Author Topic: Collins says she will vote 'no' on Supreme Court nominee before election  (Read 339 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Collins says she will vote 'no' on Supreme Court nominee before election
By Jordain Carney - 09/22/20 03:36 PM EDT

Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), who is facing a tough re-election bid, said on Tuesday that she will vote against a Supreme Court nominee if one is brought to the Senate floor before the November election.

“My statement was a model of clarity. ... I made it very clear, yes, that I did not think there should be a vote prior to the election. And if there is one, I would oppose the nominee," Collins told reporters, when asked if she would oppose a nominee before the election.

Collins added that her decision was not based on whomever the nominee is but because of the proximity of the election and the decision by Republicans in 2016 to refuse to move forward with Merrick Garland, then-President Obama's Supreme Court nominee.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517622-collins-says-she-will-vote-no-on-supreme-court-nominee-before-election
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online dfwgator

Re: Collins says she will vote 'no' on Supreme Court nominee before election
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 08:22:36 pm »
Enjoy your retirement, Susan.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 08:29:52 pm »
Why does Collins claim to be a Repulsion?
So obvious that she is a Leftist/Marxist/Communist Democrat.

You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 09:17:42 pm »
“Values are no longer the premise by which we shape our lives. Rather, they have become the pitifully abhorrent and wholly illegitimate obstacle to our desires. We have labeled them as some dusty set of antiquated ideals. These ideals served a generation that lived out its days in the backwaters of an ignorance fed comatose by intellectual stupor."

I would contend that this is in fact an apt description of today’s GOP members like Collins.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 09:40:46 pm »
Collins is in a tough reelection bid, so I would ask her to do what she thinks she needs to do in order to keep the seat.  This is far from her first rodeo.  Did anybody here count on that vote? 

I expect Murkowski to be a squish, too, and that's without a threat to her reelection.

And I still have a bet riding on Romney, because we have yet to sound the depth of his hatred for Donald Trump.  Gardner will do what he wants and will follow Lamar! Alexander, who says he's good with a vote before the election.

Manchin?  Don't make me laugh.....

@mountaineer

If all else fails, but we still have the Senate and Presidency, Trump can simply resubmit in the next Congress.  I've been thinking a blue wave is not going to appear in the Senate, despite the odds in numbers (we have 2/3rds of the seats up for reelection).  I even have some hope for McSally.  If she loses, it complicates things in the lame duck session, because she may have to surrender the seat in November.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 09:51:31 pm »
I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision to vote for her in order to keep the Senate or not vote for her because she's a liberal.

The Senate is up for grabs period and it's not going to be easy to hold on to.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 09:56:28 pm »
I'm glad that I don't have to make the decision to vote for her in order to keep the Senate or not vote for her because she's a liberal.

The Senate is up for grabs period and it's not going to be easy to hold on to.

I don't call people from Maine "Mainiacs" for nothing, doll....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Mesaclone

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 11:28:11 pm »
Collins is in a tough reelection bid, so I would ask her to do what she thinks she needs to do in order to keep the seat.  This is far from her first rodeo.  Did anybody here count on that vote? 

I expect Murkowski to be a squish, too, and that's without a threat to her reelection.

And I still have a bet riding on Romney, because we have yet to sound the depth of his hatred for Donald Trump.  Gardner will do what he wants and will follow Lamar! Alexander, who says he's good with a vote before the election.

Manchin?  Don't make me laugh.....

@mountaineer

If all else fails, but we still have the Senate and Presidency, Trump can simply resubmit in the next Congress.  I've been thinking a blue wave is not going to appear in the Senate, despite the odds in numbers (we have 2/3rds of the seats up for reelection).  I even have some hope for McSally.  If she loses, it complicates things in the lame duck session, because she may have to surrender the seat in November.

I'm not a fan of hers either but the truth is we need her...its going to be extremely close in terms of hitting that magic 50 number for the incoming Senate. She certainly isn't conservative, but she is FAR less liberal than the Dem who would take her place...and as that may put the GOP in the minority it would render all of Trump's efforts to populate the courts....not talking Supreme here...with conservatives. If we lose the Senate...the judicial appointments stop. If the cost of keeping that going is to let Susan Collins vote no...than I hope she votes no.
We have the best government that money can buy. Mark Twain

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 11:36:02 pm »
I'm not a fan of hers either but the truth is we need her...its going to be extremely close in terms of hitting that magic 50 number for the incoming Senate. She certainly isn't conservative, but she is FAR less liberal than the Dem who would take her place...and as that may put the GOP in the minority it would render all of Trump's efforts to populate the courts....not talking Supreme here...with conservatives. If we lose the Senate...the judicial appointments stop. If the cost of keeping that going is to let Susan Collins vote no...than I hope she votes no.

If the GOP loses the Senate it IS game over.  Keeping the Senate is absolutely critical. 

If Trump wins he's going to need the power of the Senate.  If Biden wins, the GOP's only hope will be having a majority in the Senate.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 11:41:31 pm »

I have to wonder how she sees her opposing this SCOTUS nominee working out for her, 'cause I don't get it.

Rats will not vote for her no matter what, so she's dependent upon the GOP vote turning out, and Trump has a 90% approval among republicans.