Author Topic: The Juke Box  (Read 342767 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: The Juke Box
« Reply #600 on: July 03, 2011, 05:06:22 am »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #601 on: July 03, 2011, 05:07:45 am »
Faith is not believing God can
Faith is Knowing God Will

"Senators more than House members & both more than ordinary people, lie."

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #602 on: July 03, 2011, 05:13:40 am »

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #603 on: July 03, 2011, 04:05:06 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #604 on: July 03, 2011, 04:10:32 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #605 on: July 03, 2011, 04:12:56 pm »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #606 on: July 03, 2011, 04:23:24 pm »
more good ones....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #607 on: July 03, 2011, 04:35:20 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #608 on: July 03, 2011, 04:38:32 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:47:18 pm by DCPatriot »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #610 on: July 03, 2011, 04:46:37 pm »
Ah..Karen Carpenter...what a voice...I remember reading that she had perfect pitch...she would have been almost 61 hard to imagine and what a total waste...soo sad.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #611 on: July 03, 2011, 04:50:55 pm »
Ah..Karen Carpenter...what a voice...I remember reading that she had perfect pitch...she would have been almost 61 hard to imagine and what a total waste...soo sad.

Yes....and the older I get, the more I realize it. 

Life is indeed....much too short.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #612 on: July 03, 2011, 04:52:29 pm »

Carpenters - Now (Karen Carpenter's LAST recording)

In June 1981, Karen and Richard released "Made In America" and made a world tour to promote the album with appearances in Brazil and Germany. In November of that year, she and Richard returned home to California. Karen and her husband Tom Burris formally separated that same month. Shortly after Christmas, Karen moved to New York to begin treatment for her anorexia. She sought treatment with noted psychotherapist Steven Levenkron who was noted for his research into anorexia nervosa and self injury.

In April 1982, she took a two-week vacation from her treatment and returned home to California. She and Richard returned to the studio and recorded several songs. At the time of this recording, Karen was heavily anorexic. Richard says she had lost even more weight since the last time he had seen her the year before. Karen returned to New York and stayed there until November 1982. During a two-month stay in a hospital, she was fed intravenously and gained 30 pounds. She returned home for Thanksgiving that year. Although she felt that she was cured, Richard says she just didn't look well and he told her so. The additional weight of 30 pounds added back suddenly on a body that had been underweight for so many years further strained her weakened heart, and she died of heart failure on the morning of February 4, 1983. She was just 32 years old, a month shy of her 33rd birthday.

Following Karen's death, Richard returned to the studio and worked on his and Karen's last recordings, including two of the songs she recorded in 1982 as well as other songs from previous recording sessions over the years before. "Now" was a work lead, recorded in one take, and was intended to familiarize the musicians with the song as well as Richard's arrangement. After a complete music track had been recorded, Karen would have returned to the studio and recorded new vocals for the song. But as it was, the work lead turned out to be the last song Karen ever recorded.

There's an old legend about the swan's song - how the Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) which is completely mute during its lifetime until the moment just before it dies, is said to sing one beautiful song. Over the years, listeners have commented on the lyrics of the song and knowing what we know now, wonder if perhaps Karen had had a premonition of what was to come. Indeed, "Now" can be said to have been Karen's "swan song."

Now

Now,
Now when it rains, I don't feel cold.
Now that I have your hand to hold,
The winds might blow through me
but I don't care.
There's no harm in thunder if you are there.

And now,
now when we touch, my feelings fly.
Now when I'm smiling, I know why.
You light up my world like the morning sun.
You're so deep within me, we're almost one.

And now all the fears that I had start to fade.
I was always afraid love might forget me,
love might let me down.
Then look who I found.

The winds might blow through me
but I don't care.
There's no harm in thunder if you are there.

And now, now,
now when I wake, there's someone home.
I'll never face the nights alone.
You gave me the courage I need to win,
to open my heart and to let you in.
And I never really knew how, until now,

Until now.

No, I never really knew how,
until now
Support the USO

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #613 on: July 03, 2011, 04:53:58 pm »

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #615 on: July 03, 2011, 06:36:53 pm »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #616 on: July 03, 2011, 06:38:05 pm »
Support the USO

Offline Queen

« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2011, 06:38:48 pm »

I wish you could hear my Michelle.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #618 on: July 03, 2011, 06:39:05 pm »
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #619 on: July 03, 2011, 06:41:36 pm »
Support the USO

Offline 69FenderStrat

• my band
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #620 on: July 04, 2011, 07:01:43 pm »
As a July 4th prelude, how about a little George M. Cohan?

These two cats weren’t exactly in their prime when they did this, but you’d never know it. (Bob Hope was 52, James Cagney 56.) Here’s an exuberant celebration of talent, tenacity, and pure terpsichorean joy. It’s a reminder that, in the great dance of life, we’re all ageless.

Great Dance Routine: James Cagney and Bob Hope

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOoNOs8Ql28

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #621 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:33 pm »

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #622 on: July 04, 2011, 10:52:54 pm »

Marilyn Monroe

She's Got the Look!

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #623 on: July 05, 2011, 02:01:11 am »

Offline Queen

« Reply #624 on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:56 am »