Author Topic: Waukegan mayor urges calm from residents after police shooting of young Black couple  (Read 1048 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Waukegan mayor urges calm from residents after police shooting of young Black couple
One of the victims was killed immediately, with the other taken to a hospital in serious condition
By Peter Aitken | Fox News

An Illinois mayor pleaded for calm from residents of his town after police opened fire on an unarmed Black couple, according to reports.

Waukegan Mayor Sam Cunningham spoke out after police shot the couple, who were sitting in a car, killing one and wounding the other, ABC News reported. Protests started on Thursday with only a few dozen people near the site of the incident, but grew over the following day.

"This is tough on Waukegan. This is tough on this community," Cunningham said at a news conference on Wednesday. "I know these families personally."

"To be able to speak to them about this, yes, it hurts," Cunningham added. "It just doesn't hurt me, the police department -- it hurts Waukegan, Illinois."

Cunningham was elected in 2017, becoming Waukegan’s first Black mayor.

"Yes, I'm nervous. I'm nervous because there's a lot of uncertainty out there, there's a lot of rumors flying around. I'm nervous for Waukegan. We've seen this play out throughout this country. It just rips through communities and it takes years to rebuild."

Marcelis Stinnete and his girlfriend and mother of his child, Tafara Williams, were shot after Williams’ vehicle started rolling toward a police officer during a traffic stop.

Stinnete was killed, and Williams was injured. Williams was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/waukegan-mayor-calm-police-shooting-black-couple
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline LegalAmerican

Black couple using their CAR as weapon, attack police.  Police shoot, to survive attack. 

I like my headline better.

Offline PeteS in CA

From the article:

Police have said that the pair were in a vehicle that fled a traffic stop late Tuesday.

The officer who shot the couple is Hispanic and a five-year veteran of the Waukegan Police Department. The officer who conducted the original traffic stop is White, police said.

"That officer exited his vehicle and the vehicle that he was investigating began to reverse toward the officer," Waukegan Police Department Commander Edgar Navarro alleged. "The officer then pulled out his duty weapon and fired into the vehicle that was reversing. Both occupants were struck."

Maybe they saw too many movies and TV shows in which a car is good cover from bullets.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

Black couple using their CAR as weapon, attack police.  Police shoot, to survive attack. 

I like my headline better.

Why emphasize their skin color? Whites never do such idiocy?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline LegalAmerican

Some thing wrong with you.  DID you read article?   I SAY CEASE & DESIST...ATTACKING ME.  You are an idiot.
---

Post reply (  Re: Waukegan mayor urges calm from residents after police shooting of young Black couple

The officer who shot the couple is Hispanic and a five-year veteran of the Waukegan Police Department. The officer who conducted the original traffic stop is White, police said.= ARTICLE.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20201022/we-want-to-know-why-waukegan-family-mourns-questions-why-marcellis-stinnette-died

The car driven by Stinnette's girlfriend reversed as the officer approached and the officer acted in self-defense, Waukegan Police Department officials said.

That account is disputed by a witness and the driver, Tafara Williams of Waukegan, who contend the officer rammed the car and began shooting, Lake County Black Lives Matter founder Clyde McLemore told the Daily Herald.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

What is your problem with us being descriptive on race. About the 4th time I have seen you do that... stuff it... if I want to say black I will say it. @PeteS in CA
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I hope there are huge city-burning riots two weeks before an election. That will reinforce the perils of voting for marxism.

Offline LegalAmerican

I hope there are huge city-burning riots two weeks before an election. That will reinforce the perils of voting for marxism.

BINGO. They are already walking the streets and getting up steam.  THIS..will prove, that they are not a violent people. /s

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So, who had Waukegan in the Riot Pool?  @Wingnut?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline PeteS in CA

Some thing wrong with you.  DID you read article?   I SAY CEASE & DESIST...ATTACKING ME.  You are an idiot.
---
Post reply (  Re: Waukegan mayor urges calm from residents after police shooting of young Black couple

The officer who shot the couple is Hispanic and a five-year veteran of the Waukegan Police Department. The officer who conducted the original traffic stop is White, police said.= ARTICLE.

What is your problem with us being descriptive on race. About the 4th time I have seen you do that... stuff it... if I want to say black I will say it. @PeteS in CA

I don't know if either of you noticed or understand what it means, but I'm the Category Moderator (Cat Mod) for this forum. You are correct, @Sighlass, that I have several times pointed out @LegalAmerican and others who incongruently emphasized color in discussions. As Cat Mod that falls within what I am supposed to do.

I'm not going to "stuff it" Sighlass.

I am not "attacking" you, LegalAmerican. I don't waste time and energy with personal bickery stuff. The article is about rioting and the shooting from which it flowed; you chose to emphasize the skin color of the couple by making "black" the first word in your imagined headline. Don't like being called out for uncalled for emphasis on skin color? Report my post to the Moderators (they will take action if warranted) or discuss your thinking here in this thread (civil discussion, what a strange idea!). Attacking me - which your post did - and calling me an "idiot" just confirms to me that you chose to emphasize the skin color of the couple.