it is more substantial than that... I could eat them things all day long!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 11:55:49 pm »
food tips: you know when you have a sandwhich with tomato's and it doesn't cover you bread, well fret no more. take cherry tomato's and put them in a food processor, then drain. now you have a tomato relish. you can also add spices to your liking.

Nice idea, but I would just use regular big tomatoes.  You are throwing away some nutrition and ruffish.  sp?
Seeds and juice. EVERYONES CHOICE.  I get that, only my opinion.  Then some people buy the stuff to colon cleanse.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 12:00:22 am »
Until then, I found a recipe:

That's about right... We do the same with eggplant, though just peeled, coined (1/4 inch or less) dunked in egg wash and then through seasoned flour... Throw that down in a iron skillet in a good amount of butter or oil (just shy of enough to cover)

We serve open face on white buttered bread, with too much salt... And a big slice of tomato on top, if you have em.' :beer:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:02:23 am by roamer_1 »

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 12:00:50 am »
Oh MAN, are you missing out!

Y'all should think about getting a freezer if you have somewhere to put it... I can't make good food for one person... There is something in the volume that cannot be replaced in the helping... Chili for instance... I still make a big ol pot of chili... And then I bag up more than half of it into quart zippys, and put em in the freezer... And I can STILL get sick of chili by the time I eat the rest of what I didn't put up.

And that big ol pot is WAY cheap to make too - It likely ain't true now, but my chili used to cost about 12 bucks to make... Think about that - Put half of it up, eat on the other half for a week... That's some pretty cheap eats right there... Can't do that cooking by the serving.  :shrug:

You already know, I do things like a pioneer woman.  I make all kind of homemade soups, then freeze in my containers. 
Chicken, Lentil, Beef, yes Chill, Chicken w/barley Spinach, etc.  If I am sick, and need some chicken broth, it is ready. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 12:12:31 am by LegalAmerican »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 12:10:47 am »

You already know, I co things like a pioneer woman.  I make all kind of homemade soups, then freeze in my containers. 
Chicken, Lentil, Beef, yes Chill, Chicken w/barley Spinach, etc.  If I am sick, and need some chicken broth, it is ready.

I am *just* getting into lentils... My sis makes a leek and lentil soup I could eat all day... I want to be able to do that here. I am rather 'pioneer' too - I cook from the basics, and stock up the pantry accordingly... Lentils have not been in my dry goods till now... Just red beans, pinto beans, black beans, rice, flour, and sugar. Some others not so much worth the mention (noodles, quinoa etc).

So my cooking has always been American or Tex-Mex for the most part, with forays into Italian...

But I am buying into lentils now, primarily for that soup... It is *perfect* except in that it needs meat - I think maybe diced up turkey-ham would be just the thing, or maybe coined and seared beef kielbasa...

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 12:17:50 am »
I am *just* getting into lentils... My sis makes a leek and lentil soup I could eat all day... I want to be able to do that here. I am rather 'pioneer' too - I cook from the basics, and stock up the pantry accordingly... Lentils have not been in my dry goods till now... Just red beans, pinto beans, black beans, rice, flour, and sugar. Some others not so much worth the mention (noodles, quinoa etc).

So my cooking has always been American or Tex-Mex for the most part, with forays into Italian...

But I am buying into lentils now, primarily for that soup... It is *perfect* except in that it needs meat - I think maybe diced up turkey-ham would be just the thing, or maybe coined and seared beef kielbasa...

Yes that is how I make my lentil soup. Ham chopped and kielbasa.  Then a batch of spinach, at the end.  Very nutritious and lentils pick up the meat taste.  There is also a plain lentil soup, but I don't care so much for that.  Mom did a Leek soup. Leeks, parsnip, carrots, potatoes. Then add some evaporated milk. Like a vegetable dish. Good way to get in some nutrition, if lacking vegetables. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2020, 12:18:17 am »

Now you definitely need ripe bananas for banana pudding and banana bread. I love both of them so much. If you are buying bananas for eating raw, like we do, then buy them greener. And color can be deceiving. Make sure you squeeze them to make sure that they aren't already going soft. They need to feel firm when you buy them.