Author Topic: Virginia legislature passes bill preventing cops from stopping cars with no headlights, brake lights  (Read 2599 times)

Online corbe

Virginia legislature passes bill preventing cops from stopping cars with no headlights, brake lights, etc.

Posted by: Pat Droney|October 16, 2020

The following contains editorial content written by a retired Chief of Police and current staff writer for Law Enforcement Today.

—

RICHMOND, VA- The pure “genius” of the Virginia General Assembly knows no bounds.

One of the leading indicators of a drunk driver at night is a car that is operating with no lights on. Criminals who are casing neighborhoods for burglaries also like to cruise around with their lights off.

Under a law passed by the General Assembly, police officers would no longer be able to use operating without lights lit as probable cause to conduct a traffic stop. There are numerous other equipment violations that are included as well.

As we said, pure genius.

Yahoo News, citing a report from The Daily Press, says the legislation, which is headed to the desk of Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D), also bars police from stopping cars for a variety of equipment violations—from darkly tinted windows (another tactic enjoyed by criminals) to faulty brake lights, loud mufflers, or objects dangling from rearview mirrors.

<..snip..>

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/virginia-passes-law-that-prevents-enforcement-of-equipment-violations/?fbclid=IwAR0ZMlXky6q5n5uRy_sVFpiMHFgbf20joasd5RP9ifHXZBwLxB_K_mHGFuc
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
For those of us who have come around a turn to see a charcoal gray car with no lights on at twilight, well, we understand this is a safety issue.

Expect the death toll on Virginia's highways to climb.

From a local police officer: "One in four vehicles traveling at night without headlights (in town) is being operated by someone who is DUI."
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

For those of us who have come around a turn to see a charcoal gray car with no lights on at twilight, well, we understand this is a safety issue.

It is also against the law.  But now local Virginia police are being barred by the Commonwealth from enforcing the law.

In the near future, they will be ordering local police to pull people over for this perfectly legal 'offense':

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Like they say, You can't fix stupid but you can elect them to office.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Virginia seems to be lost and slipping past the point where it will ever be reclaimed.

Too bad we can't split off "North/East Virginia" into a separate state, and let "South/West Virginia" go its own way.

Offline roamer_1

Expect the death toll on Virginia's highways to climb.

From a local police officer: "One in four vehicles traveling at night without headlights (in town) is being operated by someone who is DUI."

To be fair, a silver lining... Cut out switches and driving on the ambers should now be technically legal for moonshine runs.

Online corbe

Virginia seems to be lost and slipping past the point where it will ever be reclaimed.

Too bad we can't split off "North/East Virginia" into a separate state, and let "South/West Virginia" go its own way.

It's been done Successfully before @Fishrrman. Just ask West 'By G_d' Virginians.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Hoodat

To be fair, a silver lining... Cut out switches and driving on the ambers should now be technically legal for moonshine runs.

That's why NASCAR cars don't have lights.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

That's why NASCAR cars don't have lights.

LOL! Don't I know it... But they have stadium lighting, so it's kinda cheating...   :shrug: :whistle:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Online Hoodat

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online corbe

Chris Knight - It Ain't Easy Being Me (Official Video)

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline roamer_1

Back at ya

LOL! YEAH.  :beer:

I wonder how many folks on here know that a cut off broomstick was the early form of cruise control, and how many actually have used it... I know of one.  :laugh: :beer:

Offline LegalAmerican

Wow, that was quick, removing my truthful, factual post about drunk illegal T-BONING my car. Why do so many pretend, they don't drink a lot?

Online corbe

I know nothing about your post being removed @LegalAmerican
  What I do know is that I drink a lot BUT I never drive when intoxicated, EVER!  Maybe you were painting with your broad brushes again, just saying.   :shrug:

Offline LegalAmerican

What I do know is that I drink a lot BUT I never drive when intoxicated, EVER!  Maybe you were painting with your broad brushes again, just saying.   :shrug:

No broad brush.  Just some facts. It is the PEOPLE, who think,  it INCLUDES THEMSELVES. Why do people do that?  I don't know anyone on here! WHY PLACE YOURSELVES IN MY POST.  NOT ABOUT YOU. I do know , the people I've had interactions with.  Board Brush?  STOP THINKING IT IS ABOUT,  YOU.  I am not the problem. It is the people, who WANT TO BE IN THE BROAD BRUSH.  So, now each time I have to say,  DISCLAIMER;  NOT ABOUT ANYONE ON HERE POSTING.

Offline LegalAmerican

See?  NOTHING,  about you CORBE.  I don't know if you drink, nor care.  Nor, do I need to know. Why would you post about your drinking habits?  Makes my point.  NOT ABOUT....YOU. People need to stop thinking it is ALWAYS ABOUT  THEMSELVES. 

Offline roamer_1

What I do know is that I drink a lot BUT [...]

I feel ya pal...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I feel ya pal...

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Yep.

Don't get me started.....

...and why I don't.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

Ok, I am done posting on here, for all the tender feelings. 

Offline roamer_1

Yep.

Don't get me started.....

...and why I don't.

Me too... I don't don't, but I have to stay away from the hard stuff pretty much. But even with beer, if i have four I am alright... If I have 5 I will be waking up in a ditch somewhere day after tomorrow. So needless to say, I maintain a reduced consumption compared to my 'glory days'.

Still a sucker for a tailgate party or a bonfire.

Online corbe

Offline MOD8

Wow, that was quick, removing my truthful, factual post about drunk illegal T-BONING my car. Why do so many pretend, they don't drink a lot?

@LegalAmerican our post was irrelevant to this thread.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
@LegalAmerican our post was irrelevant to this thread.

.... . .-. / .-- .... --- .-.. . / - .. -- . / .... . .-. . / .. ... / .. .-. .-. . .-.. . ...- .- -. - .-.-.-
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Like they say, You can't fix stupid but you can elect them to office.

Which leads me to believe that stupid people elect stupid people to office and conclude that there are a lot of stupid people out there!

...and you can't drink stupid smart!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

.... . .-. / .-- .... --- .-.. . / - .. -- . / .... . .-. . / .. ... / .. .-. .-. . .-.. . ...- .- -. - .-.-.-

I plugged that into Google @Wingnut and what you suggested is considered p0rn on this planet, I like it.