Author Topic: Stand-alone bill to provide relief for airlines blocked on House floor  (Read 365 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stand-alone bill to provide relief for airlines blocked on House floor
By Alex Gangitano - 10/02/20 03:20 PM EDT

House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) attempted to pass a stand-alone bill that would give relief to airlines on the House floor Friday.

The attempt was unsuccessful after the Oregon congressman was denied a request for unanimous consent, which would preclude the need for members to participate in a recorded vote. His bill would extend the airline Payroll Support Program (PSP) by six months.

“The Republican minority killed this legislation, plain and simple. If they had just agreed, tens of thousands of workers for the airlines — flight attendants, they don’t get paid a heck of a lot of money, pilots, yeah they do well, mechanics, gate agents — tens of thousands of those people have been furlough as of yesterday,” DeFazio said on the House floor.

PSP, which allocated $25 billion in aid for airlines, was part of the massive $2.2 trillion Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act passed in March. As a condition for accepting the relief, it prohibited airlines from laying off employees until Oct. 1.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/519381-stand-alone-bill-to-provide-relief-for-airlines-blocked-on-house-floor
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Stand-alone bill to provide relief for airlines blocked on House floor
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 10:48:24 pm »
I can't see how the airlines (or the Congress, through our taxes) can keep on paying their employees for planes that aren't flying, or are flying near-empty.

There comes a time when the only option that makes financial sense is to furlough unneeded workers.

I know of this myself -- I was furloughed 14 months in 1982-83 early in my railroad career.

Amtrak had been trying to keep just about all their train/engine service people "on the payroll", but since business hasn't come back, they're starting to furlough employees now, too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 12:53:17 am »
The attempt was unsuccessful after the Oregon congressman was denied a request for unanimous consent, which would preclude the need for members to participate in a recorded vote. His bill would extend the airline Payroll Support Program (PSP) by six months.

“The Republican minority killed this legislation, plain and simple.

I call BS.  Dems control the House.  They could have taken up a floor vote and passed this if they had wanted to.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 12:57:36 am »
   I understand that the Airline Industry is somewhat vital to our economy but isn't the US Government betting on winners and losers again on the taxpayers dime?   :shrug:
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.