Author Topic: Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote  (Read 1244 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote
« on: September 22, 2020, 07:22:25 pm »
Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote
The Hill, Sep 22, 2020

Billionaire Michael Bloomberg has reportedly raised more than $16 million in an effort to help convicted felons in Florida register to vote.

The Florida Rights Restoration Coalition estimated Bloomberg's fundraising push has already paid off monetary obligations for 32,000 felons, Axios reported.

"The right to vote is fundamental to our democracy and no American should be denied that right," a Bloomberg spokesperson told the news outlet. "Working together with the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, we are determined to end disenfranchisement and the discrimination that has always driven it."

Florida passed a law in 2018 reinstating voting rights for felons that dictated they could register only if they pay all fines, fees and restitution — sometimes totaling more than $1,000 — owed to the government.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/517522-bloomberg-pays-fines-for-32000-felons-in-florida-so-they-can-vote

Offline skeeter

Re: Bloomberg pays fines for 32,000 felons in Florida so they can vote
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 07:31:00 pm »
Minimike is vying with Soros for the title of Anti-American billionaire *sshole of the Year.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 10:11:38 pm »
Minimike is vying with Soros for the title of Anti-American billionaire *sshole of the Year.

Still you've got to give him credit.  If Florida is going to be as close as people say then 32,000 potential voters can make a big difference. 

Offline skeeter

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 10:20:48 pm »
Still you've got to give him credit.  If Florida is going to be as close as people say then 32,000 potential voters can make a big difference.
Nah. No I don't.

And I do not believe it will be close. Not on election night, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:22:30 pm by skeeter »

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 10:33:22 pm »
Li'l Mike and Big Jerk.
LeBron James seeks to help pay fines owed by Florida felons so they can vote in November: Report
by Madison Dibble, Breaking News Reporter |
 | September 22, 2020 05:32 PM

Print this article

NBA star LeBron James has reportedly been reaching out to convicted felons to help them pay any lingering fines that are preventing them from being able to vote.

James has partnered with the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition to send text messages to notify anyone who may qualify for the assistance, according to OutKick.

"We're teaming up with LeBron James to break down barriers to voting for people w/ felony convictions. Do you know anyone that needs their fines & fees paid off so they can vote?" one of the text messages reads.  ...
Washington Examiner

Outkick:
LeBron Actively Looking to Pay Convicted Felons’ Fines to Vote in Election
by Bobby Burack
updated about 6 hours ago   

Celebrities and athletes are known to endorse presidential candidates. LeBron James is taking that initiative a step further.

LeBron and the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition are actively sending text messages to residents for the purpose of forwarding them to convicted felons, Outkick has learned. ...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 10:45:55 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:24 pm »

Credit for buying an election???
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 10:37:48 pm »

Seriously?  Bribery is now okay with you.  Is there ANYTHING you won't do to get Slo Joe installed @RedHead

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:27 pm »
Rep. Matt Gaetz
@RepMattGaetz

#BREAKING: I'm calling on the Florida Attorney General to launch an investigation into @MikeBloomberg for potentially engaging in bribery and vote buying in the state of Florida.

Video:

https://twitter.com/RepMattGaetz/status/1308520026950037509

5:34 PM · Sep 22, 2020·Twitter Media Studio

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:45 pm »
Rep. Matt Gaetz   @RepMattGaetz
#BREAKING: I'm calling on the Florida Attorney General to launch an investigation into @MikeBloomberg for potentially engaging in bribery and vote buying in the state of Florida.
5:34 PM · Sep 22, 2020
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RedHead

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 10:41:11 pm »

Candidates have been buying elections since forever. 

Offline RedHead

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 10:42:24 pm »
Rep. Matt Gaetz   @RepMattGaetz
5:34 PM · Sep 22, 2020

Is Bloomberg making his charity dependent on voting for a specific candidate?  If he isn't then Gaetz doesn't have a case.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 10:43:19 pm »
Seriously?  Bribery is now okay with you.  Is there ANYTHING you won't do to get Slo Joe installed @RedHead
Is Bloomberg making his charity dependent on the person voting for a specific candidate?  If he isn't then how is it bribery? 

