Author Topic: The Juke Box  (Read 342773 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: The Juke Box
« Reply #700 on: August 27, 2011, 02:00:50 am »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #701 on: August 27, 2011, 02:35:18 am »
It was such a simple time -- compared to today, and the music, did we really appreciate it as much then or did it take heavy metal and rap to really give us an appreciation of what we had and have lost.

That's an interesting question.  I don't think at the time I appreciated the historic nature of the music being written and performed during the 60s, the era of my musical awakening.  I think however I enjoy it more now than I did then.  Could that be?

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #702 on: August 27, 2011, 03:31:10 am »
That's an interesting question.  I don't think at the time I appreciated the historic nature of the music being written and performed during the 60s, the era of my musical awakening.  I think however I enjoy it more now than I did then.  Could that be?

I just know it brings back a lot of warm feelings...... somehow I don't think rap will have the same effect on this generation 30 or 40 years from now.  Even hearing songs from the Vietnam War Era make me remember what that music stood for....
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #703 on: August 27, 2011, 03:37:53 am »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #704 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:43 am »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #705 on: August 27, 2011, 03:42:14 am »
I just know it brings back a lot of warm feelings...... somehow I don't think rap will have the same effect on this generation 30 or 40 years from now.  Even hearing songs from the Vietnam War Era make me remember what that music stood for....

Mark Belling expounded on the profound effect the 60's music had on the culture black and white together....unlike the rap and hip hop today.

There is an entire generation or two of black men that have no connection to the white man.  Not a serene thought.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #706 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:42 am »
Mark Belling expounded on the profound effect the 60's music had on the culture black and white together....unlike the rap and hip hop today.

There is an entire generation or two of black men that have no connection to the white man.  Not a serene thought.

I think that is one reason this huge divide has been such a shock to me, DC...starting with the Watts Riots in the 60's.  I grew up in Palos Verdes, but when our high school was not completed I went to school down the hill in Torrance for two years and we mixed all cultures together seamlessly back then, black, white, rich, poor...... it was a different time..... and the music and the cars (especially in SoCal) were a big part of it...  I remember being a little shocked on my summer trips to stay on the farm with my grandmother in Texas when she would make comments about other races, because I didn't hear it at home and at school we all mixed.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #707 on: August 27, 2011, 04:37:59 am »

Same here.  I recall it being a theme in the crowd I hung with.  Harmony between the races, the brotherhood of man, love and peace, man.

Sly and the Family Stone - Everyday People

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #708 on: August 27, 2011, 04:52:32 am »
Love that sound, AC, great pick!  I'm so glad we have you back, even it if took a storm to do it, I've missed you.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #709 on: August 27, 2011, 11:38:47 pm »

Can't You Hear Me Knockin'

Yeah!  You got satin shoes!   

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #710 on: August 27, 2011, 11:44:51 pm »

TheRollingStones-under my Thumb-HQ

The garage band I was in played this.....ahh, the childhood memories. 

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #711 on: August 27, 2011, 11:49:23 pm »

Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter

Completes the trifecta!    :beer:

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #712 on: August 27, 2011, 11:53:34 pm »

Bus Stop- The Hollies - 1966

Love the Hollies!! 

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #713 on: August 28, 2011, 12:11:58 am »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #714 on: August 28, 2011, 12:13:03 am »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #715 on: August 28, 2011, 12:20:47 am »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #716 on: August 28, 2011, 12:22:05 am »

The Beatles - P.S. I Love You

how many times have I sung this..lol
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #717 on: August 28, 2011, 12:24:56 am »

The Beatles - Do You Want to Know a Secret

listen..do want to know a secret...
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #718 on: August 28, 2011, 01:08:37 am »
Thanks for all those, Myst.  Can never get enough of the Beatles.

Listened to all three!    :beer:

Offline DCPatriot

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #720 on: August 28, 2011, 01:21:56 am »
  Can never get enough of the Beatles.

me either..they were good times...
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #721 on: August 28, 2011, 01:22:34 am »

The Beatles-What You're Doing

Another fabulously under-rated song.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #722 on: August 28, 2011, 01:25:06 am »
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #723 on: August 28, 2011, 01:26:54 am »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #724 on: August 28, 2011, 01:31:25 am »