Author Topic: Chris Wallace: Trump 'bears the primary responsibility for what happened' at the debate  (Read 526 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Chris Wallace: Trump 'bears the primary responsibility for what happened' at the debate
'I had baked this beautiful, delicious cake and frankly, the president put his foot in it,' Wallace tells Bill Hemmer
Fox News, Oct 1, 2020

Fox News Sunday" host Chris Wallace joined "Bill Hemmer Reports" Thursday to reflect on Tuesday night's explosive first presidential debate between President Trump and Joe Biden.
Wallace, who moderated the 94-minute clash in Cleveland, began by joking that the highlights host Bill Hemmer played had led to a recurrence the "PTSD" he had "just gotten over."

"My initial reaction was, 'This is great' because so often these debates become parallel news conferences where one candidate answers the question to him, the other candidate answers the question to him," Wallace recalled. "So when the president started engaging with Biden, I thought we were gonna have a real debate here."

However, Wallace went on, "it became clear, and clearer over time that this was something different and that the president was determined to try to butt in or throw Joe Biden off ... I saw another Fox analysis that indicates the president interrupted either Biden's answers or my questions a total of 145 times, which is way more than one a minute. And he bears the primary responsibility for what happened on Tuesday night."

Wallace told Hemmer that he "began being more forceful" after repeatedly urging Trump not to interrupt the Democratic nominee.

"At a certain point, 45 minutes in, I called a halt to the debate for a moment and said 'You know, this isn't really serving America and please stop the interruptions,'" Wallace told Hemmer. "And the president said, 'Well, why don't you admonish him? And I said, 'Because you're doing a lot more of the interrupting, Mr. President.' Biden was doing some, no question about it, but less than half as many times as the president."

At one point, Wallace expressed his biggest "frustration" by holding up his "debate book," which he stressed took "hundreds of manhours and womanhours" of research to put together a "serious, substantive debate" head of the presidential showdown.

More: https://www.foxnews.com/media/chris-wallace-debate-reaction-trump-biden

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Poor Chrissy. He let his trump hate boner out and he got it whacked.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
Wallace was widely applauded in 2016 for moderating one of the debates, and I agreed with that assessment of his work.  But I believe he has become irritated that Trump and his Press Secretaries do not kowtow and defer to the White House Press Corps, and confess its scriptural authority to determine what the American people will think.

He’s hacked off that his end of the swamp doesn’t get the humble submission it used to receive.
James 1:20

He’s hacked off that his end of the swamp doesn’t get the humble submission it used to receive.

It seems to me the only one Wallace is hacked off with is the President --- who interrupted Biden's interruptions.

Wallace is still a treasure of the swamp.  Following the debate, Wallace was met with a glass of champagne and greeted by Fox News CEO Lachlan Murdoch at an airport in Cleveland. (https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/chris-wallace-trump-biden-debate-interrupting-sad-fox-news-b741151.html)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
One thing I am really ticked off about, is neither Hannity or Carlson either rebuked Wallace and his left wing moderation debacle.

Chickenshits. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

One thing I am really ticked off about, is neither Hannity or Carlson either rebuked Wallace and his left wing moderation debacle.

Chickenshits.

Agree.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
The photo above is great!  Perfect summary of who supported Biden!

Wallace was the moderator and defender at large for Biden.  I thought the questions Wallace asked were extremely biased and unprofessional.  But then again, Fox News has gone radical liberal, and he represents the majority of pukes at Fox.