Author Topic: Trump is waging asymmetric warfare – and it’s working  (Read 162 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Trump is waging asymmetric warfare – and it’s working
The Critic/UK, Sep 30, 2020

Trump is a streetfighter waging asymmetric warfare against a traditional foe who is reviewing the rules of engagement and consulting the lawyers back at headquarters before doing anything. And all the while he’s getting pummelled. Idealists will say that it wasn’t very presidential, that they didn’t dig into policy and educate the American people, where was the dignity?

[...]

One of the most interesting and telling exchanges came about an hour into the debate. In some ways each man showed himself in his purest form. Joe Biden delivered what was very obviously a well-rehearsed, set-piece attack on President Trump. You could see the windup, like a boxer pulling his arm way back, fist clenched, preparing to deliver the knockout blow. Biden started by repeating the accusation that Trump disrespectfully criticises the military, calling them losers and suckers. The story has been debunked repeatedly by multiple sources including those hostile to the president like John Bolton.

But it’s part of the Biden campaign’s strategy. So he levels the accusations and then begins to eulogise his son, Beau Biden, who served in Iraq, and later died of brain cancer. This makes it all personal to Joe, you see. He’s defending his dead son against a mythical slander from the bad orange man. Biden even points a finger at Trump, “My son is not a loser!” 

And just so, Trump. He looked at his podium and quietly, respectfully, asked, which son Biden was talking about. Of course, he knew, but he played the game forcing Biden to respond, Beau. “Oh, I don’t know him. I know Hunter.”

And then listed the accusations against Hunter: he took a $1.5 billion investment from China into the fledgling investment company he ran with John Kerry’s son while his father was Vice President and en route to China.  He received $3.5 million from the mayor of Moscow. He had a sinecure from a Ukranian energy company while his father was Obama’s pointman on Ukraine policy.  It was as sweet a move as I’ve ever seen. The knockout punch was coming with all the force Joe Biden could muster and Trump simply sidestepped it and counterpunched.

More: https://thecritic.co.uk/trump-is-waging-asymmetric-warfare-and-its-working/

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 03:10:42 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Trump is waging asymmetric warfare – and it’s working
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 03:17:43 pm »
A view from across the pond ..

Offline RedHead

Re: Trump is waging asymmetric warfare – and it’s working
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 03:41:36 pm »
How do we know it's working until the election is over?