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 10:55:34 pm »
Is Bloomberg making his charity dependent on the person voting for a specific candidate?  If he isn't then how is it bribery?

That's what the call for an investigation is all about.

Think before you try to snark @RedHead

Offline RedHead

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 11:09:47 pm »
That's what the call for an investigation is all about.

Think before you try to snark @RedHead

No the investigation is about Bloomberg upsetting the Florida legislature's plan to ensure convicted felons don't vote.  I think studies have shown that they tend to vote Democrat and the legislature tried to make sure that they couldn't vote.  They didn't see Bloomberg coming apparently.  I may disagree with his intent but I've got to giving grudging credit for the way he outsmarted the Florida legislature.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 11:12:56 pm »

:facepalm2:

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 11:13:58 pm »
No the investigation is about Bloomberg upsetting the Florida legislature's plan to ensure convicted felons don't vote.  I think studies have shown that they tend to vote Democrat and the legislature tried to make sure that they couldn't vote.  They didn't see Bloomberg coming apparently.  I may disagree with his intent but I've got to giving grudging credit for the way he outsmarted the Florida legislature.

:facepalm2:

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 11:21:33 pm »

Paying for votes has always been illegal. And openly attempting it doesn't take alot of brains.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 11:23:49 pm by skeeter »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 02:47:50 am »
No the investigation is about Bloomberg upsetting the Florida legislature's plan to ensure convicted felons don't vote. 

It's absolutely not @RedHead  The FL Supreme Court just upheld felons must pay their fines in order to vote. Hence, the potential vote buying by Minimike and the need for an investigation into such illegal activity.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 05:07:18 am »
Credit, Hell, that sumbeech better pay CASH!

(and use the money to FUND THE POLICE!)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:09:35 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline RedHead

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 10:51:59 am »
Paying for votes has always been illegal. And openly attempting it doesn't take alot of brains.
Of course it is.  How many times have presidents or senators or congressmen announced major spending initiatives in toss-up states and districts just before an election?  Politics is a full-contact sport.  Both sides on an election will take whatever steps they can to win.

Offline RedHead

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 10:53:30 am »
It's absolutely not @RedHead  The FL Supreme Court just upheld felons must pay their fines in order to vote. Hence, the potential vote buying by Minimike and the need for an investigation into such illegal activity.
So the Florida legislature tried to suppress the vote and Bloomberg outsmarted them.  Where is the illegality?  Think of it as 32,000 gofundme sites.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2020, 11:22:22 am »
So the Florida legislature tried to suppress the vote and Bloomberg outsmarted them.  Where is the illegality?  Think of it as 32,000 gofundme sites.
Well, the Florida Supreme Court upheld the law that the fines had to be paid before rights were reinstated, which makes sense, considering fines are part of a sentence (and sometimes the whole thing) which in most states must be fully served before rights are reinstated. Nothing unusual about that, when the sentence is fully served, it is done and the debt to society is paid. No I.O.U.s, but paid in full. 

So, Bloomberg just picked up the tab for these 32,000 felons, and it's an obvious vote buying ploy in a battlefield state, not something done out of the goodness of his heart, otherwise, he'd be doing the same thing in Iowa and North Dakota, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2020, 11:57:02 am »
I doubt there is a state in the Union that doesn't have laws prohibiting the exchange of something of value for a vote.  Here is just a snippet of Florida's law:

No person shall directly or indirectly give or promise anything of value to another intending thereby to buy that person’s or another’s vote or to corruptly influence that person or another in casting his or her vote. Any person who violates this subsection is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. ...

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2018/Chapter104/All

And, although it never seems to matter anymore, Bloomberg's move is ethically bankrupt.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2020, 12:45:36 pm »
I'm sure Mr. Gun-Control-Bloomberg vetted these felons to ensure none of their crimes involved a firearm.  He is, after all, principled. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2020, 12:57:50 pm »
The word you are looking for is chicanery.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley