Author Topic: The US Navy Has Drifted Badly Off Course  (Read 170 times)

rangerrebew

The US Navy Has Drifted Badly Off Course
« on: September 22, 2020, 11:43:56 am »

The US Navy Has Drifted Badly Off Course

Three main failures are imperiling the sea service, writes the service’s former chief learning officer.
By John R. Kroger
Vice President, Aspen Institute
September 21, 2020 10:53 AM ET

During the past year, I worked in the E-Ring of the Pentagon as the Navy’s chief learning officer, reporting directly to the Secretary of the Navy. For much of that time, I attended the secretary’s senior staff meetings and participated in periodic intelligence and war games briefings. I was deeply impressed with the professionalism and integrity of the men and women with whom I served. I was disturbed, however, by many signs that under the Trump Administration, the Navy has drifted badly off course.

Over the last four years, the Navy’s civilian leaders have failed to define a compelling vision for the Navy’s future, reform a badly broken ship design and acquisition system, or build a diverse, high-performing leadership team. These failures – caused, in part, by rapid turnover in leadership, with five different Secretaries or acting Secretaries of the Navy serving on average for only nine months — have damaged Navy effectiveness, undercut morale, and jeopardized national security.

https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2020/09/navy-has-drifted-badly-course/168632/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: The US Navy Has Drifted Badly Off Course
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:41:15 pm »
@rangerrebew

Over the last four years, the Navy’s civilian leaders have failed to define a compelling vision for the Navy’s future

Uhhhh,that is the duty of the career senior officers,not politicians that know nothing of the Navy or Naval Warfare.

reform a badly broken ship design and acquisition system

THAT'S the ticket! Put people in charge of ship design and purchases that know not a single damn thing about either,so they can tell the professionals how to do it,while blaming Trump for not fixing what Obama and his flunkies broke.

or build a diverse, high-performing leadership team.

Yup,promoting minorities to leadership position purely BECAUSE they are minorities puts the cherry on the top of THAT cake!

Sounds like somebody lost some Navy contracts and bonus pay,doesn't it?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

Re: The US Navy Has Drifted Badly Off Course
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 01:51:12 pm »
Protecting US territorial waters and keeping international sea lanes open for commerce and transit isn't a good enough "vision" anymore?