Author Topic: Boosted by Texas House wins, Gov. Abbott humors 2024 presidential speculation  (Read 219 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Jeremy Blackman Nov. 14, 2020

Four months ago, Gov. Greg Abbott was facing the toughest stretch of his political career. Coronavirus infections were surging across Texas, factions of his political party were openly revolting against his response, and for the first time since taking office, it seemed as though the state’s most popular Republican was suddenly not so popular.

But after helping the GOP dominate this month in a slew of contentious state House races, the governor appears to have emerged unscathed, with whispers from fellow Republicans about a run for higher office.

“I started getting some calls this weekend from friends outside of the state saying, ‘Hey, do you think your governor might be looking at the 2024 race?’” said Ray Sullivan, a Republican strategist who has worked on four presidential campaigns. “So I can tell you, from my experience, that national inquiry has already started.”

Abbott has not even officially launched his re-election campaign for 2022, but already there is speculation about whether he could mount an effective presidential bid in four years — rumblings that the governor seems happy to encourage.

Asked in a television interview Wednesday in Dallas about a potential run, he said, “The first step is to win re-election,” and after that, “we’ll see what happens.”

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/politics/texas/article/Texas-House-Abbott-presidential-speculation-2024-15725186.php

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
My advice to Governor Abbott:  Hang it up!  You craped your drawers big time in your handling of this COVID construct and your political career is done whether or not YOU yet realize it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

My advice to Governor Abbott:  Hang it up!  You craped your drawers big time in your handling of this COVID construct and your political career is done whether or not YOU yet realize it.
Amen.

He has proven to be part of the problem rather than a solution.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Outside the COVID issues, he's been good.  Still, even as a Texan, I am strongly for Cotton in 2024 at this point.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Outside the COVID issues, he's been good.  Still, even as a Texan, I am strongly for Cotton in 2024 at this point.

Good is a relative term.  I don't think playing along with members of the Texas Legislature who are stealth democrats in republican clothing is good but to each his own.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien